SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Large dog owners...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large dog owners... Login/Join 
posted
What do you do when your dog needs to go to the vet, or, worse, the emergency room, and he/she is unable to get into the car, and is too big/heavy to lift/carry? I've only had experience with dogs I could pick up and carry by myself. I have a friend with a Great Pyrenees that is getting old and frail. I dread the day when he needs help and can't get himself into the car, or when it's time for that final trip to the hospital. My friend sometimes wears blinders about such things, and I don't know if she has thought it through. The few times I've tiptoed around the subject, it's clear she doesn't want to talk about it. I'd like to have a plan.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
She will call you...That's her plan.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
She will call you...That's her plan.

That's exactly what I'm concerned about, and I want to know what to do. I can't lift him (recent hernia surgery), and neither can she.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of options for this situation.

A ramp
A lifting harness that makes it easier.

With a ramp it's a good idea to get one and get the pup to use it before he needs it.

Posts: 12950 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We have mobile vets in our area that come to your house. I'd check in your area for the service. I'm sure they are prepared for dealing with large dogs.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

A ramp

With a ramp it's a good idea to get one and get the pup to use it before he needs it.

Thanks, Jeff. I thought you might have some ideas. But I am speaking about a situation in which he can't or won't walk up a ramp on his own. I thought about a rigid stretcher or something that we could lift/slide him onto, but that would still require us to lift about 125 lbs.

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Besides a ramp which some dogs don't like there are folding steps, kinda clunky but my Italian Mastiff was able to use it.

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
my vet does home visits when it was time to put my buddy down it was only $45.00 more for a home visit money well spent she went on her favorite pillow with her family by her side in her own house

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
We have mobile vets in our area that come to your house. I'd check in your area for the service. I'm sure they are prepared for dealing with large dogs.

Jim

This was another thing I thought of. I figured there must be some of those around. Perhaps her own; she's gone to them for many years through four dogs.

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Another vote for mobile vet. They are a god send.

Posts: 2589 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor who had a VERY large dog that couldn't walk due to injury. We got him on one of those dollys that convert to a cart with some plywood attached and rolled him up some 2x12 ramps into the back of his truck.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
As my lab got older I had to carry him in and out of the car and then into the vet near the end. He was 105lbs. I was able to carry him myself but I know most people couldn't.

My vet's office is very close to me and I have been going there with dogs for years. Near the end, my vet stopped by my house a few times.

We build a ramp for the front steps but my lab would never use them. That may work if the dog will use them.

You can take a towel and use it as a sling under the dog's chest. This only works if the dog can partially stand walk on their own. I did this after a leg surgery and it worked but near the end, it carry him or nothing.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

A ramp

Thanks, Jeff. I thought you might have some ideas. But I am speaking about a situation in which he can't or won't walk up a ramp on his own. I thought about a rigid stretcher or something that we could lift/slide him onto, but that would still require us to lift about 125 lbs.

A Mobile Vet would be a great option.

Posts: 12950 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

This was another thing I thought of. I figured there must be some of those around. Perhaps her own; she's gone to them for many years through four dogs.

Our practice now does house calls for routine things (vaccines, etc) but we have always made it a policy to do house calls on immobile pets we've been caring for. These are the times they (and their owners) need us the most, and it'd be a shame to let them down. I'd betcha a coke that her vet will come through for her.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have a couple of 140# dogs. Luckily, our vet lives right across the street, but his office is about 7 miles distant. Either way, in an emergency, he will take care of us. My wife can still lift one of the big guys into her SUV. I cannot anymore. We are safe. Our next dogs, as we age, we have already decided, will be much smaller.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. I think I'm getting the picture. She's actually very good with dogs and probably has thought it through but just didn't want to talk about it (her dogs mean the world to her). I wanted some ideas of my own. Thanks for the replies.

Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
We've always just gotten a few folks to help lift ours (110+ pounds) into the back of our SUV. At the vet, they usually have a gurney or something and enough hands to make unloading possible. Especially when time is of the essence, as it has been for us a few time unfortunately.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked Zoe up and put her into the truck for the last two months of her life. She was a 75 lb. Rottweiler, and she would help me. We had a ramp but t was not stable enough for her. When she died and I had to take her to the vet for cremation, she felt like she weighed a hundred pounds.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two strong people can slide a dog onto a tarp or blanket and then lift and pull the sheet+dog into a four door or van.

Single handed I don't think there is a real answer. If a large dog is unwilling, comatose, or otherwise unable to help, it is as though you were attempting to do a dead lift of say 140#. 140#s of limp fur without handles and with legs and head in the way.

The chance of injuring the animal or yourself are evident. Furthermore unless you have car or truck with a lot of space, picking the animal up is just the beginning of your problem.

This is exactly why my wife and I no longer have a dog, we kept Borzois for years, the last one weighed 127# and was a struggle to even help into the back of our van.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post

A heavy blanket instead of a tarp would also work.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post