SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Large dog owners...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large dog owners... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
More good thoughts. Thanks.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what to do as I get older because I love large dogs. I have had to help out in a situation where I use to work. My boss rented the stables on the property he kept the horses that I trained. I was working a bit later than usual & the owner of the property approached me in panick mode. She knew I lifted weights & 1 of her 2 large, not-so-friendly Rottweilers was having a seizure & she couldn't lift it. She had already had a talk with her vet about seizures so she was freaking out about the dog possibly biting me in the process. I grew up on a farm with all kinds of animals so I was more concerned for the dog. Dog pulled thru & the owner really appreciated me after that. Even got me a new job after I moved to another state through some of her connections.

There are so many large breed dogs I'd love to have, but it's very rare that I am drawn to a small one. My last dog that got really old wasn't that big & I was younger & it was a bit of a pain to lift her in & out of the truck when she got older. I have been thinking about that for when it does come time for my "next" dog. (Hopefully a long time from now cos I love my dog I currently have) I want him to live for as long as I live. We are bonded & the other will probably dye of a broken heart when one of us does dye.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Mobile vet, find one now when you don't need it yet and have the info ready for when you do

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I don't consider myself large, but others might....Well, I'm 6'2" and have crept up to about 210-215, so I should probably loose 20+ pounds or so,....Wait, you're talking about the dog being large?
Mine's only about 50 lbs., but she's a Big Sweety, and also nuttier than a fruit cake.
But I digress....

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had to do this with two dogs, 120lbs and 85lbs. I put them on a strong blanket and then pickup the blanket. It's easier with two people, one on each end. But I also did it by myself with the 85lb dog when I was in my late 20's. Those 1" thick dog blankets they sell at Costco are a good size and strong enough for this.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post