SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buy low, sell high
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buy low, sell high Login/Join 
Picture of JR78
posted
Taking advantage of the recent banking crisis, I bought 500 shares of Credit Suisse for $1.96 a share. It closed at $2.16 today. One financial “expert” recently said it’s valuation will increase by 140%. I have sell order in when it hits $5.00. Capitalism at it’s best.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Hope it works out for you. I have only tried single investments a few times and it never worked out for me, but I am not an investment knowledgeable person.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Hope it works out for you. I have only tried single investments a few times and it never worked out for me, but I am not an investment knowledgeable person.

Smart. Buying single stocks for the average person over the long haul has proven to be way less successful. I don’t do it because it makes me watch and stress too much.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Looking back at their history for the last year ... $5 was the high, and they kept moving slowly down from there. And even looking at the 5 year trend ... $8 was the high with the same downward trend.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You never make 100% of the shots you don’t take. I’m still kicking myself for missing Apple at $3 a share when Microsoft invested in them so they wouldn’t go under and leave Microsoft exposed to monopoly regulation.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Not a very good looking chart. I would play elsewhere.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
It appears to be an impulsive decision, now with some trepidation and second guessing, and hoping for encouragement from the forum.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
One financial “expert” recently said it’s valuation will increase by 140%.

Jim Cramer?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8892 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Credit Suisse

$1.99 pre-market

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24120 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
One financial “expert” recently said it’s valuation will increase by 140%.

Jim Cramer?

There's an inverse Cramer ETF. And yes this same guy said to buy up SVB a few weeks ago.

Inverse Cramer

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've heard rumor there is a bank in California who's stock is really down at the moment. Might be a good buy.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I admire people who have the guts and determination to invest in single stocks, but it's not something I have the tolerance for.

When / if the price hits $5, you gain about $3 per share, so about $1,500 profit before broker fees and taxes. Per my personal analysis, I would have to invest a LOT more to make it worth the trouble, but I couldn't take the stress.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Should have bought some of those new fangled bitcoins when they were less than a dime a piece. Eek

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
You never make 100% of the shots you don’t take. I’m still kicking myself for missing Apple at $3 a share

But you're not kicking yourself for missing Lehman Brothers at $3 a share, circa September 2008...

Posts: 32516 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Calling the bottom is never a good thing. It really can't get much lower. It either has to go up or this company that was founded in 1856 will go under.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
It either has to go up or this company that was founded in 1856 will go under.

This company that was founded in 1856 but that has lost over 30% of its stock value in the past 3 months, and over 70% in the past year.

Most of my post is tongue-in-cheek. But no, I'm not hopeful about CS's long-term prospects.

Posts: 32516 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Credit Suisse is about $2.02 so you're still positive at the moment (8am Pacific).

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
One of my other impulsive buys was 500 share of Apple in 1987 for a ridiculous cost of around $21 a share. I still have a little over 30,000 shares after all the splits.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
One of my other impulsive buys was 500 share of Apple in 1987 for a ridiculous cost of around $21 a share. I still have a little over 30,000 shares after all the splits.

Wow. Nice win. At this point you will need to just leave that to your kids and let them enjoy the step up in basis upon your demise, hopefully in many more years. I hate the .gov wasting my taxes so much I’d give it to charity before selling and paying all those taxes. I Assume you don’t have 1mm in unrealised losses to offset it.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:

Need to adopt a fully grown son? Razz

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5754 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post