SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New glass cooktop replacement? Appliance Brad some help maybe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New glass cooktop replacement? Appliance Brad some help maybe? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I rent an apartment and I quickly ruined the paint on the glass cooktop (it was new when I moved in). I hate to admit it but I think I actually scrubbed it off with a scrub pad and barkeepers friend.

Anyhow I'm likely to be charged eventually when I move out since it was brand new. I'm hoping to buy new glass and have it ready to replace before I move out. So far it seems to be about $300 and replaces the entire top, not just the glass.
Any chance there is a cheaper option to replace just the glass? The model number is below...

GE

JBS60DF3WW

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
We have a glass top at home and it's held up well using only water, Fantastic, or the special glass-top polish. But what I see pictured is precisely why I put element ranges (and laminate flooring) in our apartments.

Did the landlord furnish you with the special "what to" and "what not to" instructions for caring for the top and what kind of pans to use and not use? For instance just using cast iron pans can cause that. Personally I would call the landlord over and go over the issue with him. As far as I know it's still 100% functional just cosmetic. As a landlord, and assuming we had gone over the specific care instructions (which we would have), I would probably assess you 50% of the top replacement cost and leave the top on. We would then have to declare the extent of the existing damage on the next lease so they couldn't be held responsible for the same damage. If they happened to completely ruin the top, or the stove itself, I'd deduct what we kept from you from their replacement which is only fair.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
They left the manual with the stove. Having never had one of these I thought the lines were painted under the glass. I basically scrubbed the shit out of it trying to remove black stuff that turned out not to be there.

I'm not really in any mood to talk to the landlord and I'm not moving for another year at a minimum. If they were to assess me 50% that would likely be the same as I'll pay to replace it because I'm sure they would include labor in that cost. If the glass was available for under $200 I'd just order it and have it ready to replace before I leave here. I fucked it up so I'll take responsibility.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much does that model range cost? Might look into buying a new one and storing it until you move.

Might be the most cost effective way to go.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I would argue that the cooktop has acceptable wear as you have to cook on SOMETHING, and a second rate cooktop was what was provided.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34133 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
If you are staying another year I wouldn't worry about it for 8 or 9 months. Anything can happen stove could fail and replaced under warranty, the apartment could burn down and that stove would be the least of your worries.

Go to big box hardware store to their appliance section and get a scrapper, and glass polish so you don't do anymore damage.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I searched your model number with this company and came up,with this part. It appears to be a replacement for the range top and not just the glass. Hope this helps.

https://www.repairclinic.com/P...2X25973/4392827?mr=1

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
I searched your model number with this company and came up,with this part. It appears to be a replacement for the range top and not just the glass. Hope this helps.

https://www.repairclinic.com/P...2X25973/4392827?mr=1

Yeah that's what I came up with also. Was hoping maybe the glass alone was available for less money.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
When we built our house, I wanted an induction cooktop. I found one on eBay for dirt cheap because the glass was cracked. I got a replacement from Marcone here in St Louis. They are an appliance distributor. That may be an option for you. If you google them, their contact info will show up.

Posts: 2159 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Looks like the damage is confined to the inner ring mostly. Perhaps you could remove the rest of that ring and no one would miss it! Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I would argue that the cooktop has acceptable wear as you have to cook on SOMETHING, and a second rate cooktop was what was provided.

this ^

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
If you are staying another year I wouldn't worry about it for 8 or 9 months. Anything can happen stove could fail and replaced under warranty, the apartment could burn down and that stove would be the least of your worries.

Go to big box hardware store to their appliance section and get a scrapper, and glass polish so you don't do anymore damage.

This. I would wait till you get much closer. I'm a landlord, quite honestly if you were a good tenant (paid rent on time etc., been there a few years) I wouldn't charge you for that. It does not hurt to ask the landlord.

You should be able to buy that range new for less than $500, should be able to get $250 or so selling that one, might be an easier way to do things when the time comes

I use a new razor blade to scrape off the baked on stuff on my glass cooktop and then the weimans polish to get the other stuff off.

I have been switching to glass in my rentals because I was sick and tired of always replacing burner pans, the burners never sitting right on the replacement pans, etc. etc. between every tenant.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post