SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting eaten alive on my porch....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting eaten alive on my porch.... Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Not sure what type of critter it is, I know it's not mosquitoes, but something is eating us alive on our back porch. I have tried spraying the yard and porch area with the yard sprays from Lowes to no avail, I guess we could just spray off every time we go out but that's a pain in the ass.

Property is grass and borders a fairway up here in NE TX, we do have dogs on both sides but I would have thought if they were fleas we would have them inside by now.

Any ideas what they are and how to kill the bastages off, it really makes enjoying our back yard difficult.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Noseeums, maybe. Little bitty noxious biting gnats. Repellent is your only recourse, in my experience.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
My legs look like I've got the measles or chicken pox. They attack me in swarms. Long pants would probably help, but they're not my style.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Noseeums, maybe. Little bitty noxious biting gnats. Repellent is your only recourse, in my experience.

My thought, too. Nasty critters that seem to appear in waves, sometimes. And like moskeetoes, their bite does not register until after they are gone.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thermacell.

I've got billions of them things at my place. The good thing is that ours don't bite, they're just annoying as hell when clouds of them show up.

The Thermacell does a great job of keeping the bugs away.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If it's fleas you'll usually get more bites under clothing, as opposed to a lot of bites only on exposed skin, which means probably mosquitoes or biting gnats. Chiggers mostly bite the legs and ankles, and one bite can be incredibly itchy for days, in my experience.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You might try daubing campho-phenique on the bites. That gives me some relief for the itching.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
sounds like no see ums....we had them at my first unit...I would routinely walk over to the boat and get a handful of diesel and smear it all over my arms to keep them away....

other guys used Skin So Soft..but the gnats just drowned int he oil on them....

the military DEET would keep them away but I found the diesel or bilge slop would repel them too...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might try daubing campho-phenique on the bites. That gives me some relief for the itching.
Hydrocortisone cream works well for me.

If I don't douse my lower legs with DEET when I go to our gun club I get some bites that are very itchy / irritated shortly after. Pretty sure that they're fire ants, although I haven't actually seen them. Sneaky bastages.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
we use these... https://www.amazon.com/Dynatra...iginal/dp/B000H68U9K

we have a lot of ivy in our back yard, a creek, and a lot of shade, so mosquitoes are a big problem. we still have skeeters but typically not within 30' or so of our Dynatraps.

It is not a zapper. It is just a UVF light, CO2 emitter, and a fan that sucks bugs into a little trap until they die. It makes no noise and emits no smell. You have to empty it every 4-6 months which is very easy.

It would probably work well on gnats, but we don't have them this far north in Ga.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for a screened in porch?

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Their anatomy consists of wings and teeth only.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Permethrin - cheap & kills just about any insect & is about the safest insecticide.
It's about $20/gallon in concentrate. Spray the porch, doorways, landscaping & yard close by.

then use something with the highest DEET % you can find.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a decent powered fan out there.

They are weak fliers and can't overcome a windy breeze.

"Pull out the fan

Use an electric fan while you're outside as mosquitoes aren’t powerful enough to fight the air current, Joe Conlon of the American Mosquito Control Association said. Plus, fans disperse the odor trails that mosquitoes follow to reach you and your guests."

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Mosquitos love me but when I'm smoking a cigar they don't come near me Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
sounds like no see ums....we had them at my first unit...I would routinely walk over to the boat and get a handful of diesel and smear it all over my arms to keep them away....

other guys used Skin So Soft..but the gnats just drowned int he oil on them....

the military DEET would keep them away but I found the diesel or bilge slop would repel them too...

Something a lot nicer is to simply attach a Bounce sheet to your shirt. Wife puts it on the back of my shirt with a safety pin.

Keeps the bugs away! Really works, too.

Had a confirmation from a VA state game officer. He agreed and said that he always used them when not in uniform. Some regulation prevented him from using it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Hydrocortisone cream works well for me.

If I don't douse my lower legs with DEET when I go to our gun club I get some bites that are very itchy / irritated shortly after. Pretty sure that they're fire ants, although I haven't actually seen them. Sneaky bastages.

If fire ants are equal to the red ants we have around here, there is no delay between the bite/sting and the pain.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I use AftaBite on bites.
Any repellent with DEET works well to keep the nasties away.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have them here, outside of man made things, the best bug killers are bats, they eat a ton of the skeeters, noseeums etc., we have some that moved into the natural area close by, since then, we no see um no seeums...

Or go big time with a propane powered bug killer.. These are used to clear larger areas
of skeeters etc...

http://propanemosquitotrap.com/

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I hate DEET.

Picaridin is where it's at.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post