SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone in here know about labor laws concerning "on call" time?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone in here know about labor laws concerning "on call" time? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, Did you leave the house and go to a place of work and then told No, or was this over the phone?

What type of work?

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bearstarr:
Yesterday, Did you leave the house and go to a place of work and then told No, or was this over the phone?

What type of work?[/QUOT

In this case I spent an hour working at home and didn't leave the house. Usually these calls involve roughly 30-60 min on the phone then head in to work to hand over the parts. I get 2 hours pay if I invoice parts and charge the call out fee. In this case nothing was billed so I won't be paid. So far it's happen like that two times this week.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look at two things and I no I'am not a Lawyer.

They are paying you to be on call, just not a lot. That is the 1.25 an hour for only 40 hours ($50).
I would tell them to take that away and pay a per hour on call rate you will have to negotiate.
Besides my "on call" pay
I get one hour of overtime for answering the phone to start.
If I go in, it is two hour min call out at overtime.
Sounds like you need to get all the people "on call" as a group to sign on also.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just handed in my notice to the company today after almost 20 years of working there. It's sad really, it used to be a real good place to work. The company ended up responding to our inquiry for better pay while on call with no extra pay and even more restrictions on our time off. It was retaliation for those of us that filed the ethics complaint. Mix that in with shitty new managers from California which we merged with earlier this year and now it's an awful place to be.

So I will be without a job for the first time in my life, I have no idea what I'll do next but I think it's time for a change in my career path. I'm lucky enough to be financially capable of not working for while so I think about what I want to do next and make a plan.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that it came to that.
Now that your days are numbered at this company, care to share the name?
Not much we can do to help, but at least we can steer clear of them... perhaps.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
8. What constitutes “on-call” time and when is it considered “hours worked”?
Whether or not employees are "working" during on-call depends upon whether they are required to remain on or so close to the employer's premises that they cannot use the time effectively for their own purposes.
Employees who are not required to remain on the employer's premises but are merely required to leave word with company officials or at their homes as to where they may be reached are not working while on-call. If the employer places restrictions on where and when the employee may travel while “on call” this may change the character of that “on call” status to being engaged in the performance of active duty. The particular facts must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRIES EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
Sorry to hear that it came to that.
Now that your days are numbered at this company, care to share the name?
Not much we can do to help, but at least we can steer clear of them... perhaps.

Cummins engine company. They are more interested in social justice these days than taking care of their employees. Between my father and I we have 66 years clocked in with this company, it used to be great now it's awful.

I'm really thinking about a career change. I've always thought I would make a good police officer, I think I might look into that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lunchbox,

posted Hide Post
Kudos to you for doing the right thing. It's good to hear that you are able to get by in the time being, and decide what you want to do going forward. Best wishes for your next chapter!

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
. . .This is why we can't have nice things or a more libertarian society, because some cheap assed, crooked motherfucker, requires this sort of nonsense out of their employees. . .

I sympathize with your sentiment, but disagree with your logic and assignment of accountability.

First, see egregore's post immediately above yours.

This is a free country. If you don't like your employer's policies, quit. You're only a slave if you want to be a slave. The "Libertarian Society" you desire only works if its citizens have the courage to be libertarian. If they're willing to settle for something less, then something less is what they get.

You are accountable for your decision to live under your employer's rules. True, your employer is accountable for being a "cheap, scheming, crooked motherfucker", but he gets away with it only because you choose to let him. So that makes you a sniveling, whining, spineless squish.

It's a symbiotic relationship. One side can't live without the other, and both sides choose to both be what they are and live together.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I wish I had seen this when you first posted it. I would have inquired if having a phone was mandatory for employment. When you hired on did you sign anything stating as much?

If not, I would have blocked their number in my phone and asked them to provide a phone for me to be on call.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just retired after 40 yrs in the Electric Utility business . Every 6 weeks I remember to thank GOD that I am no longer in the duty rotation .There were six Foremen that shared the
duty . I hated it with a passion . No extra pay unless you had to leave your house which was not always necessary if the field guys were able to handle the problem .
You'll be just fine . Take a break , clear your head , and find something else to do .Good luck to you .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
an electrician I know worked "on call" for the first ten years , he had to to make a good living,
He quit working " on call" for six years as he was making a lot more money , why kill myself? he said.

Now that he is making wonderful money , and the kids are all grown up and gone,
he has signed back up for "on call" because he will be making F.U. money ,

but all the big money veterans are 6th , 7th and 8th on the call list Frown ( that blows)

So 6 people have to either be unavailable or already called out for him to get called

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54721 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post