SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Impatiently waiting for Hunting Season, Fall to get here!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impatiently waiting for Hunting Season, Fall to get here! Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted
Anybody else counting down the days till fall hunting season? My bird hunting buddies and I were just talking about it (again) last night.

Posts: 3551 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
As you get older you may stop wishing your life away. But I get it. I used to be that way about things. I hate the cold and wanted spring and summer to hurry up and get here. Now I think about going to where it's warm in the winter and take my time.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Patiently waiting for deer season. My biggest dilemma is choosing which of about 6 rifles I will use for the 2 deer I typically only need. I may have to do a lottery to get it figured out...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Every season is hunting season, if you're hunting hogs. Big Grin

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I sure have been doing a lot of thinking about squirrel hunting lately

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
You only have a couple of months until dove season now! Cool

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Hell no. I like summer in the Rockies. A little hunting is fun but I freakin' love riding my motorcycle.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Yep, always thinking about hunting season. 66 days until dove season opens.

What is that straight-stocked gun? Looks like a Guerini?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10500 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Not looking forward to the 0600 phone calls from people I don't know, dropping a locals name, asking to hunt. Or more upsetting; the door bell ringing at 0600.

Or dealing with the wounded deer they leave for the coyotes.

No. I'm not looking forward to hunters.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Not looking forward to the 0600 phone calls from people I don't know, dropping a locals name, asking to hunt. Or more upsetting; the door bell ringing at 0600.

Or dealing with the wounded deer they leave for the coyotes.

No. I'm not looking forward to hunters.

Soooo, what you're saying is we can still come over? Big Grin

All serious though, as a hunter this is NOT something I would do during hunting season.

I would be asking about now with the offer to help repair your fence lines, clean up fallen trees and other dead vegetation, and other general maintenance you want/need done in exchange with for the opportunity to hunt.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Yep, always thinking about hunting season. 66 days until dove season opens.

What is that straight-stocked gun? Looks like a Guerini?

It's a Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing 20ga Revelation. Upgraded wood, and it's an ultralight, an absolute pleasure to carry all day.
It finally arrived in mid Jan and I finished out the season with it.

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Just noticed the hens in your pic - you must be hunting on a preserve with pen raised birds?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hoping to get a hunting trip in this year. Been a few years since my last deer.
Need to go re-sight in my rifle, only range near me is 100yds, need to go a bit further & sight at 200.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Just noticed the hens in your pic - you must be hunting on a preserve with pen raised birds?

Yes exactly, late season hunt after the season closed, Farm Preserve only.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I would be asking about now with the offer to help repair your fence lines, clean up fallen trees and other dead vegetation, and other general maintenance you want/need done in exchange with for the opportunity to hunt.

I think that most landowners are already concerned about the liability issues of having someone hunting on their land. They probably aren't going to want someone of unknown skills performing maintenance with power tools. The offer is nice, but don't expect that to be the reason you get on. Show up ahead of time, neatly dressed and be polite. Demeanor goes a long way.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Want to hunt on a large expanse of land?

Buy a large expanse of land.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Despite being into guns and fishing, I have never gone hunting. My father just never took my brother and I out. Lately I have felt like giving it a shot, hur hur hur. While eating breakfast this morning I saw a couple of healthy bucks (4x4 and 3x3) trot through the back yard.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting for damn near 65 years. Damn, I'm getting old. I don't think about it at all in June. No way. Come September, I will start to look for good places to put up a few game cams and all of October I will go back into my woods to check on them or move them.

Deer season starts here around the second week of November. About a week before that I will actually start getting serious about it all.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5054 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, I have:

-dall sheep in August
-moose in September
-caribou for a large part of the year
-mountain goat if I get the chance

The sheep will be a Hail Mary this year, I only have ~ 5 days to get it done because of work. As usual, I’ll take any bull moose I can for the meat but I’m hoping to get a big one, then caribou....I’m Looking for some serious trophies, not just meat.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post