SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you wipers 'Park' with the ignition off?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you wipers 'Park' with the ignition off? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Went to get my wife's car inspected yesterday (2013 Ford Flex)

Most meticulous inspector I'd ever seen, and I've been going to this place for almost 10 years & 5 or 6 cars.

Right at the end, he mentioned that it should have failed, because the wipers stopped in place if the ignition was turned off, instead of finishing their sweep & the park position.

I've had something like 13 cars & none of them would exhibit this behavior.

I've since found the inspection requirements (from the TX DMV) for wipers & this requirement isn't listed.

Question:
Do your wipers park with the ignition off?

Choices:
Yes
No
Other

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our state eliminated safety inspections years ago. I am suprised Texas still has those. I remember years ago having to take a vehicle to have headlights aligned as to Florida DMV standards. It seems only one recommnded garage was able to do this to their satisfaction.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I voted yes, thinking that "park" meant that they just stopped when the ignition was turned off. I realize now that "park" probably meant that they'd keep running until resting in the "off" position. Unfortunately, I can't change my vote.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've probably got decent seat time in 20 different vehicles between what I've owned and friends and family's vehicles I've driven enough to become familiar with. Not a single one of them had windshield wipers that returned home and parked, all of them have just stopped where they are when you turn off the ignition.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I suspect that wipers run from vacuum (long, long ago) may have continued to the park position--they weren't driven by electricity and it's possible that they would still be able to park themselves. It would take some tricky wiring to allow electric wipers to do the same. (How many here remember wipers run off vacuum?)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Neither one of ours do.

2008 F150, and a 2014 Explorer. I don’t believe I’ve ever owned anything that did.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen a car that does that….
I’ve had jeeps, chevys, Chrysler, ford..trucks and cars and never seen one where the wipers continue after the ignition switch is off

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
None of my cars / trucks have ever done that, not even the vacuum ones.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only if I remove the key from the ignition as well.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned many vehicles over the years that would have their wipers stop where they were whenever you cut off the engine. If they were halfway across the windshield when I turned off the engine that is where they would stay.

It is totally ridiculous to claim a vehicle could fail an inspection for such a thing. When will you ever be driving in the rain and feel the need to turn your car off whilst driving? Make no damn sense to me. Confused

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It is totally ridiculous to claim a vehicle could fail an inspection for such a thing. When will you ever be driving in the rain and feel the need to turn your car off whilst driving? Make no damn sense to me. Confused

I looked up the TX inspection data & under wipers there is nothing stating this requirement.
Took a screenshot of it, for when I have to take my car in for its inspection, once I put tires on it.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve lived in Texas for the past 30 years, and have never had an inspector say anything about the fact that each of our many vehicles stopped the wipers wherever they were when the key was switched off.

I think the guy who told you that was grounds for failing the inspection is full of bull.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No car I know of does this. Wiper motors do have a "park" circuit in them for when you turn the wipers off, but if the wipers are running and you shut the ignition off in the middle of a sweep, they will stop at whatever point in the sweep they were in. They have no choice, as the circuits are only powered with the ignition on. Dude's story sounds bogus.

Posts: 27971 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’ve lived in Texas for the past 30 years, and have never had an inspector say anything about the fact that each of our many vehicles stopped the wipers wherever they were when the key was switched off.

I think the guy who told you that was grounds for failing the inspection is full of bull.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
No car I know of does this. Wiper motors do have a "park" circuit in them for when you turn the wipers off, but if the wipers are running and you shut the ignition off in the middle of a sweep, they will stop at whatever point in the sweep they were in. They have no choice, as the circuits are only powered with the ignition on. Dude's story sounds bogus.

My dad (30 years in dealership svc depts) said the same.

With how meticulous he was with the inspection:
-Used a tire gauge to check tread depth, first I've ever seen that, most just pass hand over it, if they check it at all.
-Checked the front window tint opacity with a tint gauge, also a first for me, in an inspection.

I'm guessing they must have had a violation & are going extra by the book.

Still, the wiper thing is BS.

The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
My 2017 Outback stops dead. Just did it this week to clean one of the wipers.

I think the 2011 VW sportwagen might have continued to the bottom.

They did have a feature that right after the ignition was off you could press the wiper switch once and they would go to the top and stop. I suspect this was because the wipers were behind the hood when down, and you could not service them in down position.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
They did have a feature that right after the ignition was off you could press the wiper switch once and they would go to the top and stop. I suspect this was because the wipers were behind the hood when down, and you could not service them in down position.

My 2nd car, a 1982 Mercedes 300SD had the wipers tucked behind the hood, so you had to run them to the top, and turn off the ignition so they would stop, to change the blades.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
My 2011 BMW parks 'em. My 2016 Ford doesn't.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My ‘18 and ‘19 bmws park them after opening the door. If i shut the ignition off the wipers still run until i open the door or hit the off button again.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
when I turn the truck off the wipers stop where they’re at.
Never heard of failing an inspection over this.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
What possible "safety" implications does this have?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post