SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mobile license pilot study to allow police to 'ping' cellphone for a license
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mobile license pilot study to allow police to 'ping' cellphone for a license Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
What if you don't own a phone?

And people never steal them either.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As we all scream and rant about the 2nd Amendment the Government slowly eviscerates the 4th.....and few even notice.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
When I read the OP, I knew what the reaction was going to be.

But in the age of interconnected electronic everything, it's naive to thing the government won't start requiring things like this. I'm waiting for painted metal license plates to be replaced, or at least supplemented by some sort of EZ Pass like device (electronic toll tag, for those not in the northeast.)

Weren't some states looking at putting GPS trackers on cars to implement some sort of mileage tax system, and cars become more efficient/electric, and don't need to use as much gas (thereby avoiding fuel taxes)? Oregon comes to mind.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Screw. That. Noise.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Why not just have the cell phones ping the station, report that you busted the speed limit, ran the light, and made a number of illegal u-turns, have Central tote up the damage and deduct it from your bank acount, notify the insurance company, and put your license on hold?

Winner! Big Grin Big Grin Costs saving in reduced police force and a constant revenue stream. What is not to like. Smile

The deduction from your bank acount resulted in a number of checks bouncing, incurring hundreds of dollars in bad check and overdraft charges, which resulted in not being able to make the house payment, which eventually resulted in forclosure, the car was repo’d and the perp living out of a stolen shopping cart under a bridge.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I love my iPhone but this sounds too Big Brother-ish to me

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not advocating for or against this system because I have not given it enough thought at this point, but I would like to comment that no where in the post or link does it indicate that this will be a mandatory system. If you don't have a phone, or don't want to use the system, then don't. There is really no likelihood that this would be mandatory, and a paper based DL would not be acceptable.

Even if you liked and wanted to use this system, phone could be lost, stolen, broken, battery dead, phone left at home. No way this would be mandatory and the only acceptable way to present ID.

Here in Texas we can present proof of insurance via our phones, but we don'd have to we can use paper document if we choose.

Now at some point in the future, I can envision a mandatory system, but like someone mentioned above it would involve a chip in the butt or at the minimum a "free" to all toll tag bracelet of some sort. Now that I am definitely against.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post