SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mobile license pilot study to allow police to 'ping' cellphone for a license
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mobile license pilot study to allow police to 'ping' cellphone for a license Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Delaware could be among the first states to use mobile driver's licenses.

The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles has launched a mobile driver's license pilot study that will run for six months, according to a release from the Delaware Department of Transportation.

The six-month pilot study will include about 200 state employees and stakeholders.

“Delaware is among the first states to test a mobile driver’s license, and we’re excited to help move this new technology forward,” said Gov. John Carney said in the release.

Transportation Secretary Jennifer Cohan believes the pilot will help the state how mobile driver's licenses work in real-world scenarios.

"[They will] address any issues that arise as a result before we decide to fully adopt and implement this application for our more than 800,000 licensed drivers and ID card holders,” she said in the release.

The pilot is being run by both the Delaware DMV and IDEMIA, the company that produces the state’s physical driver's licenses and identification cards, according to the release.

We're looking at the worst car brands as ranked by Consumer Reports. In first place is Fiat. Here's the 2018 Fiat 500L FCA US LLC, © 2017 FCA US LLC

Features of the mDL that will be tested include:

• Enhanced privacy for age verification: No need to show a person’s address, license number and birthdate. The mobile driver's license will verify if the person is over 18 or 21 and display a photo.

• Law enforcement use during a traffic stop: The mobile driver's license will allow law enforcement officers to ping a driver’s smartphone to request their driver’s license information before walking to the vehicle.

• Business acceptance: Understanding how businesses that require identification or age verification interact with the mobile driver's license will be advantageous throughout the pilot study.

• Ease of Use: Ensuring the mobile driver's license is able to be presented to any organization without difficulty.

• Secure access: The mobile driver's license is unlocked and accessible only by the license holder. The mobile driver's license is accessed through an app on the owner’s smartphone and is opened/unlocked by entering a user-created PIN or facial recognition.

“It is our responsibility to always bring the best-in-class offerings to our state and an mDL holds the promise of offering an always-updated, secure credential that will be easy to use by our consumers, businesses and law enforcement,” Vien said in the release.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Interesting, but if it can only be accessible by the owner, then how does:

quote:
Law enforcement use during a traffic stop: The mobile driver's license will allow law enforcement officers to ping a driver’s smartphone to request their driver’s license information before walking to the vehicle.

That sounds like there is a way to access this thing without the owner and remotely. Now how an LEO would know the person has a smartphone and this mDriver’s License isn’t clear from the article. I’m guessing some sort of Bluetooth connection, but that doesn’t sound reliable either.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
What if you don't own a phone?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
and now they can more easily gather/track your gps information. Because you know that would be the next step if it isn't already thought of/implemented in the software.

If they asked me what the benefits of this app would be if I were to design it, that'd be one of 'em along with access to your phone history, sim card, etc...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah, not too keen on this idea. Since the info is basically open only to the govt - why would I do that?

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This opens a whole new can of worms. If they pull you over, do they have the right to inspect your phone?

It could involve accessing maps programs, and others, sounds like rights violations to me.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give it a few weeks and some hackers will have ways to ping phones like officers, copy all the data, and then display rotating identities on any phone they want.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well isn't that special.

Not a chance I would do this willingly.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
It all depends on how it's implemented.

You can lock down most things on your phone. On my iPhone, I can decide which Apps can use my GPS info, which have access to my contacts, etc.

If it pings and I have to respond to the ping myself on my phone and enter my password or fingerprint to send the info. I can also control what info it sends. Like just the same info on my DL, I might be ok with it.

Hackers don't need this need app to hack a phone. Phones can link through many different apps right now. Security is something people need to take care of themselves. Lockdown what you want on your phone.

If this can just randomly access my phone without my permission or any info on my phone then hell no but as an app where I can control the info isn't bad.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
OK, so let me get this straight, we can't make a person show ID to vote because it's racist since black people are somehow unable to obtain a drivers license or ID card right? How the hell are all these people who can't even find a DMV or $10 for an ID card supposed to get a cell phone? Do you get a ticket if you leave your phone on kitchen counter top or at work and then get pulled over?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
How the hell are all these people who can't even find a DMV or $10 for an ID card supposed to get a cell phone?

Obama phones.

Duh. Razz

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
not only no, but hell no

brought to you by the state that gave us Uncle Joe Biden..

one more way to invade your privacy under the smoke screen of safety

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
OK, so let me get this straight, we can't make a person show ID to vote because it's racist since black people are somehow unable to obtain a drivers license or ID card right? How the hell are all these people who can't even find a DMV or $10 for an ID card supposed to get a cell phone? Do you get a ticket if you leave your phone on kitchen counter top or at work and then get pulled over?

I absolutely think this is the argument/angle that should be taken here.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Im dying over here!!

When we rolled out the laptop and printer to issue tickets, it was a shit show.....for or five years later...it was still a shit show

on paper it was supposed to be much quicker-until the printer craps the bed, then you gotta start all over on a citation book

the one I had worked half the time...

I finally went back to the tried and true low tech pen and book....worked every time. Just took the printer into the station and told the IT guy I found it in the back hallway.

I can see this tech not working, the extra costs of some kinda phone pinging device, the frustration of the officer and the driver...so may things that can go wrong just to be able to play on your phone.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
No.

Police don't get to "ping" me to find out anything.

They get to ask, I get to respond. If I respond inappropriately, they get to arrest me, and we sort it out back at the station.

Privacy, people. Protect it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Why not just have the cell phones ping the station, report that you busted the speed limit, ran the light, and made a number of illegal u-turns, have Central tote up the damage and deduct it from your bank acount, notify the insurance company, and put your license on hold?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's just a test step before implanting the chip in your ass.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Delaware will, no doubt, do better securing this digital information than OPM did securing my security clearance information (which was a detailed account of who I am).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not just have the cell phones ping the station, report that you busted the speed limit, ran the light, and made a number of illegal u-turns, have Central tote up the damage and deduct it from your bank acount, notify the insurance company, and put your license on hold?

Winner! Big Grin Big Grin Costs saving in reduced police force and a constant revenue stream. What is not to like. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
not only no, but hell no

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. Sometimes I don't have my phone with me. Mrs. M-11 never does if we're out together, even if she's driving. The potential abuse is strong with this one.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post