SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Under counter handgun vault
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under counter handgun vault Login/Join 
Headhunter
Picture of SPSHOOTER
posted
I am looking for recommendations for under counter handgun safe/vault. I want to put one under my workbench in my garage. Prefer one that can be mounted vertically. Any recommendation/preference for mechanical or print biometric?

Thanks
SPSHOOTER

Posts: 1513 | Location: San Diego | Registered: March 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of ones that hinge down. They work well. Easy to open, battery lasts a long time. There are probably many copy cat versions available, so do some investigating as to which appear to be good.

Definitely do not buy one that is only biometric. If you fingers are dirty, they will not open.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gun...179&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://gunvault.com/speedvault-handgun-safe/

Something like this?

I have this model-
https://gunvault.com/multivault-deluxe/

Not bad at all. A few watches, a stack of cash, 2 guns in the bedroom for quick access.

Im not a fan of the biometric.
Unless technology had improved, you had to put your finger on the reader the same way every time. Dirty / Greasy fingers probably wont read on the sensor. I'd look at the push button type.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Only buy one with what is called a SIMPLEX lock. It's push buttons and IMHO very reliable.

I have V-Line which uses the SIMPLEX lock. 25 years old. been great. No battery changes in those 25 years Smile Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^^ What he said.

Depending on mounting options, in addition to V-Line I'd also take a look at FAS1.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
V-line desk mate. Not sure if you can mount it vertically though.

My V-line is well made and very heavy

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a great deal on a V-Line and love it

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I use the V-line deskmate daily. The simplex lock is awesome. I set up my combo so that you can use just my thumb to push. If you have the combo spread out that requires 2 fingers to press 2 buttons at the same time, it can be difficult to open quickly without looking and feeling around.

https://www.vlineind.com/shop/desk-mate-handgun-safe/

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Headhunter
Picture of SPSHOOTER
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate the suggestions. I need one to mount vertically as I could set it back from the front of the bench top. It would also need to be mounter from the top and not the side. I will call V-line on Monday and ask if the desk mate can be mounted as mentioned. Please share any other suggestions you all may have.

SPSHOOTER

Posts: 1513 | Location: San Diego | Registered: March 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Vara safety gun safe

Have one of these and the wife loves it.

If you buy a biometric safe make sure it will hold more than 1 finger print. When you set it up make sure to set it with your finger at different angles. If you set it with your thumb flat and then when you try to use it with just the tip of your thumb or your thumb is slightly rolled left or right then it may not open

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the biometric. We had one from gunvault, and it wouldn read Mrs. mikes fingerprint. She has very light ridge detail and it could take up to ten times for it to recognize her print. I returned it and they sent me the standard gunvault micro vault with 4buttons and a key as backup

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
^^^^ What he said.

Depending on mounting options, in addition to V-Line I'd also take a look at FAS1.

FYI - FAS1 is selling his remaining inventory and apparently is getting out of the business. Last time I bought a safe from him was several years ago, so the email I got from him last week stuck out, which is where he stated health complications are causing him to sell off and close up shop.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Looks to me that Gunvault took a common $90 safe, put their name on it, and charged $200.

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Headhunter
Picture of SPSHOOTER
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. It has been helpful as I continue to evaluate and decide. Additional feedback always appreciated.

SPSHOOTER

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

SPshooter,
I would like to know what you choose and why you like that specific product.

I was thinking about adding a under the counter lockbox, but I won't have a chance to start looking for a few weeks. Knowing what you eventually chose and why will be my starting point.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Headhunter
Picture of SPSHOOTER
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who shared. After seeing one in use I have decided to go with the Speedvault non biometric.

Mounts the way I need and seems the most sturdy and secure one reviewed.

SPSHOOTER