SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remarkable Price Difference Between Regular and Mid-Grade Gasoline
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remarkable Price Difference Between Regular and Mid-Grade Gasoline Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It would appear that new fuel regulations went into effect this month.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...-play-out/ar-AAFc6j0

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed that about two years ago when I bought a car that uses 93 octane.

It used to be .20 up for each grade. Now it’s more like .50 up for each grade.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do we allow Morons to become "journalists". While may Luxury autos do use higher octane fuels economy cars will also show some benefits when using 93 octane.

One example is my 2019 Ford Fiesta ST. While it will run perfectly fine on 87 octane it does NOT get the same fuel mileage as it does when running on 93 octane. On 93 octane I've been average 32 mpg for City driving, on 87 Octane it drops to 27 mpg. In addition peak horsepower is 197 with 93 octane and only about 140 on 87 octane. BTW, on the one long drive I've taken I used 93 octane and one 400 mile leg where I wasn't stuck in construction traffic I got 39 mpg at an average speed of 72 mph.

Obviously I have a real preference for the 93 octane even if I don't normally test the higher horsepower available. While I haven't actually done a cost vs. benefit study between 87 and 93 octane I know that there is some cost offset benefit to the 93 octane and it does allow me to go a bit longer between fillups. I also find it oddly satisfying to exceed the claimed City cycle fuel economy by 6 miles per gallon.

BTW tips for gaining max potential economy. Goose it just a bit pulling away from a stop to get up to cruising speed a bit quickly. Note, 4 cycle engines with a throttle are actually most efficient thermodynamically at a throttle opening of 75%. So crawling away from a light is actually LESS fuel efficient than goosing the gas a bit. Once you are at cruise speed USE THE CRUISE CONTROL. People have a natural tendency to "flutter" the gas pedal and that wastes gas, so let the computer set the throttle position. Finally, when it's possible choose a speed that allows you to "time" the lights. Because stopping has a huge impact on economy unless you are driving a hybrid with regenerative braking.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
midgrade is nothing more than 1/2 reg and 1/2 premium, pumped together into your tank

I worked at a MobIL in NJ for several years. We had 3 distinct tanks in the ground. Gas was not blended at the pumps. I've never seen that.

I worked for Kroger for 12yrs, running stores,

they have 2 tanks in the ground, one reg, one premium (some stores did have diesel as a 3rd tank, most did not)

the pumps pulled from both and then thru the hose to your tank

this was in Va, NC, WVa

wondering if it is a state thing as far as NJ?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
midgrade is nothing more than 1/2 reg and 1/2 premium, pumped together into your tank

I worked at a MobIL in NJ for several years. We had 3 distinct tanks in the ground. Gas was not blended at the pumps. I've never seen that.
Both of y’all should read my last post since both posts are correct from your fox hole but won’t be correct everywhere in the US:
  • Goat saw 89 at a gas station that had been made at distribution terminal
  • Lyman provided 1 of the 3 formulas (87 & 91).

• saw this after I replied,

now, some if WAWA's are offering a 4th grade,

Reg, mid, more mid, and premium,

I cannot remember the octane breakdown

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hop head
    Picture of lyman
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scooter123:
    Why do we allow Morons to become "journalists". While may Luxury autos do use higher octane fuels economy cars will also show some benefits when using 93 octane.

One example is my 2019 Ford Fiesta ST. While it will run perfectly fine on 87 octane it does NOT get the same fuel mileage as it does when running on 93 octane. On 93 octane I've been average 32 mpg for City driving, on 87 Octane it drops to 27 mpg. In addition peak horsepower is 197 with 93 octane and only about 140 on 87 octane. BTW, on the one long drive I've taken I used 93 octane and one 400 mile leg where I wasn't stuck in construction traffic I got 39 mpg at an average speed of 72 mph.

Obviously I have a real preference for the 93 octane even if I don't normally test the higher horsepower available. While I haven't actually done a cost vs. benefit study between 87 and 93 octane I know that there is some cost offset benefit to the 93 octane and it does allow me to go a bit longer between fillups. I also find it oddly satisfying to exceed the claimed City cycle fuel economy by 6 miles per gallon.

BTW tips for gaining max potential economy. Goose it just a bit pulling away from a stop to get up to cruising speed a bit quickly. Note, 4 cycle engines with a throttle are actually most efficient thermodynamically at a throttle opening of 75%. So crawling away from a light is actually LESS fuel efficient than goosing the gas a bit. Once you are at cruise speed USE THE CRUISE CONTROL. People have a natural tendency to "flutter" the gas pedal and that wastes gas, so let the computer set the throttle position. Finally, when it's possible choose a speed that allows you to "time" the lights. Because stopping has a huge impact on economy unless you are driving a hybrid with regenerative braking.

have you noticed any difference between winter blend and summer blend?

I drove a Cooper S for 8 yrs, used 93 oct premium 99%of the time, and avg'd 31mpg with my foot in it most of the time

driving a Honda Civic SE (CVT) now and I have noticed about a 3mpg drop over the winter, using 87oct,,

Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
    Seems like the price gap is more than it used to be.

You got that right!

First time I went to fill up the new-to-me Jeep (it has a 5.7L Hemi in it) I could not believe my eyes. Thinking the first station was trying to pull a fast one, I checked two others. Same deal: A 30¢ bump from regular to mid-grade.

Premium at Costco is cheaper, but I rarely go near a Costco, any more.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Premium runs $.50-$.80 (shell) over regular here. When my wife bought a Forester a few years ago we did not consider the XT version since it required premium. My mustang gives up around 10 HP running regular.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    60 cent spread between Costco's regular 87 and premium 93 in Louisville. Usually about 30 cents cheaper than the competition on both grades.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

have you noticed any difference between winter blend and summer blend?

I drove a Cooper S for 8 yrs, used 93 oct premium 99%of the time, and avg'd 31mpg with my foot in it most of the time

driving a Honda Civic SE (CVT) now and I have noticed about a 3mpg drop over the winter, using 87oct,,

Only got the Fiesta May 14, 2019, so zero winter driving experience.

With all the price comparisons floating around I keep flashing back to when I worked for Sohio back in the 70's. Boron (premium) was 41.9 cents per gallon and Octron (regular) was 37.9 cents per gallon. Basically a 11% increase. So if regular sells at 2.70 per gallon then premium should run 2.98 per gallon.

However before anyone starts complaining about us getting hosed you have to keep in mind that both Boron and Octron were leaded gasoline's. Today producing a lead free premium costs more in large part because it is actually more expensive to produce a lead free premium than a leaded premium. Quite simply a 50 to 60 cent bump is probably quite reasonable.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Expert308
    posted Hide Post
    When I bought my Challenger, I spent several months comparing mileage and performance with different brands of plus and premium. I never could detect any difference so I started using plus. Then I discovered Costco, who doesn't sell plus but whose premium is lower priced than most places' plus, and I've been running Costco premium ever since.

I also have an old (2000) Tundra that I only drive occasionally for trips to the range, taking dogs to the vet, landfill runs and the like. It burns regular and I get that at Costco too. Lately, their premium has been running $2.99 and regular $2.69, a $.30 difference. Most other stations around here run between about $3.35 and $3.59 for premium.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    Welcome to my world of 3 cars running highest octane.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    In very casual observation (I don't use it; my car runs fine on 87), I've noticed a 30-cent difference lately.

Posts: 27987 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    For real?
    Picture of Chowser
    posted Hide Post
    We have 87, 89, 93 in my area. It’s generally 25 cents more for 89 then another 30 cents for 93.
    So it’s 55 cents between them.

My car recommends 91 or above octane. I tried 87 and 89 and I get worse gas mileage and less hp so I just get the 93 now. I’m researching blending my 93 with E85. I think my car can handle up to an E30 mix with no issues so I will see how that works.

My last car required 87 octane (2015 Subaru Legacy awd 6cyl) and averaged 22mpg. My current car (2018 BMW 430 awd 4cyl, also the bmw is heavier than the subaru) uses premium and I’m averaging close to 30mpg. Same driving styles. Granted different engines. I haven’t done a cost analysis of fuel consumption but I’m happy so I don’t care too much to figure it out.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8026 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by trapper189:
    Is octane rating affected by altitude?
    /QUOTE]

According to the service manager at my Toyota dealer, yes. When I bought my Tacoma, I was told 85 was fine in the Rockys. If I was heading to CA, then I should bump it up to 87.

Posts: 12473 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cne32507
    posted Hide Post
    My wife owned a gas station (Conoco brand). When she had it built, 3 double wall underground storage tanks with leak monitoring sensors were installed. Very expensive. One was diesel, but the station had 3 gas grades at the pumps. The distributor sold to several different branded stations; same base gasoline, they just added the proprietary additives. Excessive price jumps between grades are just marketing: they think they can get away with it.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    There are 10 kinds of
    people in this world
    Picture of 686Owner
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shaql:
    Supply and demand. Most cars require 92 or higher now. One of the many reasons we don't buy into the you gotta have a turbo option.

I'm amazed anyone has a motor that still requires lead anymore. I would think that most have been rebuilt since the 90s and would have had the proper rings installed.

Most cars require what now?

I've seen odd jumps in pricing before. I assume someone hit the wrong number changing the price.

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 686Owner:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shaql:
    Supply and demand. Most cars require 92 or higher now. One of the many reasons we don't buy into the you gotta have a turbo option.

I'm amazed anyone has a motor that still requires lead anymore. I would think that most have been rebuilt since the 90s and would have had the proper rings installed.

Most cars require what now?

I've seen odd jumps in pricing before. I assume someone hit the wrong number changing the price.

I don’t think so. Sure looked deliberate to me, on my way out of the station I slowed as I went by two more pumps; both showed the same $0.63 difference from 85 to 87 octane.

I didn’t bother to respond to the post you quoted. “Rings” have nothing to do with the ability of an engine to run on unleaded. I didn’t research the first statement about most cars requiring “92 octane now,” but my common sense is tingling and it tells me that’s dead wrong.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post