SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tonight's Powerball lottery, WI members check your tickets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tonight's Powerball lottery, WI members check your tickets Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Lump-sum cash: $380,600,000
24% Federal Tax - $91,344,000

That, is a tax bill. Eek

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Lump-sum cash: $380,600,000
24% Federal Tax - $91,344,000

That, is a tax bill. Eek

That's only the withholding tax.
The full tax will be based on the 37% top marginal rate and will be roughly $140.8 million. You have to make up the difference on the 2019 return.

But....SPOILER ALERT.....

You didn't win.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bendable. A fun tool. Can anyone tell me what residency is based on for taxes? For example, can I move to Fl before cashing in and avoid Ky taxes?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman: The Millionaire Lottery is one example. 500,000 tickets, $20 each, each ticket with a single unique number on it. Officials draw four numbers for four million-dollar prizes. In my backward way of thinking, that gives you four chances in 500,000 of hitting a million bucks. Lottery officials claim you have a 1/125,000 chance of winning.

Do we have a statistician in the house? Big Grin

I'm not a statistician, but believe your analysis to be incorrect. Buying 10 tickets actually does give you a 10x better chance of winning, it's just that the odds suck so bad it's unlikely to matter.

ummm......4/500,000 is exactly the same as 1/125,000.

Maybe . . . but maybe not. I'm not sure statistical ratios "reduce" like normal fractions. But I never finished college.

Looks like lottery winners in PA will remain FOIA-accessible. (A bill in 2017 or so went nowhere). PA is losing money to Ohio and Delaware. But in general, Pennsylvanians are big lottery players.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Maybe . . . but maybe not. I'm not sure statistical ratios "reduce" like normal fractions. But I never finished college.

Looks like lottery winners in PA will remain FOIA-accessible. (A bill in 2017 or so went nowhere). PA is losing money to Ohio and Delaware. But in general, Pennsylvanians are big lottery players.

They do. In the case you presented, the numbers are fixed and not "reset" after each draw. It's different when you are repeatedly flipping a coin. In that case, the next flip is independent of the previous results.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$750,000,000

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If I won this side of a billion I am buying a judge and maybe a congressman or two......possibly Nicaragua. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My wife bought a ticket. We would do the one time cash out.
Half to church and charities.
The rest to a modest, yet nice home paid off, step kids (her kids) set for life, grandkids set for life, a huge gun library, a nice road trip car, and a nicer off road vehicle. My current is awesome, but I’d love to have another 100 cc and a turbo. More than double the HP is never bad. =)

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this might be worthy of note , if and when you have more money than you can carry
https://www.operationfinallyhome.org/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I won this I would splurge and get the extra expensive stack on safe to keep it in. Oh yeah.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

Two dollars is my limit on these games. Statistically, the greatest increase in your chances of winning happen after you buy one ticket. Beyond that, there is no significantly greater benefit in buying ten tickets.

It's my belief that the Pennsylvania Lottery has misrepresented odds for years, in an attempt to lure the masses into playing. The Millionaire Lottery is one example. 500,000 tickets, $20 each, each ticket with a single unique number on it. Officials draw four numbers for four million-dollar prizes. In my backward way of thinking, that gives you four chances in 500,000 of hitting a million bucks. Lottery officials claim you have a 1/125,000 chance of winning.

Do we have a statistician in the house? Big Grin

I'm not a statistician, but believe your analysis to be incorrect. Buying 10 tickets actually does give you a 10x better chance of winning, it's just that the odds suck so bad it's unlikely to matter.

ummm......4/500,000 is exactly the same as 1/125,000.
Well, to be fair... The first ticket increases your chances from 0% to slightly more than 0%, which is a larger percentage increase than the 2x slightly greater than 0% chance two tickets gives you.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
My wife bought a ticket. We would do the one time cash out.
Half to church and charities.
The rest to a modest, yet nice home paid off, step kids (her kids) set for life, grandkids set for life, a huge gun library, a nice road trip car, and a nicer off road vehicle. My current is awesome, but I’d love to have another 100 cc and a turbo. More than double the HP is never bad. =)

Income investing, donations can continue long after you are gone.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No expression's of elation from the forum members in wisconsin ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I'll admit, it piqued my interest when I first saw it was a WI winner.

Checked my ticket, and wahh-wahh, I had but one of the numbers.

Ticket was sold up near Milwaukee. Store gets 100k. Happy for them, and surprised it was actually won by a Wisconsinite, instead of NY, CA or FL for a change.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
As an annuity, that's about 1.34 million a month for 25 years. Unless I can't count.
Only chumps take the annuity - you trust the state is gonna have that money in 10-20 years?

No fucking way. Lump sum all day and twice on sundays. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You can always buy a commercial annuity with all or part of the lump sum, and almost certainly get a better rate anyways.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post