SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lodging Rates During Eclipse
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lodging Rates During Eclipse Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Lodging rates always go up anywhere or anytime there is a special event occurring. When my niece graduated from college the hotel rates around the collage quadrupled for that weekend. So if you're determined to see the eclipse be prepared to pay a ridicules amount of money to sleep in a hotel overnight.

Posts: 1708 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
As some others have mentioned, the biggest issue (for those that are doing a day-trip) is traffic.

I saw the 2017 eclipse, just outside of Nashville, TN.

Getting home to Loudoun County, VA from there normally takes 9 to 10 hours via I-40 & I-81.

That day, it took about 15 minutes short of forever to get back. I took a pic while sitting in traffic at the I-40/I-81 interchange; driving up 81 that evening, it was solid red taillights as far as the eye could see going north. Every rest area was overfilled, with cars/trucks parked all along the entrance/exit ramps for some distance.

This was mostly due to the wx in N. Carolina being lousy and half of the east coast pivoting to TN to see the eclipse. I had always planned to see it in TN. My co-worker decided to go see it in NC.

Even with the aggravation of the traffic, it was well worth the trip. I plan on seeing it again in April.

Posts: 1299 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm leaving from Loudoun. Driving up day before and staying night of to hopefully avoid all of at least part of the traffic. I considered driving up in the AM to save $500 in hotels, but my aggravation and time are worth $500.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21103 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I can visit family in small town Texas and be on the western edge. A 20 minute drive east will get me a good spot. Glad to hear about the traffic though, I will plan for that.

This is a cool moving map thru Texas and Oklahoma of where the eclipse will be.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post