SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lodging Rates During Eclipse
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lodging Rates During Eclipse Login/Join 
posted
We live about 3 hours from the path of the total eclipse on April 8th. I started looking into accommodations in Indiana and Ohio, and was astounded by the rate increases. In Milan Ohio the Hampton and Holiday Inn normally charge about $120/night, which increases to $500/night. Even the Motel 6 jacks it up from $53 to $305. This is not unique to Milan, everywhere I've looked in the path of the total eclipse has done likewise.

Posts: 781 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right.
When the F1 race rolled into Vegas, hotel prices got exorbitant.
There was a site that was tracking pricing and 9 months our form the race, I think the average nightly rate had gone up 200-700%

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15967 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am always amazed at the extreme interest that eclipses get. If I was an ancient Mayan and thought that my god was laying his judgement upon his peoples then I would get it. I on the other hand have watched the videos and understand there is nothing supernatural going on. It doesn't happen all the time, it gets dark, don't look at it directly, and then it is past. I will watch if I am in the path, I can't even imagine paying a bunch of money to travel to see this. Honestly what is the big pull? I could understand astronomers getting psyched up but in nearly 6 decades I have never really known anybody who considers themselves an astronomer. Clearly many people travel for this. I can't wrap my mind around the draw.

Maybe if I owned a hotel chain in the path I would understand better lol. (those are some crazy rates)

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:... Honestly what is the big pull?...

If you have ever experienced totality (not partial, and not an annular eclipse), you would understand the "big pull".

No where else in this solar system does this occur, and no idea where three bodies, where the viewer would be, with their star, and a body that would perfectly occult the disk of the star to create the same totality might be found.

So, this is the only place, and the distance to travel and cost to do so is not unreachable. Even if the event only lasts a few minutes.

Mankind has spent that and more, seeking experiences that are as fleeting.

I am fortunate my house in in the middle of the path and it will be 4.5 minutes of totality.

Heck, a SIGforum Shoot where we all get nekked, beat the ground with sticks and yell and shoot at the dragon in the sky that's eating the big yellow ball...

What's not to like?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44441 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My IT Director put this on calendar for time off 18 months ago. I think he is planning to wing it on rooms in rural Texas that day. I've offered my experience with that just during rodeo season and suggested he not.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12662 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Since I don't think I will make the 2099 eclipse, this is my once in a lifetime chance.

I too am lucky enough to be only a few miles off the direct center of the path in Ohio. I am really looking forward to this event !!

Posts: 835 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna be right in the middle of it in central Texas. Last one I saw, I drove to mom n dads in the western NC mountains.

It was one of the coolest things I’ve seen-and I’ve seen a lot.

My dad had no idea that leaves can be a natural lens, when the half covered sun’s shadow played on the ground. Thousands of little half eclipsed shadows.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11455 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We're just outside the path of totality in Indiana. You guys are welcome to come camp in my yard the night before. Sigforum friends and family rate of only $200/night...bring your own tent. I accept payment in cash or ammo Big Grin! Honestly, the way the weather typically is here in April, I fully expect it to be cloudy the day of the eclipse, but I would like to see it so I hope it's not.

Posts: 9179 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I attended the approximately 1978 full total event near Pasco with friends.

Drove 500 mile round trip. Way more bedazzled by
all the various stages we studied about beforehand.

The quiet of animals, the sudden cooling, etcetera
showed the differences between TOTAL and hohum.

Posts: 9872 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
People have things on their “bucket” lists that make far less sense to me than experiencing a rare natural phenomenon like a total eclipse of the sun in person. There are countless things that appeal to only limited numbers of people and if we questioned the allure of every one of them, that’s all anyone would have time for. Is it really worth your time to ask why?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47660 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’m gonna be right in the middle of it in central Texas. Last one I saw, I drove to mom n dads in the western NC mountains.

Eclipse parts at Mike's! Cool

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
My dad had no idea that leaves can be a natural lens, when the half covered sun’s shadow played on the ground. Thousands of little half eclipsed shadows.

We had a partial within the last couple months & I remember seeing the little eclipsed shadows, and even noticed a slight temp cooling.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15967 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We booked an rv spot in Wimberley almost a year ago. I think it is $40 a night. Big Grin

Posts: 11412 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I went to Germany right after that one they had around 1998. I always mail postcards when I travel and there were tons of postcards with photos of the event. It was a real big deal there.

Posts: 3684 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like we'll drive about 3hrs. to somewhere near Upper Sandusky OH to see it, then stay in my old hometown about halfway back. No way in Hell I'll pay $500 to stay in a mid-tier hotel right in the line of fire.

Had to laugh when I did the math and realized that $300 is a 5000% increase from the original price of Motel 6 (yes, I'm old and cheap).

Posts: 781 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it’s a discussion board so I guess my answer is yes. I didn’t get the memo that said we all had to agree on everything. My bad. I was commenting that I’m surprised it’s such a draw. To the OP’s point I find it crazy that hotels can charge 500 bucks a night and get it for an eclipse. I don’t see the draw, obviously many do because 500 a night for a mediocre hotel is a lot of $$$and they clearly are getting the business.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you've never seen one it's worth the higher room rates. I almost considered re-renting the condo I rented for the last one, because they were going for triple price closer to the event.

The feeling is hard to explain.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21103 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
It went through my hometown outside St Louis last time in 2017 and we all drove 5 hours to see it with our two kids (and also experience it with my parents, both of whom have since passed away). 2024 seemed forever away then and here we are, with another kid my wife was pregnant with in 2017.

We are planning on staying with friends in St. Louis but booked a hotel room in Illinois just in case. There was no difference in the rates and this was last month I booked. I think if you pick a large enough metro area there is less chance of the spike in prices. I am planning on seeing it in Mount Vernon, IL as I think Carbondale, IL, the location where the two eclipse totality paths cross, will be crazy busy. Our backup hotel room is in Edwardsville, IL.

It is worth the trip, even if it is 4 minutes long. We are pulling our kids out of school for it. I'm just hoping clouds don't happen, because that takes away your ability to turn in a circle and see a 360 degree sunset/sunrise around you when you are in a totality spot.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
After looking at hotel rates in northern Vermont, I think it will be a pretty long day of driving if we go.

Then there is traffic ... with everyone doing the same thing as us - driving all the way up I-91 and back.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I was in Madras, OR for the 2017 eclipse. It was a life experience. The light changes throughout the eclipse, it doesn't just get dark then light, there was a point that the light was "silvery". The birds got quiet, the air temperature dropped. Words don't do justice. If you can make it to the path of totality, do it.

We were lucky, stayed with friends. We walked to a high spot where there were about 50 people. The town and airport grew from a population of 8,000 to over 100,000. Renting a plot of land large enough for a car and tent was running a couple hundred bucks a night. It was crazy busy.

And yeah, we booked a spot at a friends camp about a year ago. We will be there.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 739 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
I was in Madras, OR for the 2017 eclipse. It was a life experience. The light changes throughout the eclipse, it doesn't just get dark then light, there was a point that the light was "silvery". The birds got quiet, the air temperature dropped. Words don't do justice.

Now you know why ancient civilizations considered eclipses to be religious experiences and spiritual omens. Wink

Posts: 33031 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post