SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honor your father and your mother ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honor your father and your mother ... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Parents. At least mine are dead now, and not hurting anyone.

Posts: 17218 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My mother did some truly horrible things to my sister and me. She has spent most, if not all, of her over nine decades being selfish. In fact, she has only become more so as she ages and returns to a child-like state. I didn’t recognize how awful she was until I had my own children and realized what I’d have to be to do to them what was done to me. Over time I learned the true nature of forgiveness and though she never changed, I came to understand she’s a product of her formative years. That said, I honor her motherhood and this year, helped my Alzheimer’s afflicted dad give her his traditional obsequious Mother’s Day dinner and ceremony. She gave me life. I can ignore the rest of it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29869 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put some fresh flowers on my Mom's grave . That's what you're supposed to do for Mother's Day . Except that I did it today . I have no happy memories of my Mom . Nobody does . You can't go back and change anything , you just accept it and move on .

Posts: 4157 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We don’t pick our families. We pick our friends.

Posts: 124 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother lives with my family now and eventually my wife's mother will come and live with us as well. Dealing with issues for a day or even a week is one thing but constantly, makes it difficult. I do love them both but sometimes you can go nuts.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
My mother lives with my family now and eventually my wife's mother will come and live with us as well. Dealing with issues for a day or even a week is one thing but constantly, makes it difficult. I do love them both but sometimes you can go nuts.
When my dad split on mom, she came to live with me. 13 years I gave her a place to live and she thanked me by trying to make sure that Shirl didn't want to marry me. She'd say things to Shirl when I wasn't around. Fortunately, I had financial records and other evidence that proved it all wrong. Mom stayed with us after we got married for about a year until I just couldn't do it any more. She'd interfere in the relationship and insert herself into situations that weren't her business and she'd just always be there with no reprieve. We found her a small apartment and moved her out right quick and the house just became peaceful.

She's convinced that none of it ever happened but once when we were cleaning out old paperwork, Shirl came across my checkbook duplicates and I heard her grumbling something like "I almost believed her. grrr." Apparently, my mom had told her that she paid for the house and it was hers and she controls who comes and goes. The payment records showed the actual truth and I'm glad it all came to light because there were other things she told Shirl that I could also disprove and since it came up, I was able to. Well, remembering all this isn't helping me to forgive and I'm sure it's not half as bad as what some of you've been through but my wife is the best thing that's ever happened in my life and it sure is hard to be kind to someone that didn't want that for me. I'm trying though.

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
She showed everyone what the sister bought her but left the gift that Shirl gave her at or house. Didn't even say thank you, not once.

If it were up to me, she wouldn't be welcome in my home until she apologized.
quote:
13 years I gave her a place to live and she thanked me by trying to make sure that Shirl didn't want to marry me. She'd say things to Shirl when I wasn't around.

... nor would she.

Of course, you could do as I did. Since I cut the toxic people out of my life, there aren't really that many left.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 653 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
When my dad split on mom, she came to live with me. 13 years I gave her a place to live and she thanked me by trying to make sure that Shirl didn't want to marry me. She'd say things to Shirl when I wasn't around. Fortunately, I had financial records and other evidence that proved it all wrong. Mom stayed with us after we got married for about a year until I just couldn't do it any more. She'd interfere in the relationship and insert herself into situations that weren't her business and she'd just always be there with no reprieve. We found her a small apartment and moved her out right quick and the house just became peaceful.

She's convinced that none of it ever happened but once when we were cleaning out old paperwork, Shirl came across my checkbook duplicates and I heard her grumbling something like "I almost believed her. grrr." Apparently, my mom had told her that she paid for the house and it was hers and she controls who comes and goes. The payment records showed the actual truth and I'm glad it all came to light because there were other things she told Shirl that I could also disprove and since it came up, I was able to. Well, remembering all this isn't helping me to forgive and I'm sure it's not half as bad as what some of you've been through but my wife is the best thing that's ever happened in my life and it sure is hard to be kind to someone that didn't want that for me. I'm trying though.

I feel for you. It's not easy,especially in that situation. It's sad things like this happen with family members when trying to help them. I'll be praying for you my friend.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post