SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the Florida Coast
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the Florida Coast Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It is. I wouldn’t know about the ice fishing because we only spend three months here. Once the kids are gone, we’ll stay longer.

Posts: 11003 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is beautiful. Spent many summers on Lake Michigan. Lake Erie is the best for ice fishing since it is so shallow. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
North Florida is drastically colder than south Florida. It might be 79 degrees at my house at night in south Florida but my sisters house near Jacksonville is 63 degrees. You basically can’t open the windows at all year round in south Florida and have 100% AC all the time. In north Florida you can open the windows about 30-40 days a year for a nice comfortable 55-60 degree night time cross breeze in your house. It might be the same state but the comfort level in north Florida is MUCH better.

People don’t realize how massive Florida is. If you start in Keywest and head NW non stop driving you’ll STILL be in Florida 16 hours later …

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on retirement first of all. I live in SW Florida, about 1 1/2 hours south of Sarasota, There are issues in every region of the world, yes we see hurricanes ( not that often in this area) but we have usually a week or more to track the systems. You dont get that in areas with earthquakes, fire storms, and nor easters, or major snow storms. That said home prices are high,but it looks like it may have peaked for now. If your looking to build there are so many homes being built you are generally looking at a year for completion in a lot of areas.
Enjoy life, be well

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
As a 40yr old who has been down here from Pittsburgh for 15 years permanent but been coming to FL since I was 5, it really depends on what your activities are. Each area of FL is vastly different.

Just some things to ask -

Close to water or no water?
Horses?
Golf?
Fishing?
Hunting?
Boat access to Bahamas?
Speak Spanish?
Do you want property and peace/quiet or near the hustle and bustle?
Do you want some temperature variations? N. FL gets way cooler than then rest of the state.
Shoot guns on your own property or go to a gun range?
Golf cart access?

I spearfish and rod n reel fish a ton across all three sectors -commercial, charter, and recreational. For me, the Central Gulf Coast is perfect for this. We live in an equestrian community (don't have any horses myself) on the western edge of Tampa so we have larger lots but still close to things. Love our neighborhood as we're secluded but only 15- 20 mins away from TPA. The wife loves the beaches and we're close to Clearwater and St. Pete.

For me, S. Florida is out of the question. It's like a totally different country down there.
I like visiting the Keys but don't think I could live there. Keys-itis is a real thing and not sure how anything ever gets accomplished down there.
My company has an office in the Jax Beach area which is very nice. Downtown Jax is not so nice.
I hate anything having to do with the Mouse so I avoid that area.
SW FL is nice but I feel overpriced and getting way overcrowded.

If I did have to move from my area, I would be looking a little north along the Nature Coast area. Kind of from Spring Hill/Brooksville north all the way around the horn to Panacea. Still quiet, still has the old Florida feel. You can get some property to yourself, be close to the water, get a reasonably priced house.

If you need access to top notch doctors, then close to the Gainesville area would be a good option.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: steelcityfishanddive,

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
I moved a couple years ago from Colorado to Ormond Beach after I was retired. Partially due to my parents living in St.Augustine. With this covid influence there has been a huge influx of north easterners to move here. Then again Colorado was being overwhelmed also. St. Augustine has gotten crowed thou still has nice beaches. Ormand and Flagler are decent also. Whats nice is there are “seasons” so its a change from hot and humid, always a breeze compared to inland which is noticeably muggier. I live about 4 miles from water, plenty of ramps to launch boats. They say it takes about 3 years to get used to living here and thats about right.

I would also recommend the Ormond Beach to Palm Coast areas. Beaches, rivers, large variety of restaurants, close enough to Daytona Beach and Orlando airports, large variety of shopping, Halifax Health and Advent Health medical networks, in addition to a multitude private practices, taxes and home insurance still relatively reasonable, and myself, Pedropcola, and Valkyrie1 nearby!

Posts: 850 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida is big but if you start in Key West and drive 16 hours you are about 4 hours out of Florida. (Key West to Pensacola is 12)

I lived in Pensacola for a long time hence my moniker. I live just north of Daytona and I prefer it in nearly every way to the panhandle. St Augustine down to Melbourne is the sweet spot on the Atlantic side.

And yea, the three of us are a draw!

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a Florida resident but if I were moving to FL, I think it would be the pan handle for me until proven otherwise.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post