SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the Florida Coast
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the Florida Coast Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
NE FL is the best in I’m my opinion.

Less heat and stupidity. I travel the state frequently and have service techs across it.

St. Augustine is the place to be.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of d4rks1d3
posted Hide Post
4th generation Floridian here. Highly suggest touring the state before you move. Feel of south Florida is much different than north Florida, like others have said. It has been said that in this state the further you go north, the further you go south (as in culture). I’m afraid if humidity isn’t your thing, Florida might not be your ticket. Also, go SFH. Feel free to PM. Good luck.

Posts: 625 | Registered: May 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

No state income tax but property taxes are considerable.
Property tax on my house is right around $1,600 / year. That's in a city adjacent to Orlando (the city line is about 50, maybe 100 yards south of my house).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in Santa Rosa county as well. I could deal with escambia county if the schools were better. But the panhandle counties are pretty conservative and I like sheriff Bob and sheriff Chip in escambia is legit as well

I have a membership to escambia river gun club if you guys want to meet up and target shoot.

quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
I've been in Santa Rosa County (close to Pensacola) for a month now and Im loving it! The humidity is a little more than I've grown use to living in Socal but i.m getting use to it. People are friendly and not much traffic. Oh yeah, the Sheriff is awesome.

I secpnd this. We lived in the Tampa area for 20 years and have now been in Santa Rosa for 22 years. The most beautiful beaches in the world and best school system in the state, a half million-acre state forest, lots of fishing and hunting, good tax rate, low crime, great sheriff, military friendly, and lots of Let's Go Brandon bumper stickers. Plus, you have Navy Shooter and me.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Tampa, my older bro still lives there, and my little bro lives in Bradenton. I was stationed in Yankeetown (Crystal River) when I was in the CG. And spent summers in Mayo near Live Oak. If I had to move to Fla, I’d move near Crystal River or in Citrus County..or Levy county

There’s always gonna be bugs and humidity.

But based on age and doctor requirements, I’d recommend you find a good medical center nearby. If you have any issues. My grand dad had to go to Gainesville from Mayo to get good medicla treatment.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Check out Perdido Key or Orange Beach across the line in Alabama. Beautiful gulf coast but far enough west to be a little away from the crazy tourist crowds of Destin, PCB, Seaside, etc.

You can be on Perdido Key minutes from the beach in a 1500sf townhouse for under 600k. Or in a single family house on the bayou in Orange Beach/Lillian for similar.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Property tax on my house is right around $1,600 / year. That's in a city adjacent to Orlando (the city line is about 50, maybe 100 yards south of my house).

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not bad. Mine is 600 dollars per year. My insurance however is North of three thousand and I am ten miles from the Gulf. Many homes directly on the beach cannot get insurance.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a son and grandkids in Jacksonville. Had a close cousin in Palm Beach County. Entire Atlantic coast appears to be continuous urban sprawl, gut-wrenching traffic everywhere. I found nothing that appealed to me. I don't speak Noo Yawk, or Joisey, or Dominican dialects; I get along just fine with Cubans as long as they are patient with my slow southwest US Spanish (actually we call it Spanglish around here).

Spoiled by a lifetime on the edge of the Great Southwestern Desert, next to zero humidity, 330-plus days of sunshine every year, living in Colorado where over half of the state is public land.

I hope you find your little slice of heaven in Florida.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I moved a couple years ago from Colorado to Ormond Beach after I was retired. Partially due to my parents living in St.Augustine. With this covid influence there has been a huge influx of north easterners to move here. Then again Colorado was being overwhelmed also. St. Augustine has gotten crowed thou still has nice beaches. Ormand and Flagler are decent also. Whats nice is there are “seasons” so its a change from hot and humid, always a breeze compared to inland which is noticeably muggier. I live about 4 miles from water, plenty of ramps to launch boats. They say it takes about 3 years to get used to living here and thats about right.

Posts: 2309 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

No state income tax but property taxes are considerable.

You’ve been homesteaded for a long time and benefited from the 3% annual cap on increases in taxable value. Someone, from out of state like the OP, buying your home today would pay significantly more than you do.

For the OP: millage rates vary between about $15/$1,000 and $26/$1,000 in Florida. Insurance varies as well. Homes built to current code are cheaper to insure. Homes like mine, built 50 years ago and 4 feet below the current flood elevation not so much. When flood and wind got to be $10,000 a year, I paid off my mortgage and dropped flood and wind. That was 17 years ago and the amount I’ve save is more than enough to cover building a new house.

Posts: 11004 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I really want to thank each and every one that has taken the time to reply. I forgot to ad, my Wife is a Clinical Phycologist with Vanderbilt and will be looking for work. We are no stranger here to humidity here in Nashville, but miss the ocean. Anyone here from Alabama Coast?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I have been watching the real estate tansactions for Vero Beach. Low inventory has maintained a steady sellar's market but the rising interest rates have caused a correction. I have seen buyers coming in under asking now.
I would look in the Melbourne area. Warm but mid Florida, less huricane risk than southern Florida.
A new exit was created off of Rt 95 just north of Melbourne which opens up land that was previously overlooked.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
The entire real estate market is changing/correcting with the interest rates. Hopefully we will not have a mortgage. THAT being figured in, opinions. We have no children just a couple Aussies, so schools/kids, not so much,but perhaps another College for my Wife’s profession.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mobile has several colleges. South Alabama and Spring Hill come to mind. There is also Mobile College. South Alabama is the largest and has a medical school as well. Eastern shore is the nicer area.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
I really want to thank each and every one that has taken the time to reply. I forgot to ad, my Wife is a Clinical Phycologist with Vanderbilt and will be looking for work. We are no stranger here to humidity here in Nashville, but miss the ocean. Anyone here from Alabama Coast?

My MIL is a clinical psychologist. She is semi-retired now but had a lucrative practice in Gulf Breeze, in Santa Rosa County near the beach

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would expand your search to other states. Lots of them. Never been to FL. But from all the threads I read on here. There is nothing I would care to move there for and lots that would lead me elsewhere.
But every one is different.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19226 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
As a lifetime resident…well since 1957. I agree with Rugged Cross, look elsewhere. We have humidity, bugs, alligators , heat and way too much yankee carpetbaggers.While I know your not. We are not the Fla of yesterday. Traffic control cannot keep up with the growth.and according to one poster I have lived in a “Shit Hole” for the last 64 yrs. A town my youngest Grandson is named after. So there is that. As far as I am concerned “everyone” look elsewhere. I’m sure no other state is as screwed up as us, right?

Posts: 4413 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

I would look in the Melbourne area. Warm but mid Florida, less huricane risk than southern Florida.
A new exit was created off of Rt 95 just north of Melbourne which opens up land that was previously overlooked.

My Mom has lived in Melbourne for close to 20 years, and I enjoy visiting when I get a chance. Pretty easy to get to the ocean beaches.

The area you reference is part of Viera (I think) - that town has grown like crazy over the past few years, and continues to add more people, stores, and infrastructure.

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There’s beachfront in other states without hurricanes, alligators, sharks, or salt. For example:

Posts: 11004 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK One of the Great Lakes. Huron I presume???

They do have winter. How is the ice fishing?