SIGforum
If you're not careful, you *will* get ripped off online

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1490097944

November 19, 2018, 03:07 PM
DaBigBR
If you're not careful, you *will* get ripped off online
A lot of these guys don't "sound" Nigerian because they're not. They're taking money locally, keeping a cut, and forwarding it on.. In other words, they're Americans participating in the scam.

Want to know how you can make $2953.57 per day just sitting at home?
November 19, 2018, 03:09 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
He always struck me as a little bit “fishy” too. But I’m curious about how he was planning to run this scam if he posted that he wouldn’t ship in his ad? Doesn’t that leave a FTF transaction as the only choice remaining?
I was wondering the same thing. How would the scam work if he says he won't ship? I don't get it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
November 19, 2018, 03:15 PM
bolo4tom
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
No pictures on a for sale post is a huge red flag to me.

If you are legit and honest, you'll figure out how to post up a couple of pics.

that shouldn't neccesarily be a flag, I don't use photobucket anymore and haven't found a new one to use yet. they're just a PIA but I always offer my email to request pics.

Yea, its a big flag. You are claiming 18+ years of selling on gunbroker but finding a replcement for photobucket is too hard? Most people here figured it out in order to post cat pictures yet you can't figure it out for business?

You may not see it, but that is a hugh bright red flag and its waving like theres a hurricane going on.

im not 'claiming' sh*t, im stating FACT. If its such a red flag for you. just move right on past any postings I have and enjoy your day. and btw, this isn't a business, its a HOBBY and every page im a member of, I can do a simple attachment or upload for pics, maybe I have a life that doesn't require me to seek out img. hosters
November 19, 2018, 03:25 PM
Skins2881
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
No pictures on a for sale post is a huge red flag to me.

If you are legit and honest, you'll figure out how to post up a couple of pics.

that shouldn't neccesarily be a flag, I don't use photobucket anymore and haven't found a new one to use yet. they're just a PIA but I always offer my email to request pics.

Yea, its a big flag. You are claiming 18+ years of selling on gunbroker but finding a replcement for photobucket is too hard? Most people here figured it out in order to post cat pictures yet you can't figure it out for business?

You may not see it, but that is a hugh bright red flag and its waving like theres a hurricane going on.

im not 'claiming' sh*t, im stating FACT. If its such a red flag for you. just move right on past any postings I have and enjoy your day. and btw, this isn't a business, its a HOBBY and every page im a member of, I can do a simple attachment or upload for pics, maybe I have a life that doesn't require me to seek out img. hosters

Did you ever notice, that every single other forum or website you visit has advertisements and pop-ups on them. Ever notice how there is not one single ad on here? Did you pay for a subscription when you signed up here?

The owner of this forum at his own expense funds this site. That is why it doesn't host your pictures for you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 19, 2018, 03:27 PM
bayoushooter
His 2 responses after me asking him to ship:

“I don't mind shipping to Louisiana.
USPS MO for payment.
FedEx 2 days delivery with Online tracking#.
The package will be properly wrapped like fine chine in a larger box. Kindly have your FFL's info Emailed to me.

Thanks.”

And the 2nd Email:

“Okay, Will be looking out for your FFL information.

Adam Roberson
28 westview st , Philadelphia , PA , 19119,

Kindly E-mail me tracking# for the mail.

Thanks.”

His Email handle is:
tt schnider

Email address:
schnidert@yahoo.com
November 19, 2018, 03:29 PM
bolo4tom
Did you ever notice, that every single other forum or website you visit has advertisements and pop-ups on them. Ever notice how there is not one single ad on here? Did you pay for a subscription when you signed up here?

The owner of this forum at his own expense funds this site. That is why it doesn't host your pictures for you.[/QUOTE]

I didnt think I was complaining bout this site not hosting pics for me...did I?? I simply stated that img hosters are a pia and I hadn't found one yet. TomKat mentioned one to me that im going to try tonite. people have a choice if pics are not posted, ask for them, or move along. simple, and I wont fault them for either choice.
November 19, 2018, 03:29 PM
oddball
I have not seen his ads, I rarely cruise the classifieds. But I did notice this guy's posts in the lair and lounge, some worded awkwardly, others smelled funny. Almost like a Replicant created some of the posts.

Glad you caught him before any damage done.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
November 19, 2018, 03:30 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
He always struck me as a little bit “fishy” too. But I’m curious about how he was planning to run this scam if he posted that he wouldn’t ship in his ad? Doesn’t that leave a FTF transaction as the only choice remaining?

I could see how that scam might work. Post a desireable item, and then state you wont ship. Since the item is in demand, people will contact you anyway to see if you are willing to budge on shipping. The scammer states "Well...I guess if you pay for the shipping I could do it." That lures the buyer into a false sense of security. Kind of like reverse psychology.

Also pinged my radar. I've seen "face to face" or "prefer local" or "might ship but would rather deal locally first," or "will only ship rifle for out of state but not whole package" but "will not ship" raised the red flag for me.

It might work on someone who wants the particular gun badly enough. "Oooook, look, I didn't want to deal with shipping, but if you'll cover that and XXXXX fees, I'll deal with you."

You don't see a lot of PSL's listed.

November 19, 2018, 03:33 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
I didnt think I was complaining bout this site not hosting pics for me...did I?? I simply stated that img hosters are a pia and I hadn't found one yet. TomKat mentioned one to me that im going to try tonite. people have a choice if pics are not posted, ask for them, or move along. simple, and I wont fault them for either choice.

You know, not to muddle the thread any further, but type "free image hosting" into ANY search engine, and try the top three results and you'll have your pics hosted in less time than you've spent debating this. Hasn't been a problem for me, never having used photobucket in the first place, hasn't been a problem for most of the users of the internet. I have every confidence you can sort it out.

Bear in mind we're discussing a scammer who's been on the forum longer than you have.

November 19, 2018, 03:34 PM
bolo4tom
Ma'am, please calm down. I'm in charge of refunds of membership fees. I am authorizing double your money back.[/QUOTE]

double? ill take it! Smile
November 19, 2018, 03:36 PM
bolo4tom
You know, not to muddle the thread any further, but type "free image hosting" into ANY search engine, and try the top three results and you'll have your pics hosted in less time than you've spent debating this. Hasn't been a problem for me, never having used photobucket in the first place, hasn't been a problem for most of the users of the internet. I have every confidence you can sort it out.

Bear in mind we're discussing a scammer who's been on the forum longer than you have.[/QUOTE]

ill get around to it
November 19, 2018, 03:38 PM
redleg2/9
quote:
How did you figure it out? He doesn't talk like a typical Nigeria scam artist.

Looked at a couple of Para's referenced posting.

When was the last time you saw someone spell "cn't"?

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/
November 19, 2018, 03:41 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
ill get around to it

Awwww, whassamatta? You mad your buddy got banned? Not gonna get your share now? Bet you both share an IP range.

November 19, 2018, 03:41 PM
YooperSigs
He misspelled his occupation on his profile.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 19, 2018, 03:42 PM
bolo4tom
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
ill get around to it

Awwww, whassamatta? You mad your buddy got banned? Not gonna get your share now?

ill get my share from your wife, but thanks
November 19, 2018, 03:44 PM
bolo4tom
as I posted before, im legit..i understand the concern bout scammers, but you don't have to treat everyone like sh*t bc they're new...

https://www.gunbroker.com/a/feedback/profile/47605
November 19, 2018, 03:44 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
quote:
quote:
ill get around to it

Awwww, whassamatta? You mad your buddy got banned? Not gonna get your share now?

November 19, 2018, 03:47 PM
bolo4tom
already been said hasn't it??
November 19, 2018, 03:52 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
quote:
quote:
ill get around to it

That escalated fast.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
November 19, 2018, 03:52 PM
P220 Smudge
Join date, post count. *shrug*

Internet tough guy derailing a thread to warn the membership about some shit-heel scammer doesn't at all raise a shit-ton of red flags. Not at all.