SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eighty high school sophomores are caught cheating on final exams using social media
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eighty high school sophomores are caught cheating on final exams using social media Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This is shocking. Who would have ever thought that social media would be used to cheat Roll Eyes

Eighty high school sophomores from Georgia had their final exam scores thrown out after it was revealed that they had cheated.

Gwinnett County Schools officials have confirmed that someone had shared on social media answers to final exams in 10th-grade language arts, world history and chemistry.

It is believed that eighty students at Dacula High School - none of them graduating seniors - copied the answers and used them during the tests.

All the students involved in the incident were given scores of zero and must now retake the finals.

School administrators said 'a preponderance of evidence' helped them identify the cheaters.

They suspect that the person who had shared the answers to the countywide exams online is not a student at Daclua.

Dacula senior Jedidiah Adetoye, who was not implicated in the scandal, said other students passed around a scrap of paper, presumably bearing answers to the test questions, and took photos of it, then wrote the correct responses on their hands.

A spokesperson for Gwinnett County Public School District said the cheaters have been disciplined, but would not get into details.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ed-social-media.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And why would they need to retake the finals?
Leave them at zero and call it good.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This kind of crap is as old as Julius Caesar.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30499 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
This kind of crap is as old as Julius Caesar.

yep. Etu, Brute?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19749 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:

My exact question too.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14048 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dacula is not the sleepy little slow spot in the road school/community that my oldest son attended when we moved there over the 4th of July weekend 1981. We were absolutely sure we were far enough out of Atlanta that the Dacula/Lawrenceville area would remain unaffected by the Atlanta mess. But, sadly, by 1989 it was time to go. The city marched right up I-85 and soiled everything in its path. Now, whenever we go back to visit every few years I can't even find my way around. The scandal that is the subject of this thread is a damned shame but not really surprising when you look at what Atlanta's encroachment has done to what used to be a really great little place to raise a family.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So I had an English class late in the day that was also taught early in the day for other kids. We figured early on that the same quiz was given in both classes so we all and I mean ALL sort of just started getting the answers from the early quiz. Well after a bit you get lazy and you barely even read the questions......that is when that evil, maniacal bitch struck (and I say that with nothing but true respect. She was brilliant evil Smile). The English teacher once she had us lulled into a false sense of security.....SHE CHANGED UP THE TESTS.

The next day she walked the class giggling as she handed back quizzes saying in a giddy manner “F”.....”F”.......”F”.......”D”....”F”

You had to respect that.

Oh and there was no take the test again crap.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7713 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Kids at that age can be stupid. I don't have a problem with re-giving the test but it should be at a very inconvenient time, like the first or second Saturday in July. One notice to the parents and let the chips fall where they may.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

My exact question too.

My read is these are state exams required to graduate. At our school the tests started with Sophmores. If they passed, fine. If not, they get four more chances. Twice as Juniors, twice as Seniors. Then there's the last minute rush to make a packet of their that gets accepted in place of the test.

The state tests are from the "No Child Left Behind" Laws (AKA "no brat shall fail.") Schools live and die on the test results. Lesson plans are often linked to the areas on the test. Released questions, used on past tests, are given as practice.

Oddly, our best jump in scores came when the security officer (retired SFC) made a number of short films. Done in the best Army style, they explained how the questions counted and how to answer them. He taught how to take the test.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely agree.

Posts: 4509 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so they failed...might even cost them the year

thats OK

no re-take as no one else gets the chance

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53280 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have multiple versions of each exam for each class during a quarter. That way looking on your neighbors answer sheet will give the "wrong" answers. I also often make changes to exams between quarters so if someone does sneak an extra copy, or take a pic of last quarter's exam, it won't be the same.

I have failed students for taking a secret pic of their answers and sending the pic to their friends in the class during the exam. I failed a student for using his smartphone during the exam. When I told him he failed, he claimed he wasted $100, as he "bought" the answers to the exam. (Problem is, I just made up that exam and I didn't have the answers, so I confirmed to him he wasted his money)

And a few times I have documented students almost certainly cheating, having the same wrong numbers and same wrong format and same wrong terminology (accounting exams), but couldn't figure out how they did it.

Once the social justice Dept Chair acknowledged cheating, but wouldn't confirm failing students for cheating. In another instance 8 students were failed for cheating, it went on their transcript, the Dean and the VP Academics backed me up. One student had her acceptance to a Univ of CA withdrawn accordingly. She wasn't happy with me, I told her it was her own fault.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I had a hot new professor in college that used the exact test from the teachers study guide.

oh...Did I mention we had found the teachers study guide in the University library ? Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3504 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Julius Caesar caught ‘em cheating and sold them into slavery.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

Of all the many scandals I pulled in my college years, cheating was never among them.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29753 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Around 25 years ago I spent 3 years teaching High School upper level math when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do when I grew up. I caught a couple guys cheating on a big test, gave them zeros and no retakes. I made 3 versions of the same test- all had the same questions, just in different order, so blindly copying your neighbor's answers most likely ended up with the answers for the other questions and thereby being caught red handed. The F completely ruined their semester grades, however at the end of the year, they actually came up to me and thanked me for it-they felt it woke them up to reality and real life.
I guess these days it is all do- overs and participation trophies.

Posts: 480 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
While on faculty loan assignment to Hampton U (the epitome of black colleges and universities) I defined at the beginning of each semester the basic ground rules of the class. Cheating would not be tolerated!! Cheat and get caught and you fail the course and have to repeat it.

First semester, caught 3 kids cheating. Gave them failing marks for the course. 2 girls and a boy. One of the girl's mother drove all the way down from New York to fight for her offspring. Told me that if I was a Christian I would have to forgive here offspring. Told her that as Christian I forgave the girl, but the failing grade stayed! Basis for the "forgiveness"? The girl was going to go into the army, and was pregnant! TS! Told mommy that I had spent 11 years in the army and that her daughter would not do well with her attitude.

At the end of the school year as wife and I were driving out of the campus, we were stopped by about 2 dozen students, most of them in tears.

Their question was why I was leaving, and when I was gone "who would care about them?" Damn monitor acting up again.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25645 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The English teacher once she had us lulled into a false sense of security.....SHE CHANGED UP THE TESTS.

Then you might like my approach to the problem. I wrote a set of computer programs to generate an absolutely unique exam for each student, along with a completed solution. Once I run the program, not only is each test unique, but I added the touch of printing the name and University ID number in the header on each exam. So, when the students come in to class, I hand them their exam. They can copy all they want because no two questions have the same answer. Grading is easy, I just open the solution PDF for each student and compare to their work. Works like a charm. It has the added bonus of the expressions on the students faces when I hand out the exams and those that planned on cheating realize they're are screwed. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DrDan,

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4894 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

Dacula senior Jedidiah Adetoye, who was not implicated in the scandal, said other students passed around a scrap of paper, presumably bearing answers to the test questions, and took photos of it, then wrote the correct responses on their hands.

Nice of the paper to publish the snitches name.

Even if I was cheating I always left a few questions wrong. buncha dumb dumbs. Or if I was giving people the answers I left a few wrong so my test score was different then theirs.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8229 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Simple life lesson: You risk breaking a rule, you have to be willing to suffer the consequences.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38035 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post