SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Say it ain’t so!!! Police Cruiser seen sliding on ice!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Say it ain’t so!!! Police Cruiser seen sliding on ice! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm perfectly OK with this, assuming the officer would've left someone not affiliated with law enforcement alone for doing the same thing.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I try to take all my new ambulance drivers to snowy parking lots to train them on how to drive on snow and ice. Got to learn somehow. And the time to not learn is running a call.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I was raised in snow country and in High School, we had a students parking lot and a teachers parking lot. You could also park on the street.

When we got a good snowfall, the word would go out to park on the street, then we'd take turns driving into the student lot at around 40 MPH and then spinning donuts.

It was great training for us.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Used to practice donuts etc with my friends at night in empty parking lots, atleast you used to know how to handle a car in snow. I see no problems with that video

Yup...we did the same, as many have said doing it in practice makes for less of a pucker factor when it happens in real life.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
There is no better training for driving on slick surfaces than to actually get out and drive on a slick surface. Better to get a good understanding of how your vehicle reacts in the ice and snow in a parking lot than out in traffic.

Everybody should do this.

Truth. Absolute truth. Growing up and learning how to drive where I did, this is basically a requirement. Once I had my own beater, at the start of every winter, I went to an open parking lot and skidded and slipped that puppy all over the place to dial in the feel.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
My old department…they’ll probably get slapped.

Oh for the days before GPS and damned cameras in everyone’s pocket. It used to be a fun job.

My initial response was that it was sort of a "tongue in cheek" response from the WPD, but after reading chongosuerte's post, I don't know. It would surely be a shame if there was a disciplinary response. Cops doing donuts in the snow.....really, who gives a shit?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Taxpayers own that car, not him. If he breaks it, does he get to fix it?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

If spinning wheels and sliding on snow on a flat lot is going to break something, it is already broken. Better to find out where there is no chance of collateral damage. And it puts almost a zero stress on components.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess the safest/smartest thing for the officer to do is go park behind a billboard and stay there his whole shift.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Everybody has a video camera
they are waiting for something to happen
Assume you are being video taped
and that it will be on the internet and reported
or/ reported and put on the internet

regardless of anyones thoughts on the matter
good or bad idea, great practice or dumb move
yer gonna be famous...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an SP in the USAF I used to cruise out to the North 40 on midnight shifts in the winter and "practice" my ice driving skills. Several acres of wide open space - a blast. (in the summer months the North 40 was always used as overflow parking for pilots coming in from other bases to golf - not so much in the frigid winter Big Grin)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ The Priority B ramp was a fine spot for sliding around!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
I'm perfectly OK with this, assuming the officer would've left someone not affiliated with law enforcement alone for doing the same thing.

This.

And let's not be coy about it being "training." I'd like to see the lesson plan and the performance objective checkoff sheet that went into the officer's training file. Supervisors are smarter than that. It's like trying claim that shooting rats at the county landfill counts as "training." If you wouldn't, with a straight face, ask a supervisor if you could do it, it isn't training, it's screwing around, not that that's necessarily bad, call volume and all other things considered.

Driving on an ice covered parking lot is a hoot, plain and simple. The guy or gal was most likely goofing around, and Lord knows I have no problem with that until metal gets bent or someone gets hurt. I've done it, but sure wouldn't do it in a day of ever-present video recorders. Every cop knows you go to the back parking lot behind the mall to do this, or see how fast and far you can push a grocery cart before it tips over, drag race your sector partner or any of the other questionable cruiser stunts we do, or did.

Maybe I'm just salty because one of our troops tore up a new Police Utility while "training" on a local motocross track.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
Every cop knows you go to the back parking lot behind the mall to do this, or see how fast and far you can push a grocery cart before it tips over, drag race your sector partner or any of the other questionable cruiser stunts we do

"Allegedly"

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a life people! I spent my teenage years doing this very thing. It vastly improved my ability to handle my car. I learned as a kid that some cops were cool and liked to do stuff like this.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
More Karens, another busybody who can’t mind their own business, and probably got ticketed by a cop or schooled by a cop, or just don’t like cops. No problem you’ll see less and less police and when you need one in the dead cold of an icy night right away, remember you bitched about their driving. I

Posts: 2846 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a few years ago I pulled into the snow covered elementary school lot near my home. A police officer was parked at the far end. I drove up next to him rolled down the window and asked he minded if I did a few donuts. He didn't so I did. No mess, no fuss.

Posts: 841 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
quote:

I guess the safest/smartest thing for the officer to do is go park behind a billboard and stay there his whole shift.

or maybe he should use the car to do his job.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
kidcop, "training" does not always have to have a lesson plan and a checklist, with a monitor. Anything one does to improve his capabilities can be considered "training", and (even if also fun) I think this event qualifies.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
quote:

or maybe he should use the car to do his job.

There's a thought. Do the work while he's on the clock and go play on his own time, kind of like what almost everyone else has to do.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post