SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rotator cuff surgery, 3rd time lucky? Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rotator cuff surgery, 3rd time lucky? Update Login/Join 
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted
I've been away for a while due to limited time off and crazy things happening downtown with all the car jackings and thefts. I'm going to have a bunch of time off to catch up though due to another shoulder surgery this Friday. Seems the 2nd surgery did not work too well and the repair needs to be redone. So, here I go with number three on this shoulder.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had rotator cuff surgery that didn't take. Did the repair work the second time around? Since I've already had the labrum, bicep and rotator cuff repaired twice, I'm concerned that perhaps the damage is too great and I may not fully recover, or that I may be severely limited in what I can do as I get close to retirement.

Update....No surgery as of yet. Decided at the last minute to get another opinion. Doctor looked over the scans and didn't agree with the full tear assessment. There is a severe partial tear, but he doesn't feel that I have to do the surgery right now. It's probable that I may have to eventually get it done, but it's not an emergency situation. So I have two excellent surgeons with one saying surgery and another not now. I've decided on getting a 3rd opinion, since I want to be sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Klusk2,

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Best of luck and hope this time it's fixed for good.

Mine was mostly labrum cartilage repair with minor repair to rotators and biceps attachment. That was ten years ago and still holding up well. Done by Chadwick Prodromos in Chicago.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38698 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Rotator cuff surgery lasted about 10 years, now its torn again. My other shoulder also has a tear.
Both my knees are bone on bone and need replacement. I put that off for a couple years due to Covid BS. In the mean time I had a DR screw up my Cataract surgery, had to go to the Cleveland Clinic to get it fixed as good as possible.
Now I read on here about a member having infections in his knee replacements and the horrors of dealing with that problem.
I will be taking a long, hard, look at any medical procedures in the future.I doubt I will have shoulder surgery again because I fear a worse shoulder after surgery than before.
I have lost a huge amount of faith in the medical profession.

Posts: 4633 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume the same guy is doing your shoulder. The best shoulder guys limit themselves to just shoulders. They get very proficient at it. The best results are with those who do the PT faithfully and do not overdo it. I assume it is a workers comp matter.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want a fellowship trained high volume guy with a well established PT program.

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your best bet may be a reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. Essentially bypasses the bad cuff. After a couple repairs I wouldn’t be optimistic that you will do well after another

Posts: 3296 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Good luck and a swift recovery!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post