Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spider ID Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
Any idea what kind of spider this is? Distance from back legs to front legs about 2 inches. Very poor photo taken with a point and shoot camera and difficult lighting conditions.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Banana spider, great big, no?
Shouldn't be a problem.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Believe it's a Yellow Garden Spider (Argiope aurantia). Common in California and Oregon.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16361 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
And generally harmless to humans. Good to have in your yard--it eats lots of bugs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This looks like a run of the mill Orb Weaver. They come in an incredible range of colors, sizes, shapes, and morphology. This doesn’t look like a Garden Spider (Argiope)- the morphology is way off. They have really long legs.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15588 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I’ll agree with gearhounds. They build some really neat looking webs, and catch a lot of bugs.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And generally harmless to humans

Hmmm...there is something about that word "generally" that is somewhat suspicious. Kinda like, "black bears generally don't attack humans to eat them......

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
To me, that web looks busier and less orby (technical term...not! Wink ) than classic orb weavers make - those are usually highly organized two-dimensional (on a plane, like a sheet). This kind of thing:

Orb-weaver or not, that's not one of the venomous spiders to worry about.
What you have there is a large, harmless, and - if you garden - fairly effective pest-removing gardening assistant.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
quote:
And generally harmless to humans

Hmmm...there is something about that word "generally" that is somewhat suspicious. Kinda like, "black bears generally don't attack humans to eat them......
They are not aggressive and don't usually bite humans. I suppose there might be a few persons who are allergic to their venom if they were bitten. For most of us the worst probable harm would be in the thrashing we do when running into one of their webs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
A Yellow Garden Spider, or Orb Weaver seems to be the closest to what I saw. Didn’t think location was relevant when I started this thread, but this photo was taken in the back country of the Southern Oregon Coastal Range and a very long ways from any civilization. I can’t recall seeing any of these at home. I wish I had my good camera with me as the lighting of sun coming down thru trees made it very difficult to even get the spider in the view finder of the point and shoot camera I had with me.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me, that web looks busier and less orby

An orb web is an orb web, no matter how orby (sounds like a Dr Seuss title Big Grin). There are parallel trap sections lower left- some are more intricate and busier than others I suppose.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15588 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post