SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You guys were right - just drive it and enjoy! (Corvette-related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You guys were right - just drive it and enjoy! (Corvette-related) Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Had my semi-annual checkup with the VA Doc today. The VA Outpatient Clinic is in Bangor, about 60 miles away.

Took the Vette of course. Trip up was okay but I was paying more attention to getting there on time than enjoying the ride. They're paving about 3 miles of a major choke-point on the usual route but I thought I'd left early enough to deal with that. I was wrong. Traffic was at a complete standstill well over a mile before the start of the project.

Long story short, I took an alternate route home, via roads I used to ride frequently on the bike. Several (20?) miles "out of my way" but fun roads on the bike.

I took your advice - "Screw the mileage, just enjoy the experience" - to heart and played like I would have on the bike. Picking apexes, concentrating on timing of braking and acceleration and just enjoying "driving with both feet" as a friend puts it.

And ya know what? I don't think it made a damn bit of difference in the mileage one way or the other, and frankly, Charlotte, I don't give a clam.

GLORIOUS day to be tooling around in a convertible!

EDIT: The Doc said he'd be happy to see my blood work numbers in a 23 year old, much less an old fart like me...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the check up.

This is the correct approach on the Vette.

A year ago, I bought a 2001 911. Just under 300HP, it's not the most powerful car out there. It's not very fuel efficient, but 2nd and 3rd gears are incredibly fun. I've toggled off the dash screen that shows average mpg. And the handling is cra-cra.

P229

Posts: 3879 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
LOL - I do the same with my Hellcat.

Sometimes the 5 mile commute home ends up being 20 miles.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14065 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
There's few things more relaxing than senselessly burning some fossil fuels on a nice evening on some back roads. I don't even have a sports car or a bike anymore, but putting the window down in my truck and crusing though farm country is time well spent, even at 9mpg!

Posts: 8797 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post