SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ceramic paint coatings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ceramic paint coatings Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I am looking at getting the Simoniz glasscoat ceramic paint coating on my new truck and was wondering if anyone had done this to their car or not. I have not heard of ceramic paint coatings before the dealer told me about it the other day. I have a new car I want to keep it really nice. I’ve also learned that there are multiple different types of clearcoat paint protection so is one brand far superior than another? Is it legit or a scam?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
feel free to give me a call
four2 five three 0 1 0790

Aaron.

Did this for a living for well over 10 years

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with that brand, but make sure they do paint correction first. Yes it's needed even on a new car.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The VinWiki YouTube channel is working up an extensive test on the AvalonKing coating.

IIRC they're taking a Mercedes S-Class from GA to AK with 1/2 the car coated & then tossing/shooting it off a cliff.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Perfect timing. I just saw on FB a guy that waxed his trailer with this stuff. I haven’t heard of it either and if I can apply this to the gel cost on my trailer and it lasts for years, then I’m interested too.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5753 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
Have not tried ceramic yet, but this company always has good info:

https://www.autogeek.net/how-t...r-paint-coating.html

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 143 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I just had a poly-ceramic put on my truck last week. Much less money than full ceramic, and only a little more than the regular polymer system I had put on the previous 2 years (I'm getting 11 or 12 months out of it).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the OptiCoat ceramic coating applied to my vehicle. I love it for the ease of washing and for its scratch resistance, especially on the black paint. It stays looking clean longer. I ordered a Jeep Wrangler and will have that coated as well.

The coating is not permanent and needs occasional maintenance.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
There’s much better quality coatings out there than what the dealer will use. Find a reputable detailer.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
There’s much better quality coatings out there than what the dealer will use. Find a reputable detailer.

This is my thought also. Simonize has always been a mediocre detailing product in my experience. I hated using their waxes

A little research and I see this is just another dealer added profit center just like the paint sealants

I’d look for a detailer that uses , CQuartz, Gyeon, and a host of others if that’s the direction you want to go

I ceramic coat my vehicles simply as a protective coating from the high acidic rain from industry around me. I used Polish Angel on the Tacoma and will be using Kamikaze on my new vehicle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I've had my new vehicles professionally ceramic coated for the past 12 years. Not sure what products he uses each time but I trust him and the results have been outstanding. Most recently I tried a DIY ceramic on a 66 Mustang convertible I completely restored. I tried a Armor Shield from Avalon King. Went on easy and looks fantastic. After 6 months it still looks new but time will tell. The key is paint prep like all things.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Any type of ceramic coating is better than wax imo. What I do is clearbra the entire front end, partial roof, door cups, rockers below the doors and behind all 4 wheels. Then ceramic coat the entire thing. But I keep my vehicles long term and paint chips and rock chips drive me batshit. If you like to trade in every few years it isn't worth it, just do one of the ceramic coatings yourself and you can learn how to do it all yourself on youtube. Be advised, product choice is like guns or worse. Heavily opinionated in the car/truck circles.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post