SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traveling across Nevada: I-80 or US 50 (aka 'The Loneliest Highway')?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling across Nevada: I-80 or US 50 (aka 'The Loneliest Highway')? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I used to go to Carson City from San Francisco along US 50. It's freakin' beautiful along that stretch. I think we picked it up at about Auburn, CA and all the way to Carson. Of course, it's been a few years. OK, decades.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would take the longer US 50 route. I remember when half the adventure was getting there. Reading a road map, going through small towns, and enjoying long hours of solitude. Your kids might learn something.

I think a number of us will remember traveling before cars had air conditioning and in the absence of electronic devices. Driving through areas with no radio stations, and being told if we were bored to "look out the window".

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Gotta laugh, on our bike trip from Co,thru Green River and on to 50 I remember this small bush that had about 4 cows huddled around it for shade, then in the middle of nowhere was this white horse, road thru a dust devil,got caught in road construction in the middle of nowhere. Good thing we had Goldwings and a BMW K1200lt that had the range and we all carried water....I would do it again.

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I haven't driven it, yet. I have gone to Great Basin and also suggest you take the kids to the Lehman Caves, try to make reservations.

Here's a little story about Fallon, NV, I love these kinds of things. Be sure to go to the Maverick.

http://www.canyoncountryzephyr...ons-by-paul-vlachos/

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Probably spotty cell coverage, at best, if you get into trouble. That's what would concern me most.

Not picking on you or anything, but it amazes me how seemingly dependent we have become on these things.

I drove all over the lower 48 long before cell phones were around in POS vehicles far less reliable than those available today. Somehow I lived to remember it.

I say go for it. It is a desolate drive and there's a whole lot of nothing out there, but it is pretty in it's own way. You might consider doing it at night. More stars than you can imagine.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post