SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WI authorities reminding people not to eat "raw meat sandwiches"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WI authorities reminding people not to eat "raw meat sandwiches" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
While spending time pheasant hunting with friends from South Dakota one year we went to a firemans ball at the school. We were offered tiger meat sandwiches. Basically raw hamburger with lots of garlic on crackers. Nope. Sorry. No raw ground beef for us.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Okay, maybe it's because I've only lived here for less than 15 years, but I've never seen or heard of this practice.

Closest I've come to it, I suppose, is this Mexican dish a coworker's (he claimed to be an Azteca) wife made, called Carne Apache.
It was raw hamburger that was basically cooked using lime juice. It also had some onion, cilantro and garlic and a few other spices in it.
It was really good too! But I've asked some other Mexican coworkers about it, and they'd never heard of it.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they big Tequila drinkers? That stuff makes ya nuts!

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Okay, maybe it's because I've only lived here for less than 15 years, but I've never seen or heard of this practice.

Along with ice skating in the middle of the Mayfair Mall in 'Tosa, eating at the John Ernst Cafe, or the Schlitz Brewery, the raw beef sandwiches are probably before your time. Have you played sheepshead or had a Ponza Rotta at Jimmy's Grotto?

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
My old coordinator was from northern Wisconsin and she told us stories about her parents throwing parties where this was on the menu. She said everyone loved it and practically wolfed it down.

I had forgotten about it until this thread came up. Sounds horrible to me. I can't remember if she said she liked it or not.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 892 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good hygiene and fresh good meat, no problem.

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still widely and commonly eaten in Germany. Note that the large industrial ground beef in the US is not the German ground beef standards. If you are going to eat it raw....I do, frequently, best get it from the local butcher shop that has a good reputation.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
There's a scene in a 1950s movie where the young kid in encouraged to eat raw ground beef burgers. "He's a growing boy" ... Giant? Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great to hear about "tiger meat" !! I grew up in SoDak and if you knew the right people , they might give your family a small amount at Christmas time.
As kids , we fought over it. No one got very much. It was very tasty and I never heard of anyone getting sick from it. My Dad was a doc and he never seemed concerned and ate his share.
Now that I'm older , when I was reminiscing about "tiger meat" , I began to wonder if I had imagined the part about it being raw. Nice to know that I'm not completely senile !! Big Grin

Posts: 1274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Between good, properly handled raw beef and pickled herring I know which I'd eat in a heartbeat and it ain't the herring.

Herring are best used to chop down the tallest trees in the forest.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1965 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I ate my share of steak tartare when I lived in Stevens Point, washed down with Point Beer.
When the smelt were running,I’d schedule work in Manitowoc, Two Rivers, Sheboygan just anywhere along Lake Michigan.

Small world. My family is from Two Rivers and my Great Uncle owned a small bar called the Blue Goose.

I recall driving up there to visit the bar and pick up some smoked fish... they were delicious!

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Doesn't taste bad, but probably full of all the pathogens you imagine.

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Health officials won't have to worry about reminding me.
Or me. In fact, I don't eat meat that is even pink inside.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Only raw meat I eat is people, and they're usually still warm.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked my brother ( in SoDak) if he remembered Tiger meat. This is his response:

TIGER MEAT
FROM RANDOM RIFF-RAFF
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 small onion, diced
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 8 hours. Spread on crackers. Do not eat after 2 days.

Bought some recently in Aberdeen.

must be something about the spices that keeps ya from getting ill from it ..

2 days? wow!

I ate on my last bunch for 4 days ---- by then not a speck left. ;-)

It is NOT cheap.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post