SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vice Presidential succession question
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Vice Presidential succession question Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
It been a long time since high school civics, so forgive my ignorance.

PotatJoe has the Covid and it's the perfect excuse to roll him over and make the laughing Hyena prez. She appoints her favorite commie as VP.

Does the Senate have to approve her choice or can Hilary or "Kali Freedom" Newsom just roll into the slot?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20325 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Both houses of Congress would need to confirm her choice.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
25th Amendment, Section 2.

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Not much consolation, but better than none.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20325 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Will oddsmakers take bets on whether she can get through the swearing in ceremony without giggling or braying?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'll take braying...at any odds!

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

So, they need to do this before the changing of the Congress in January. If, by chance the power structure changes with the anticipated 'Red Wave', this would give the Republican's more say on who the new VP would be.

Joe needs to belly flop now so the new VP can be installed while the Dems are still in control. If that happens and it takes less than 2 weeks to get done, it will be very obvious it was a set up.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
See Gerald Ford and Nelson Rockefeller

If I were Kamela and became POTUS, I'd double my Secret Service detail until the new Veep was confirmed for fear of Pelosi Galore.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean Hillary

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
You mean Hillary

In the short term, Speaker of the House is next in line behind the VP.

Posts: 9545 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I really don’t want to even think of the VP being in charge. That shit scares me.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12655 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I expect the skids will be greased for the new VP before any announcement is made about Joe stepping down. Everyone with aspirations in DC is already scheming for whatever position or power they might grab. Discussions are happening and deals being made to lock it in rather than have a free-for-all.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I really don’t want to even think of the VP being in charge. That shit scares me.
Yes, after all, we have such a competent head of state right now.

Posts: 107724 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

So, they need to do this before the changing of the Congress in January. If, by chance the power structure changes with the anticipated 'Red Wave', this would give the Republican's more say on who the new VP would be.

Joe needs to belly flop now so the new VP can be installed while the Dems are still in control. If that happens and it takes less than 2 weeks to get done, it will be very obvious it was a set up.
The Demonrats are in a touch spot.

Quite a few had hopes of 25th amendmenting (is that a new verb?) Joe the Dumber soon after Jan 21, 2023, so the hoe had a shot at being pres for nearly 10 years. Their Utopian paradise was the hoe in the white house and controlling both houses of Congress.

However, Demonrats can't govern for shit and it's so bad that even oblivious people and partisan hacks are noticing. Now, they're faced with:
  • doing it (Section 4 of 25th amendment) now with control of both houses of Congress and the hoe only being eligible for one election
  • or waiting until after January 21st and trying to get consent on Section 4 of 25th amendment (2/3 of both house and 2/3 of senate) and the VP (50% consent house and 50% consent Senate) with likely an unfriendly Congress.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23314 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
    Gracie Allen is my
    personal savior!
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by rduckwor:
    Thank you. Not much consolation, but better than none.

Three considerations might help a little bit.

- There's only two years and a few months to the next election. Even if the new veep hit the ground running, that's not much time, and (absent a tie in the Senate) there's not much a new veep can really do.

- Even with the current Congress, the process would eat up time.

- To make it work smoothly, they'd have to make some concessions to congressweasels on both sides of the aisle - and then they'd have to figure out how to bring Manchin and Go-go Boots From Arizona on board.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
    Picture of 2BobTanner
    posted Hide Post
    OK, “Game Theory” time. The first 3 events must happen before the new Congress gets seated on 4 January 2023.

Kackles gets an offer she can’t refuse from the Dems and goes off to her fancy new home in whatever bolthole she wants.

Demento “nominates” Hillary. Nancy P and Chuckie S push through the vote, with the “usual suspects” in the Repub Party helping out.

Demento now throws in the towel with Dr Jill telling him it’s time for Jell-o Pudding, and off they go into retirement. Sonny-boy Hunter is thrown to the wolves, as he’s out-lived his usefulness now.

Hillary ascends to the Chair behind the Resolute Desk, but the now new Repub-controlled Congress refuses to confirm her VP pick. New Speaker of House (Republican) is next in line of Presidential Succession should there be no VP “if” a “what if” happens.

It’s Prez Hillary (the FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT) for the next 2 years.

2024 Dem Convention: Prez Hillary is again nominee (sitting President). VP Nominee is (wait for it…):

MICHELLE OBAMA.

The Dems now have the FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT, and the first ALL FEMALE President and VP ticket. Think of how the party apparatchiks in the propaganda media will go wild.

Low Information Voters swoon; and the Repubs will be hard-pressed to counter this.

Sounds like a “political thriller” movie lifted from a book plot line in the making.

---------------------
    LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2706 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
    Bodhisattva
    posted Hide Post
    2BobTanner-
    Hunter will get a full pardon on Joe's way out the door.

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    It seems to me that, should Biden resign and not have a succession plan in place for the VP, Harris would not select anyone who might be a threat to her chance for the democratic nomination for the presidency for the 2024 election. Newsome and H. Clinton both represent a threat to Harris’ chance at the nomination in 2024. Stacy Abrams might be the type of person Harris would be comfortable picking.

Silent

Posts: 1030 | Registered: February 02, 2008Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    During the confirmation process, would Kamala have the tie-breaking vote in the Senate? Just curious.

Posts: 17148 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
    Knows too little
    about too much
    Picture of rduckwor
    posted Hide Post
    There are so many bad possibilities for this country contained in the existing scenario that it boggles the mind.

Look for the names Newsom, Abrams and AOC in the coming months.

RMD