SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Possible new retirement location contender - what can you tell me about Tulsa OK area?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible new retirement location contender - what can you tell me about Tulsa OK area? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
In fact, Oklahoma has not had a single county go blue in the last 3 presidential elections. And that, my friends says it all! The only downside to Tulsa is that they have far too many Oklahoma State fans!!!

BOOMER!

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Tesla has picked Tulsa and Austin as finalists for a new assembly plant

link

DETROIT (AP) — Tesla has picked Austin, Texas, and Tulsa, Oklahoma, as finalists for its new U.S. assembly plant, a person briefed on the matter said Friday.

The person says company officials visited Tulsa in the past week and were shown two sites.

It wasn’t clear if there were any other finalists in the mix. The person, who didn’t want to be identified because the site selection process is secret, said no final decision has been made.

The new factory will be Tesla’s biggest so far. The electric car maker has said it wants the factory to be in the center of the country and closer to East Coast markets.

The stakes are high for state and local governments, which covet auto factories because they have a lot of workers and normally pay well, generating income and property taxes.

Tesla’s current U.S. vehicle assembly factory is in Fremont, California, which employs 10,000 workers. The company has a second U.S. factory in Reno, where it builds batteries for its vehicles and employs about 6,500 people. It also has a factory in Shanghai and another one under construction in Germany.

Companies typically use proposals from finalists to bargain for the best package of tax breaks, site investments and other incentives.

The new factory would build Tesla’s upcoming “Cybertruck” as well as be a second site to build the Model Y small SUV.

On the company’s earnings conference call in April, Musk said the site of the company’s third U.S. factory could be announced within a month. Musk calls his plants “Gigafactories.”

Earlier this week, Musk threatened to move manufacturing and Tesla’s headquarters out of California in a fight with San Francisco Bay Area health officials over whether the Fremont plant could reopen after being closed to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Musk defied an order to stay closed and the plant was running for two days before the Alameda County Public Health Department announced a settlement. The department said the plant could run above minimum basic operations this week and start producing vehicles this coming Monday, as long as it delivered on promised safety precautions for workers.

It would be difficult for Musk to move out of Fremont, though, because Tesla would have to take its only U.S. assembly plant offline for months while it moved heavy equipment to another location. It also would be hard to move the headquarters in Silicon Valley to another state because software engineers and other technical workers likely wouldn’t want to relocate and could find work elsewhere in the area

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Swing out to the greater SLC area brother. We have all four seasons and low humidity. We only hit 100 degrees two or three times a year. We get snow in the winter but our winters are actually pretty mild with most of the snow in the mountains.

Its a conservative state and as far as being a red state Utah and Oklahoma are a close first and second. Red rock deserts, green high altitude mountain areas and the greatest snow on earth are just some of our attributes.

Skiing, mountain biking, camping, flyfishing and 80% of the damn state is BLM so you literally have thousands of miles to get lost in if that is your thing.

Jackson hole, Boise and Sun Valley Idaho are just four or five hours away just to name a few of our options for a quick getaway.

Its hard to beat the life style we in the West get to enjoy. Just thought I would plug one of my favorite places on earth. Good luck in your search.

That's where I'm looking, OK is too featureless not to mention limited outdoor activities for me. Park City/Heber/Midway that whole area has a lot of positive. I need my mountains, a nearby int'l major airport and excellent individual rights laws, to include liberal firearm policies.

Well after checking Zillow for house listings, doesn’t look like SLC is Going to be in contention. That and Mittens, well just don’t think so...

SLC UT

$319K built 1950 3br 1 bath 1125sq’ on 8700sq’ lot

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...4119/12743837_zpid/?

Fort Gibson OK

$300K, built 2017 3br 3 bath 2360sq’ on 1.01 acre lot

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...434/2079900690_zpid/

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
911Boss, For someone who maybe spent many a year in the PNW I think you might be disappointed in some of what you are considering. Unless you have spent time in some of these places. Have you thought about the insect, critter and animal populations and types? Moving more than half way across the country. Many do not consider that. But one should. It is a big change.

I understand Wa. Can be frustrating politically. But he has a lot going for it. I have family there and a place myself. It is hard to beat on many fronts.
Weather, scenery, Proximity to water, mountains, ocean, river, recreation, culture, restaurants to name a few.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Well after checking Zillow for house listings, doesn’t look like SLC is Going to be in contention. That and Mittens, well just don’t think so...

Different strokes for different folks. I'm certainly not going to let one politician be the swaying issue for me; he exposed himself during the impeachment vote and that'll cement voter's views next election.

If you're set on OK, it fits within your budget, and the surrounding amenities work for you, then go for it. For us, we like a lot of natural features which contribute to our lifestyle (water sports, cycling, snow sports, hiking/backpacking/camping, etc), the weather extremes I'm not a fan of and I like some diversity when dining out. I don't plan on sitting around in my retirement, having a int'l airport nearby will satisfy any travel interests, not to mention the active community that surrounds the area.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Hey Boss - In the same boat - about an hour South of you - My time is shorter - 3 shifts left after 43 years in the FD. Strongly looking @ Idaho. Kids in Wa will keep us close 8-10 Hrs would work. Even if it is 10' over the boarder. Wa now is not the place I grew up in.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
For any interested in the museums I mentiioned in Claremore, here are some photos:
Will Rogers https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157665378149649/ (you can ignore the last 2 pictures of my cousin)
Davis Gun Museum https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157632945240822/

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
911Boss, For someone who maybe spent many a year in the PNW I think you might be disappointed in some of what you are considering. Unless you have spent time in some of these places. Have you thought about the insect, critter and animal populations and types? Moving more than half way across the country. Many do not consider that. But one should. It is a big change.

I understand Wa. Can be frustrating politically. But he has a lot going for it. I have family there and a place myself. It is hard to beat on many fronts.
Weather, scenery, Proximity to water, mountains, ocean, river, recreation, culture, restaurants to name a few.

Spent a little over a year in Millington TN it was totally flat and I hated it. Plenty of roaches, snakes, etc. I worries there. Spent 8 years in SoCal, no problems there. Had black widows, scorpions, etc in that area. Critters aren’t even on my list for concerns

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Different strokes for different folks. I'm certainly not going to let one politician be the swaying issue for me; he exposed himself during the impeachment vote and that'll cement voter's views next election.

If you're set on OK, it fits within your budget, and the surrounding amenities work for you, then go for it. For us, we like a lot of natural features which contribute to our lifestyle (water sports, cycling, snow sports, hiking/backpacking/camping, etc), the weather extremes I'm not a fan of and I like some diversity when dining out. I don't plan on sitting around in my retirement, having a int'l airport nearby will satisfy any travel interests, not to mention the active community that surrounds the area.

Mitt really isn’t an issue, I expect he will be gone. But if not, won’t be my problem. Very high importance is nice house at a good price and cost of living. Sorry, SLC just can’t compete in that area. We are mostly homebodies, maybe some cycling (road so flatish is good). Not much for snow sports, and we are both pretty simple folks when it comes to cuisine and entertainment. No plans for foreign travel, so international airport isn’t a big deal. We will be doing car, possibly RV, travel so OK or AR are a central location for that. Can head off in any direction and find some mething to see.

As long as there are foothills and forest, I am good. Don’t need full blown mountains. Some of the retirement plans are visiting national parks and will have freedom to go do road trips if I have a need for change of scenery.

Daughter and grandkids in Davenport IA, so will be a lot closer to them.

quote:
Originally posted by Mikus36:
Hey Boss - In the same boat - about an hour South of you - My time is shorter - 3 shifts left after 43 years in the FD. Strongly looking @ Idaho. Kids in Wa will keep us close 8-10 Hrs would work. Even if it is 10' over the boarder. Wa now is not the place I grew up in.

Congrats on surviving! I am hoping for early 2023, will see if this “crisis” delays that at all. I turn 60 in February 2023 and we are debt free except for mortgage. Things would have to get WAY bad to delay things, but just don’t know.

Post Falls ID is on the list, but my wife is concerned about the winters. Good home prices, albeit with smaller lots. Not looking for multiple acres, but would be nice to not hear or se the neighbors unless we are visiting.

I like the area, spent a lot of time in ID during my motorcycle days. Part of me says if we are clearing out, should go farther and be closer to the grandkids.

We also have a granddaughter locally, but visits are in the budget regardless.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
There are parts of OK that are very flat, but in NE OK we got plenty of hills. If you are a boater or fisherman, lots of nice lakes in this area.
This is lake Ft. Gibson

and about 30 miles away this is lake Tenkiller

Click on pic for full size

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you ask 225,000 people in Maricopa county ,Arizona , another 300,000 people In Florida and around 250,000 people in Texas, There is no "one" "best" place to retire.

They will tell you that AZ for the winter and Northern Ia for the summer is the way to go .

Or N.Y. in the summer an FL for the winter,
Or

AK for the summer and N.M. for the winter.

Just something to think about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma is nice. South of Tulsa.
100_2357.jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr
100_2274.jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr
100_2404.jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
i will take the big conifers in the PNW anytime all the time. That summer heat just sucks. I guess if you stay in with AC most of the time, then Ok I guess

Good luck boss.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i will take the big conifers in the PNW anytime all the time. That summer heat just sucks. I guess if you stay in with AC most of the time, then Ok I guess

Good luck boss.
I presume you like rain.

flashguy

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Rain and low humidity. Typically beautiful spring, summer and fall. Sure it does rain and both ends of summer. And winters can be grey and wet. But little pollution.
I do hate hot, weather. It is bad if hot and dry. Worse if hot and humid.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One big factor I’ve seen over the years with moving for retirement are connections to friends, family & familiarity.

My main experience has been MI, can list about 5+ relatives, singles or couples, that moved away then came back. Through work I met a guy who has older parents in Northern IL. They had plans for SC, but now with kid’s & grandkids, decided to tough it out in IL.

Now I’m not saying to stay put, strength of any ties varies with individuals & couples. Some need or want that ‘fresh start’.

Another idea is establishing residency somewhere then emulate the nomad lifestyle. My own 80+ year old Mom is in the Northern U.P. of MI. She’d be out of place anywhere else.

Just to reiterate, decisions & circumstances can vary widely. Just last Fall another relative moved to NC, a large part to be near adult children.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few threads of people wanting to move to Oklahoma lately. Don't yall know we are full lol! My favorite part of the State is the Arbuckle Mountain area about 45 minutes South of OKC.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
If I was forced to move from southern Indiana I'd look at central/eastern Ky, Knoxville and south in Tn and the Ga mountains of N Ga.

Chattanoga and Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City triangle would be good too, just don't cross the line into Virginia.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post