SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bank of America expanding it's left wing virtue signaling - will no longer do business with companies that run detention centers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bank of America expanding it's left wing virtue signaling - will no longer do business with companies that run detention centers Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26...=twCNN&utm_term=link

Bank of America will no longer do business with companies that run detention centers

Bank of America will end its association with companies that provide prisoner and immigrant detention services at both the state and federal levels. The move comes amid growing public concern about the nation's border policies.

A spokesperson said Wednesday that Bank of America (BAC) has discussed the issue with its clients that provide those services. While the bank appreciates "steps they have taken to properly execute their contractual and humanitarian responsibilities," it ultimately decided to "exit the relationships."

"Lacking further legal and policy clarity, and in recognition of the concerns of our employees and stakeholders in the communities we serve, it is our intention to exit these relationships," the spokesperson said.

The Miami Herald previously reported that Bank of America was a financier of Caliburn — which the newspaper said runs a facility called Homestead under a US government contract. The Herald said the bank provided a $380 million loan to the company and a $75 million credit line. The paper indicated Homestead is not a prison, but "protesters say it functions as one. The minors held inside are not allowed to leave."

Bank of America declined to comment Wednesday regarding the companies with which it had previously worked.

Private prisons have been in the spotlight. On Friday, Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren called for private correctional and detention facilities to be banned. Shares of private prison operators dropped following her remarks.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration has been criticized over conditions for migrant children at a Customs and Border Protection facility in Clint, Texas. On Monday, the Department of Health and Human Services said 250 migrant children who were held at that facility will be shifted into the agency's shelter system.
On Wednesday, employees of online furniture retailer Wayfair walked out from the company's headquarters in Boston in protest of the company selling furniture to a detention facility. Wayfair said it would donate $100,000 to the American Red Cross to help those in need at the border.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
There is a very serious divisiveness in this country, I don't see it getting better. unfortunately we've got another war coming.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
IIRC many years ago Bank of America said they would not follow the law and would let illegal aliens open accounts and bank with them regardless of the I.D. they had to open an account.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Glad I dumped them a few years ago.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Bank of Hating America is more like it.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Glad I dumped them a few years ago.

Tony.

I bet if you went with a locally owned bank or credit union you are getting all of the services you had with BofA, but with better customer service and local people to talk to, not some 800 number with a call center who knows where.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think of them more as "Bank of un-America."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s the beauty of companies getting into politics. Unless they are VERY specialized I can decide to go somewhere else.

I think people are actually starting to get pretty pissed off at EVERYTHING having to be political. Keep on pushing this mess stupid CEOs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I think of them more as "Bank of un-America."

Yeah! Big Grin
I won't use them. I don't even know who does.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23947 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
More extortion by liberals in corporate America. I hope their stock holders take note of their losses.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
BofA can kiss my sweaty ass

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Phooey on them.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I wish I had accounts there that I could close.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dropped them years ago when the tried to foreclose on my house, which I was 15 years ahead on by making principle payments. They finally settled by by just giving me the the title.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
There is a very serious divisiveness in this country, I don't see it getting better. unfortunately we've got another war coming.

Completely agree with this.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:

<sigh> Yeah, everybody keeps saying that, but more and more shit happens, and still, we just keep sucking it up...

Thats what’s gonna make it all the worse, when it does happen.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:

<sigh> Yeah, everybody keeps saying that, but more and more shit happens, and still, we just keep sucking it up...

There is always a tipping point. Business as usual will not last forever.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I wish I had accounts there that I could close.

You can accept their 0% interest credit card for 15 months . . . then pay it off and close the account.

After 20 years, my BofA HELOC draw period expires in a few weeks. They were hoping I'd extend it as an installment loan. Nope.

You only see big banks pulling stunts like this. A small, ten-branch local bank may have occasional online outages and less perks, but the manager knows I've been at that location since forever.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shitcanned them when they were gonna charge me for using a BOA debit card at a BOA ATM....

The local credit union got my business, and they got my mom n dads business also.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just got a Chase card, will dump B of A Alaska Visa; partly because we don't want to do business with B of UA.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post