SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disposable mask vs neck buff or whatever there called
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disposable mask vs neck buff or whatever there called Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Properly fitting, Certified N95's or higher which no one wears.

I'd agree. That's what we wear at the office. Despite being in the OSHA "Highest Risk" category, dental personnel have experienced infection rates well below the general population. Those that have been infected are more likely to have caught it outside the office.

Rags and t-shirts certainly aren't the answer.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
guys, lets not turn this into the virus is a hoax thread.

The reason I asked is that I see on TV a ton of people wearing the gaitor deals where they just pull it up or down as needed. Seem's pretty handy other than one of the chinese paper masks. Which I wonder if they are anymore effective than these gaitors. If they are not the gaitor seems a bit more handy.

So some here think they do nothing other than satisfy a mask required policy. Seem's a bit strange as so many use them. But maybe that is the case.

Again, not wanting to turn this into a mask/virus debate. I understand this topic is toxic.

No one wants to get it. Especially if in a higher rish category. So make you own decisions. We are just discussing gaitors and masks.

Btw Bamajeepster, I have not seen any coaches or players wearing that mask set up. Either football or baseball. But lots of gaitor type and paper type coverings.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Btw Bamajeepster, I have not seen any coaches or players wearing that mask set up. Either football or baseball. But lots of gaitor type and paper type coverings.

Here's some shots in action:

I got used to using the gaitor and the lightweight ones are pretty comfortable and easy access to pull up and down, but over any extended time I still felt uncomfortable breathing. The mask like in the pics is much better and much more comfortable to wear for long periods.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
guys, lets not turn this into the virus is a hoax thread.

The reason I asked is that I see on TV a ton of people wearing the gaitor deals where they just pull it up or down as needed. Seem's pretty handy other than one of the chinese paper masks. Which I wonder if they are anymore effective than these gaitors. If they are not the gaitor seems a bit more handy.

So some here think they do nothing other than satisfy a mask required policy. Seem's a bit strange as so many use them. But maybe that is the case.

Again, not wanting to turn this into a mask/virus debate. I understand this topic is toxic.

No one wants to get it. Especially if in a higher rish category. So make you own decisions. We are just discussing gaitors and masks.

See my original post which includes a link to a Duke University study about teh effectiveness of gaiters.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
craigcpa,that is a few months old and is not very convincing, to me anyways. But thanks.

I see Bama. But way more using other types than those using these. Not that this one is not more effective.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I hesitate to offer this information for fear of implying I've bought into this mask sham.

I've heard that the buffs are worse than a mask. Say you sneeze without a mask, the water droplets are bigger and will fall to the ground quicker than if you sneezed through a buff, which would aerosolize the droplets into the air and therefore be even more contagious. Something like that. Then again, with a buff, you get the benefit of being warm and placating--so you don't have to deal with--the whack jobs.

I've held out this long without spending one penny on a mask and I am very stubborn about this. I received two from my employer and another couple free ones.

I'll add that I'm wearing a mask when I have to (which is mainly work - in my position I don't have an option) and I have no illusions that it offers any protection whatsoever in either preventing me from getting or spreading the virus (if I were to have it). Therefore, my only objective is comfort - I can't/won't wear the standard masks that are out there all day and struggle to breathe.

Therefore, that's why my 2 go to's are the Mission lightweight summer neck gaitor and more recently the Shema97 functional mask I linked to earlier.

I have the mission and while I like it, it is way too long. That is why I like to get these cheap ones and cut them in half into 2 and then I have all the convenience of a gaiter, but not a hot neck. They easily go up and down.

https://safishing.com/shop/buy...iters/#configuration

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the study that said gaiters weren't as effective as masks for blocking "germs" was discredited.

https://www.scientificamerican...gaiters-got-started/ 

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Found these quite interesting. Numerous listing on Amazon and elsewhere for this brand (GoLov.eJoy) with lots of reviews that can be sanity checked with ReviewMeta.com and the like.

Appears to be the best price:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089NJC7TK/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre cancer I was bald and a runner. Come to think of it I’m still bald, yet I digress. Buffs (gaiter) are very good for runners. They kept me head from getting sunburned and dip them in water or as they get sweaty they are pretty effective at cooling you off. They are very convenient “masks”. They probably aren’t effective but neither is my 2 month old paper one that is in my car.

I like the buff for administrative mask purposes. If I was a dental hygienist, then not so much. A box of cereal or picking up my burrito, a buff it is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
NH ski areas are requiring face coverings in buildings, lift lines and riding lifts with strangers (if you choose to) and gaiters count. Looks like I'm good with the neck gaiter I usually wear anyway.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Don’t own one. Haven’t worn one. Mask or gaiter

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Never paid too much attention to who was wearing what but because this thread has been on my mind I took a look at what folks were wearing in the oncology waiting room this afternoon.

Seating was spread out much wider than 6 feet. And of course you ran the gauntlet getting in with temp reading and a battery of questions. Most all the folks were in the 40+ age group with the majority retirees.

Ladies were wearing decorative cloth masks or plain old cheap disposables. Most of the men wore disposables but a few sported solid color (some with logos). Only one old man had a neck gaiter which was brightly multi-colored. Noticed him adjusting it to ensure it was far enough up on his nose several time.

Me? Solid colored cloth face mask I was gifted that's a tad too small given my beard. Made my glasses fog up and was somewhat hot and uncomfortable breathing. First time using it rather than a disposable. Still weighing options.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Properly fitting, Certified N95's or higher which no one wears.

This. I see plenty of people wearing Chinese-made KN-95s, but I don't trust those (I doubt their earloop design creates enough of a seal to be effective).

I doubt you could even find real NIOSH-certified N-95, N-99, etc masks for sale right now. Heck, we're still reusing single-use industrial N-95s multiple times for surgery at my hospital.

...and if you did find some, you would need to be professionally fit-tested to see if they even work on you (there's a reason 3M has multiple shapes and sizes of N-95 mask... and the worst part, you have to be clean-shaven for them to work.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
After talking to my youngest son (42 yo) again who wears a neck gaiter at work and really likes it compared to any mask he has tried, and a lot of reading research online, I placed an order for this 16.5" x 11" cooling gaiter (by comparison the Mission is 21" x 10"):

Not what my son has (his is a GruntStyle American Reaper gaiter https://www.gruntstyle.com/col...s/lifestyle/facemask ).
But this should do the trick for me as I'm required to wear a mask for medical / dental appointments, etc. and this will meet their requirements despite it not really being effective by anyone's measure.
The flat adjustment cord vs other models with small round cords should prove much more comfortable; and the size should easily accommodate my bearded melon. With this cooling fabric, unlike cotton, I'll be able to breath and not get heated as well.
I also like the blue-gray vs plain black, heather gray, white, or some wild print. Big Grin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FRHPHSB/

USN (RET), COTEP #192