SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Laptop in carry on, international flights?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laptop in carry on, international flights? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Been ages since my last international flight, propellers were still in fashion and jets were in development Big Grin.

Wonder if I can take my 17 inch laptop and use it on board and while in transit or must I ship it as luggage?

0-0

Posts: 12142 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Carry-on. You may never see it again if it goes in checked luggage.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On board, but you'll have to put it into airplane mode. You may or may not have power at your seat.

Speaking of power, last time I knew it any lithium battery had to go in carry on, not checked.

Need any backpack advice?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2110034444

Posts: 15911 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Counting on bringing my 3day backpack as carry on.

Lay over a couple of hours in Lima, Peru. Headed to the People's Republic of Cuba Libre. Forgive me brothers, for I'm about to sin. Wife loves the place.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12142 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Learned this the hard way. At Heathrow, the sign says “laptops” must be removed for screening. In the US, tablets (iPads) do not need to be removed from carry-on bag for screening—only “laptops.”

Turns out, the Brits consider an iPad a laptop. I was directed into the line for further screening and a search of my carry-on.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
You're overdue for some peace and quiet. Hope you and your wife have a great time!

I'd check the size/weight restrictions on carryons for both airplanes. It can be a major pain to get halfway and find the final leg's plane won't fit your carryon and they make you gate-check, especially if you have fragile stuff in the carryon.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My carry on is my 3 day backpack. Believe it's a standard size in gallon or whatever measure you gringos use Wink Us civilized people use metrics and litres. Big Grin
Content are just the laptop, PSU and cables + emergency undies and T shirts for a SHTF situation. Nothing else I can think of.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

posted Hide Post
Carry-on absolutely, particularly int'l.

17" that's a big one. If you're going on vacation, leave it at home, why bring the extra weight and hassle. If it gets damaged or, worse, it won't be much of a vacation, I can understand if it's your only device with movies or, you need to do some work. Otherwise, I'd leave it at home and disconnect. Enjoy your time away.

Posts: 14693 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Headed to the People's Republic of Cuba Libre. Forgive me brothers, for I'm about to sin. Wife loves the place.

0-0

Nothing wrong with that. We have been looking at taking a cruise there.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you need the laptop for business use, take a tablet. Lot easier to transport, and it won't be in the way as much.

Posts: 475 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Have you confirmed that where you are staying has internet and at a reasonable price?

Lima can be tough on electronics, if you have the receipt for your purchase of the laptop, or other electronics, take a copy.

Check for the same in Cuba.

If your staying in a hotel confirm they have secured storage.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
In the US, tablets (iPads) do not need to be removed from carry-on bag for screening—only “laptops.”

This is no longer true. Now they demand separate screening for anything bigger than a cellphone.

This has been very clearly stated both verbally and in TSA checkpoint signage every time I have flown for months.

On two occasions in the last few months, my wife forgot her iPad mini was in her bag and they pulled her bag and ran it back through the X-ray machine and I forgot my daughter's Nintendo 3DS Gameboy was in my bag and they pulled it out and ran it back through the X-ray machine.

This has been on at least 8 flights through a total of four or five different airports.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
In the US, tablets (iPads) do not need to be removed from carry-on bag for screening—only “laptops.”

This is no longer true. Now they demand separate screening for anything bigger than a cellphone.

This has been very clearly stated both verbally and in TSA checkpoint signage every time I have flown for months.

On two occasions in the last few months, my wife forgot her iPad mini was in her bag and they pulled her bag and ran it back through the X-ray machine and I forgot my daughter's Nintendo 3DS Gameboy was in my bag and they pulled it out and ran it back through the X-ray machine.

This has been on at least 8 flights through a total of four or five different airports.

OK, thanks

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Does Precheck help with this? I thought children were covered by a parent's Precheck.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Argentina have pre-check?

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post