SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automatic watch for us poors
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automatic watch for us poors Login/Join 
posted
Would some of the more knowledgeable here please chime in on a watch I’m thinking of for my 60th next March, specific experience all the better. Tell me about the quality of the movement and can it hold its value (will go to my son on my death).
Shinola’s Bronze monster. Currently runs around $1500.
Let’s hear it guys and thanks

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I scored a Ball Chronograph watch with 66 tubes filled with tritium for $1500 from Jomashop during one of their sales. As far as autos with illumination as bright as a cellphone go it’s pretty hard to beat a deal like that. Their watches are very well made and use high quality Swiss auto movements. You can get a dang good Ball watch for $1500 or less if you shop around a bit.

I really like Christopher Ward’s automatic watches. Their customer service is arguably the best in the biz and their designs are pretty neat.

Seiko, Helm & Zelos are also brands that I adore with exquisite automatic watches in their lineup.

A personalized Christopher Ward (they offer engraving for $40 for some of their watches) would be my choice. Their transparent/tinted sapphire dials are incredible. This company is one that I would definitely consider for a future family heirloom. It’s a UK based brand and they are doing some very exciting things. Their in-house movement (SH-21) is a true joy to experience although it is a rather steep cost of admission. I consider Christopher Ward’s higher end stuff to be better than Omega, especially when you consider the quality of your interaction with the company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
In that kind of price range, I think you definitely want to at least take a look at Sinn. Especially if it's going to be an heirloom.

https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/home.asp

I've read and heard mixed stuff about Shinola. Mostly along the lines of them being really expensive for what you're getting. Sinn is kind of the other way, you get a helluva lot for your money.

If you're really wanting a bronze diver, I could suggest Glycine. Nearly the same size, same exact movement, less cash. Much thinner. Wears really well being that thin. I've had a Glycine Combat Sub on my wrist every day for a year and a half. I love it, despite this particular one losing more time than I'd like, but that's an automatic watch thing.

https://us.gnomonwatches.com/p...gmt-brown-ref-gl0316

Posts: 17191 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sinn would also be my choice in the $1500 range. I like the 104 and the 556.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
You really need to get in touch with Dave Truong. He can help you find the right watch for a good price.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Go see Dave,
Go see Dave,
Go see Dave - and his dog Spot. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Grand Seiko.

As an aside, "Heirloom" is a wonderful idea. Watches being jewelry tend to have stylistic changes over time, and only the most classic designs remain popular.

Case in point, a lot of digitals from the late 70's are collectible but not the popular look that remains in the center of horology.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

I’ll echo the sentiment made already … contact Dave!

I’ve developed a new love of analog Gshock watches. Do they have anything that speaks to you?

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
If interested in a dive style check out the afore mentioned Ball, I have a Spacemaster Hydrocarbon and love it, slightly outside that range however. Sinn very nice for certain. My daily wears are both around 1k and are a Marathon GSAR and a Doxa Sub 200. Plenty available in your price range.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I like this Seiko in your price range:

Link

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
For my style, I would go with either Ball or Hamilton.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Sinns keep getting more expensive, but are still a huge bang for the buck. I've owned three and sold my last one, but only because my Rolex is my main one these days. You don't see too many folks in the US wearing Sinns, but they're popular in Germany. Very, very cool watches and several models have proprietary technologies you won't find anywhere else.

Posts: 3548 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Sooo, are you saying $1500.00 gets you the entry level 'poor mans' automatic watch? If so, damn... Eek

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8934 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
$1500 gets you a great auto, not an entry level. I’ve assembled plenty of “entry level” custom/modified 300m automatic divers for $300-500. Modifying and assembling watches from the rapidly growing aftermarket is easily as addictive as building AR15s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Eco-Drive Citizens that I paid around 100 to 150 bucks for. Seem like great watches. I guess they are automatic. Is an automatic a watch with a mechanical movement?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Unless you are set on that one, I would explore other options. I got an Oris Aquis for under that price new and absolutely love it.

Shinola seems to still be trying to establish itself.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I would get a pre-owned Omega, Breitling, Ball, Tudor, and probably TAG before the Shinola. All of which can be found under $2000. Or a new Hamilton.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Before buying, remember the movement will need service in 5-7 years. I acquired a Submariner in ‘97, and at the time a full service was $350 at my local AD. Now, it’s 3 times that. I have an Omega SMP Chrono purchased new in 2013 for $2365.00. It’s currently in need of service, and that one will run about $850 at Nesbits in SF, or a third of the original purchase price. Can I get it done cheaper, perhaps. But, trusting them with the work and the watch is a different issue. With cheap automatics you generally replace the movement, but often it’s cheaper to just buy a new watch. I love automatics with interesting complications, but it seems like I always have one that needs to go in.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Can definitely recommend the Sinn and Glycine. Wearing a Glycine Combat Auto now. Fortis B42 Cosmonauts are the stuff of dreams and legends. I have one of those as well. Can find great deals out there on Revue Thommen as well. All fine Swiss watches except for the German Sinn. Very happy with a Gevril Yorkville I bought at a substantial discount from Jomashop. Nice Tudor sort of homage.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My opinion only, is that Shinola is not an heirloom watch. You can do far better with $1500. And in that range, discounts are common on MSRP, so you can look a bit higher.

I like some of the suggestions already made. Ball, Oris, Sinn. I assume you want new, and not pre-owned for this. But pre-owned opens up a lot of options.

Laco, and Squale also make some super cool stuff available in that range. (long island watch link below).

The Sin 556 (colored releases) are a new offering in LE which has the potential in the long run to appreciate some. Lots of fun colors too. (watchbuys link)

https://www.watchbuys.com/stor...h-Collection-c76.htm

https://longislandwatch.com/wa...e=600&max_price=1800

If I were you (assuming ~$1700 isn't too far out of line) I might go with this one. It isn't pretending to be a Rolex. It enjoys it's own design language. Day and date and bracelet. Great brand. I like the dial color, but black dial may be more timeless. There are several variation options on the 104.

https://www.watchbuys.com/stor...Bracelet-67p6171.htm

Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post