SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Real estate prices
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real estate prices Login/Join 
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i bought my house in 1994 a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath colonial 5.25 acres corner lot 120,000 the last i checked i could ask 270,000 but i could hold out for privacy seekers nobody can build next to me

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Crazy is right.

I bought for 500K 17 years ago.

Now I’m sitting on a $1 million plus.

No land and no yard hardly.

Bay Area is nuts.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3485 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Can you do an addition to your current house (either out or up)? You'd likely get your money back in added equity, if not more.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Since we got back from a FL vacation over Thanksgiving my wife and I have been heavily discussing our options. It was kind of eye-opening to see what you can get compared to metro Denver. Our house has more than doubled since we bought it ~13 years ago, but most of those gains have come in the last 3-5 years. The first 5-7 years it stayed pretty much the same value. We could basically sell and buy a modest place outright in a lot of locations out of state or more remote. Our property tax runs 0.8-1% locally, but the increases have been 30%+ the last two appraisal cycles.

It nice to have equity but it also sucks because to get another bedroom upstairs, another bath and maybe a small room (so appx 600-700 sqft total) and it would be 200k more than we could sell our place for. It's nuts, even small cape cod style homes in the 900-1000 sq ft range are going for right around 350-400k in my neighborhood. My buddy was looking here and bought in Aurora because he couldn't even find something under 500k that he would consider. And of the homes he did find he lost out on several all-cash offers. I don't blame him though.

I don't particularly feel like our house is worth what it is, but that's the way the market sees it. Kind of leaves one feeling bewildered.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zimman20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
The numbers just don't add up. If average income in the US is $70k and let's even go high and say $75 - $80, even if both people are working that doesn't add up to affording a $500k house. Plus two car payments at $500 - $700 a month.

Who is affording these places?

That’s my question. And rent prices are the same.

I work in Plaza Midwood/Villa Heights/NODA, for those familiar. We are not required to live in the city, but my kids live an hour north of Charlotte with their mom and my wife works off Westinghouse, so I’m in a hard spot as far as moving.

Currently I have an unbelievable residental situation. But eventually we will want to buy. When we moved from the beach I sold my house (got bent over on that) and she kept hers, renting it out long-term.

We occasionally look around. My MIL is a local realtor. We would be most interested in the Gaston County area probably, but we’re waiting at least another year. We have an unbelievable deal where we rent now near 77/485 on the north side of town.

But the prices are insane. We’re hoping for some kind of downturn before we buy. I want to do 20% down on a 15 year mortgage. Ain’t no way in hell were doing that on a $500,000 house.

Lincoln County, Chongo. I'm about 15 miles up the road from Charlotte via Rte 16. County taxes only and they are cheap, by any means of comparison - I"m in a 5 BR, 3.5 bath home with a sunroom, living room, family room, kitchen on about .4 acres. I've been living here for going on 12 years and my property taxes are between 1800-2000/yr and have been for all that time.

We're near Denver in a town called Lowesville, a development called the Gates. We bought at around $300k in 2006 and with the down in 2006-10 and the rebound now - from what I understand I'm back to about $300k if I wanted to sell tomorrow as far as values. You can spend more in the Denver area but you don't have to, is my point....

We're on the Charlotte side of the 16/73 intersection and in the morning it takes me about 20 mins to get to Charlotte if I have to go into the office.

My understanding of Gaston County taxes is that they're significantly higher. Hope that helps! Cool

--------------------------------------------------------------
zman

P229 SAS
Sig 1911 STX

Posts: 936 | Location: Stanley, NC | Registered: September 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
I'm a realtor in la working with investors and am an investor as well. Market is softening just a bit but it's still high.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Three family house. I had five comps putting the value in the range of $800K. They did two appraisals that came back around $640K. The appraisals were utter garbage. For instance, my building was 3x 2 bed/2 bath units. Some of their comps were all 1 bed / 1 bath. My assumption, and my lawyer agreed with me, is that they just didn't want to lend as much as I wanted, and told the aprraisers to lowball it. Also, I originally wanted 75% LTV, and the pushed it down to 70%, then just rounded it down even more. If I hadn't has as much money into the process as I had, I would have walked away and started over. There were several points where I was very tempted anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by rocket72:
quote:
Are they? I tried to get a commercial mortgage recently, and got run through the mill and lowballed on the LTV. I'm not seeing it.

When you say lowballed on LTV, what LTV did they want and what kind of property is it?

Oh that's an IRE (Investment Real Estate) deal. Those are kinda tough to get done. Sounds like the bank may have been giving some weight to the debt yield (NOI divided by a figure of ~12%) in determining value. Value opinions aren't as loose as they used to be.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
The numbers just don't add up. If average income in the US is $70k and let's even go high and say $75 - $80, even if both people are working that doesn't add up to affording a $500k house. Plus two car payments at $500 - $700 a month.

Who has two $500-700 / mo car payments? Moreover, why? I'd far prefer to have a couple of older rides and pay more on a house, which unlike a car, can actually be an investment.

Yeah, the average AGI is right at $70K, but the average for people filing Married filing jointly is $118K. Again, thats just averages and depends greatly on location.

Also an eye opener that your chosen occupation directly affects how much you will make. Sorry but school teachers, LEOs, and first responders make not a lot of money, compared to DRs, lawyers, and other professions.

Two people with AGI of $118K, married jointly average. $500K mortgage is $3200/mo, or $38K / year. Yeah that's a lot but if you aren't swallowing $12-18K/year for new shiny cars, it isn't hard.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Who is affording these places
People who bought their first home in the 70's when the average cost was under $200K and who have rolled their appreciated equity upwards over the decades.
What if you were just born in 70s? Wink

posted Hide Post
Bay Area is insane. I’m a lender in San Francisco and tiny condos are well over $1mm. I live in a nice town in the east bay and thank god we bought 10 years ago. I couldn’t afford to buy even my own house today. The 2 houses immediately next to me have traded in the last 6 months, similar to mine and both 1200-1300 sq ft or so and well over 725k. So their taxes start at almost double mine and I’m sure their mortgages are quite a bit more as well. The problem with selling and cashing out is I have to live somewhere. Even if I traded up and had the same debt load, I’ll be goddamned if I’m gonna lay 2x or more in taxes than I do now. I have clients in sf with multi million dollar Homes paying $60-100k a year just property taxes. Thank god for prop 13 in California. I hope I can inherit my parents house some day and pay their $800 a YEAR in taxes on a free and clear house. They bought in 1970.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Who has two $500-700 / mo car payments? Moreover, why? I'd far prefer to have a couple of older rides and pay more on a house, which unlike a car, can actually be an investment.

Yeah, the average AGI is right at $70K, but the average for people filing Married filing jointly is $118K. Again, thats just averages and depends greatly on location.

Also an eye opener that your chosen occupation directly affects how much you will make. Sorry but school teachers, LEOs, and first responders make not a lot of money, compared to DRs, lawyers, and other professions.

Two people with AGI of $118K, married jointly average. $500K mortgage is $3200/mo, or $38K / year. Yeah that's a lot but if you aren't swallowing $12-18K/year for new shiny cars, it isn't hard.

Factor in health insurance, easily $12,000 a year, water/sewer/cable/internet/gas/power/insurance/escrow...I can’t understand how $118k can do it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Factor in health insurance, easily $12,000 a year, water/sewer/cable/internet/gas/power/insurance/escrow...I can’t understand how $118k can do it.
Responsible financial planning.

I had a $520K house at age 31 making $100K / year. We had made $120k on a previous house and put 10% down, covered closing costs, fees.

Key was we didn't have car payments and zero credit card debt. We didn't eat out every day, budgeted expenses, spent when it made sense and when it didn't, we stayed home with the kids.

It's all about choices.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Responsible financial planning.

I had a $520K house at age 31 making $100K / year. We had made $120k on a previous house and put 10% down, covered closing costs, fees.

Key was we didn't have car payments and zero credit card debt. We didn't eat out every day, budgeted expenses, spent when it made sense and when it didn't, we stayed home with the kids.

It's all about choices.

Making $120k on your first house certainly didn’t hurt. I lost 15k on my first house.

I have no credit card debt, the wife has a little, and we both have car payments on <$20,000 vehicles (after driving our last two for 13 years each). My loan will be paid off in half the financed time. Planning isn’t the issue, as much as not wanting to spend that much money every month. I’d rather put it towards our retirement. I’ve got about 18 years left and then it’s off to our beach house, which will be paid off by then.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
The problem with selling and cashing out is I have to live somewhere.

Not a problem; simply move out of state for a better life Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
We are still renting in San Diego only because the inventory is so low, haven't found anything we really like in this very desirable area. So we've watched prices increase about 10% in the last year.
This area of SD (Scripps Ranch) only fell about 10% in the Great Recession.

Houses are very high. Come up north 10 more miles in 4S and the new Del Sur and houses are in the mid one mils. I'm in RB and prices are high.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
The problem with selling and cashing out is I have to live somewhere.

Not a problem; simply move out of state for a better life Wink

I hear ya, and that would be ideal, but not as easy as it sounds of course. Good job and career making good money etc. but it’s getting close. Another round of f’d Up gun and tax laws and that may the straw that breaks my back.

I think the real problem in CA may be the public pension situation in California. The promises made to a lot of good people are mathematically unsustainable. Unlike the Fed Gov the state can’t print money. In the next 10-20 years maybe sooner it could get reallly ugly.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Thirsty Beaver over in Plaza Midwood? An apt building was built around it since they refused to sell.

That is hilarious. I don't think I have ever seen anything like that. I wonder if the snooty apartment dwellers will make that their new watering hole?

So the place is run by two brothers I think.

That's right - two brothers. Really down to earth people. Nothing pretentious about those two.

Check out their band, Loose Lugnuts, if you get a chance. They are fun to watch.

The brothers also own the Tipsy Burro across from Lupies on Monroe, and a place in NoDa called the Rat's Nest (vintage clothes that don't suck! Smile).

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ain't nothing here for that.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'd at least shop the work around to see what it would cost you.

If you want to stay in the area, need the space, and can afford the work, I don't think you can hurt yourself. Very likely the added equity would be well more than the cost of the job. You essentially by buying wholesale, and if you sell, selling for retail.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
quote:
Can you do an addition to your current house (either out or up)? ...

Yeah, good question. We could do either but I’m a bit concerned about the stagnant wage growth slowing things here. We’re adding folks, it’s record low unemployment but wages are stalling and costs are increasing fast. I feel like something has to give.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good job and career making good money etc. but it’s getting close. Another round of f’d Up gun and tax laws and that may the straw that breaks my back... In the next 10-20 years maybe sooner it could get reallly ugly.

Might want to take off the zeros from your numbers above.

Once Gavin Newsom becomes Governor starting Jan 2019, 100% expect new draconian gun laws. And of course expect new tax scams, including taxing miles driven, a repeal of Prop 13, etc. etc. CA will go even more to the left, nothing will stop it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Same here in Texas, northeast Fort Worth area. Values where holding pretty steady, increasing moderately each year in line with the general COL but the last 4-5 years they have skyrocketed. Our house has increased so much we looked into selling and maybe moving to a smaller place with a smaller yard, but it works both ways. Sell at a nice profit, then pay through the ass for a new place. We still may do that this spring or summer.

I don't know how kids starting out can get into a decent house when what was considered a "starter house" now goes over $200,000 and might need a lot of upgrading.

I’m on the other side of the metro and it’s worse, much worse. Between the Californian and Indian (dot not feathers) invasions, I don’t know how people can afford to buy. I literally could not afford my house if I was buying today. I’m pretty much stuck until retirement now. Because like you said, if you sell, you’ll be prison raped on a new to you purchase, complete with eBay like bidding wars. No thanks. County raised my property value 60k in one year. Fought it hard and it was still a 40k increase. Shit is crazy.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post