SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Forces Deployed to Eastern Europe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Forces Deployed to Eastern Europe Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
SOURCE: FoxNews.com: Biden sending additional 3,000 US troops to NATO's eastern flank, officials say

Three thousand U.S. troops are set to be deployed to NATO's eastern flank, a U.S. senior defense official tells Fox News.

"At the President’s direction and following Secretary Austin’s recommendation, the Department of Defense will reposition certain Europe-based units further east, forward deploy additional U.S.-based units to Europe, and maintain the heightened state of readiness of response forces to meet these commitments," added a senior Biden administration official.

"These forces are not going to fight in Ukraine. They are not permanent moves. They respond to current conditions," that official added.

This is in addition to the 8,500 we have ready to deploy to defend Ukraine.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Wow 11,500 US troops against 100,000 Russians. What exactly is the objective here? Ukraine is not a member of NATO, no one is obliged by treaty to defend them. The only deterrence is this: invade Ukraine and your forces will be stopped with a tactical nuke. We are not bluffing, so do not try to call our hand. The Russians would have believed Ronald Reagan, or perhaps Trump if either said that. Biden? No way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

This quote has been running through my head the past week or so as I watch this puppet Biden have his strings yanked by faceless warmongers trying to wag the dog. God help us all if a shooting war broke out in Europe over Ukraine Frown

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Putin playing hidden-bidden for the tool he is …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Wow 11,500 US troops against 100,000 Russians. What exactly is the objective here? Ukraine is not a member of NATO, no one is obliged by treaty to defend them. The only deterrence is this: invade Ukraine and your forces will be stopped with a tactical nuke. We are not bluffing, so do not try to call our hand. The Russians would have believed Ronald Reagan, or perhaps Trump if either said that. Biden? No way.
Let's also not forget the piece that everyone in the media seems to be avoiding, not all of NATO is in agreement on this position with Putin. Biden is dragging the US out on a limb by itself for absolutely nothing. This doddering retard is screwing the US at every turn.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biden is a dangerous man, he’s a nut with the code. There may be stop gaps, still the guy is bonkers.

“Elections have consequences.” BHO
You know you stole it.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I saw the news about 3,000 and wondered why so few. Then came here and saw there was already 8.5k. Still - how is that supposed to be enough to matter ?

I would hope there are other countries supplying troops as well - and that the total numbers add up to more than a squishy spot under Russia's tank treads.

Either go big and truly keep Ukraine safe - or don't bother sending our boys in harms way. I don't think there should be much middle ground.

Although; non-NATO makes this all much more tricky I suppose.

Silly me, I kindof thought our world was stable now and we were done with countries trying to expand their geography. I know the big boys like to push and shove, but thought it was mostly economic at this point - not actually growing the boundaries of your empire. History shows that rarely works out well for those who attempt it...(in the long run at least.)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one seems to understand that Putin is the problem, not Biden. In fact Biden is being weaker than he should. Comments show a complete lack of understanding & knowledge of the situation. Reports in underground Russian media is that 50% of the equipment on the border is in disrepair. Also most of the Russian military are 18 to 20 year olds, poorly trained from small villages. The border areas are more like Canada & US with Ukrainians & Russians living on both sides. The current Ukrainian area controlled by Putin once supplied most of the construction workers in the Rostov Region. Our media has said that Ukrainian rebels are fighting for control. These "rebels" are Chechen & Russian mercenaries led by Russian special forces from the Southern Military Command based in Roston-na-Donu. I must stop writing now as I can say too much & endanger others.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4274 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Biden is a dangerous man, he’s a nut with the code.

Inside of Biden's football...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43906 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Either go big and truly keep Ukraine safe - or don't bother sending our boys in harms way. I don't think there should be much middle ground.
There is no 'ground' to discuss there at all. We have zero business messing in this at all and its asinine Biden has sent any American troops there.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no 'ground' to discuss there at all. We have zero business messing in this at all and its asinine Biden has sent any American troops there.

Putin has exerted influence in Austria, Belarus, Venzuela, Serbia, Germany & other counties. When is he going to be stopped?

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4274 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

Putin has exerted influence in Austria, Belarus, Venzuela, Serbia & other counties. When is he going to be stopped?
When NATO as a whole and those countries in specific step up and opt to act. Short of that, the US needs to stay clear of this BS. While China poses the biggest threat to the US, we fully ignore that country while focusing on Putin running his jaws about a totally worthless piece of dirt most US politicians couldn't find on a map. This is the definition of stupid and irresponsible.

posted Hide Post
quote:
worthless piece of dirt most US politicians couldn't find on a map

2 Sig Forum members & 2 of my clients have immediate family living in that worthless piece of dirt.
https://www.google.com/maps/pl....2357137!4d39.701505

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
There are only a few U.S. troops in Ukraine. A good guess is they are doing training on systems we have provided and perhaps some planning level support.

The latest deployment of 3000 U.S. troops is to NATO countries - Poland, Germany, and Romania. We have a small number of troops in Poland and Romania at any given time, and a larger number (and military significant infrastructure) in Germany. We have rotated Brigade-level units into NATO countries in Eastern Europe for exercises in the past.

The current deployment could be looked at as a political signal to Putin that we are not going to cut away from our NATO allies. His recent demands are that we not let Ukraine into NATO (which was not on the verge of happening) but also that we stop work on the missile defense system in the forward area and stop conducting exercises or moving troops into NATO countries on the Eastern side of NATO.

The missile defense system, not mentioned much by the Press these days, is the real thorn in Putin's side. Everyone knows that NATO is in no position to invade Russia on the ground.

It is unlikely we would send combat units to Ukraine to fend off a Russian invasion. We have no mutual defense treaty with the Ukraine and they are not in NATO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RoverSig,

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 Sig Forum members & 2 of my clients have immediate family living in that worthless piece of dirt.
https://www.google.com/maps/pl....2357137!4d39.701505

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My cousin is Ukranian as was my Uncle. Read a little Ukranian history and see what these people have been through. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Putin playing hidden-bidden for the tool he is …

In honor of the series Succession on HBO, we just call him Raisin now. As in "what in the fuck is the Raisin doing now?"

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12644 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
All my Ukrainian friends say they are Russian …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
All my Ukrainian friends say they are Russian …

A guy I worked with is from Ukraine. He says he's Russian.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brush up on your history of the Ukraine. Most speak Ukranian, some Russian, Moldavian etc. Ask your friend how he feels about Joe Stalin, Chernobyl and the Nazis. Then you will know for sure.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny how the media is ignoring the Budapest Agreement signed by Bill Clinton in 1994.

The Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances refers to three identical political agreements signed at the OSCE conference in Budapest, Hungary on 5 December 1994 to provide security assurances by its signatories relating to the accession of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. The memorandum was originally signed by three nuclear powers: the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom, and the United States. China and France gave somewhat weaker individual assurances in separate documents.[1]

The memorandum included security assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan.

As a result, between 1994 and 1996, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons. Until then, Ukraine had the world's third-largest nuclear weapons stockpile,[2][3] of which Ukraine had physical, but not operational, control. Russia alone controlled the codes needed to operate the nuclear weapons[4][5] via Russian-controlled electronic Permissive Action Links and the Russian command and control system.[4][5]

In 2009, Russia and the United States released a joint statement that the memorandum's security assurances would still be respected after the expiration of the START Treaty.[6]

After the annexation of Crimea by Russia in 2014, Canada,[7] France, Germany, Italy, Japan,[8] the UK[9] and US[10][11] stated that Russian involvement was a breach of its Budapest Memorandum obligations to Ukraine which had been transmitted to the United Nations under the signature of Sergei Lavrov and others,[12] and in violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity. On 4 March 2014, the Russian president Vladimir Putin replied to a question on the violation of the Budapest Memorandum, describing the current Ukrainian situation as a revolution: "a new state arises, but with this state and in respect to this state, we have not signed any obligatory documents."[13] Russia stated that it had never been under obligation to "force any part of Ukraine's civilian population to stay in Ukraine against its will." Russia tried to suggest that the US was in violation of the Budapest Memorandum and described the Euromaidan as a US-instigated coup.[14]...

More text:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Security_Assurances

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post