SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Coffee Maker recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Coffee Maker recommendation Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
It seems every few months someone asks for recommendations of a new coffee maker. Technivorm Moccamaster seems to be the best choice. I agree.

Here is an interesting video I think you’ll like. Its very current info, video is 3 days old. I like the other info she provides. I like the other 2 choices.

LINK TO VIDEO

Posts: 11868 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Interesting

Posts: 13820 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I watched the video. And I’ll stick with my Nespresso Pixie, which I’ve used for more than ten years. I usually make lungos (an espresso with a bit more water run through the ground coffee). Different strokes for different folks, but that’s mine.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9017 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Long-term, satisfied Technivorm owner here.

I bought my Dad the 8 cup Technivorm thermal carafe model for father's day '11, and liked it so much that I bought myself one in '12 with my tax refund. The only "flaw" was the 8 cup was a little small when company was visiting so I bought myself the 10 cup thermal carafe.

When I bought my Dad his Technivorm we did a taste test against his Mr Coffee using the same coffee. The Technivorm extracted much more flavor from the coffee. Didn’t have a thermometer handy but the Technivorm was definitely warmer which is why one reason it had a SCA certification and the Mr Coffee didn’t.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23336 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
DAMN YOU GUYS!!! Guess I’ll be spending more Merry Christmas to me holiday bucks! Razz Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or have your own barista in the kitchen and get a Jura

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

By far, one of the best push button espresso I have ever had. While it’s not going to pull shots like a $10k La Marzocco, it really made an incredible impression on me. I’m a very experienced barista, and it made a damn fine push button cup.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Bought a refurb Moccamaster. They are spendy, but holy crap they make good coffee.

Posts: 11366 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

By far, one of the best push button espresso I have ever had. While it’s not going to pull shots like a $10k La Marzocco, it really made an incredible impression on me. I’m a very experienced barista, and it made a damn fine push button cup.

My brother introduced me to his machine. I stalked the refurb site for months and caught a giga 6 mispriced late night and immediately ordered. When I woke up the pricing was fixed. They still sent me the machine $2500 less than normal refurb price. Running flawless still. I’m over 4000 drinks on the counter

The Technivorm and mazzer super jolly don’t get used much but still sit alongside

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Have had the Moccamaster for around 8 years and it works very well. Can’t stand the carafe thou. Theres a brewing insert you need to make coffee, when its done you remove it and screw the cap on to keep the coffee hot. That cap is a royal pain in the a$$ to screw on, usually multiple attempts to line up the grooves. Otherwise we like it

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me. My coffee maker recently crapped out and I've been looking for a new one. Who knew I needed a $300 coffee maker? I bought the Moccamaster Grand coffee maker, 60 oz.

Moccamaster 60 ounce

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I like the Keurigs and my K-cup with beans I grind.

I'm simple that way.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a mini Mr Coffee. I think I paid 19.00 for it at Wal-Mart a couple years ago. I have a Keurig machine but find the pods too expensive..

Posts: 766 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
You guys are killing me. My coffee maker recently crapped out and I've been looking for a new one. Who knew I needed a $300 coffee maker? I bought the Moccamaster Grand coffee maker, 60 oz.

This is the one I have as well.
Actually, I am on my second one. The first one had a switch fail after 5 years or so. I did not want to wait for parts, so I ordered up a new one and have the old one sitting in the closest as a project.

I would buy another one if this one wore out.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We bought a Moccamaster too, but the Zogirushi it replaced did not just quit working, so we were able to wait for “Prime Days” on Amazon and saved…30%, 40%?, I don’t remember. It was significant, and as is being pointed out repeatedly, this is an expensive coffee machine.

Posts: 13310 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
10 yrs w a mochamaster

Popped in to see what I was missing … jura?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
10 yrs w a mochamaster

Seems to be a little more expensive than the Mochamaster. Eek

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
10 yrs w a mochamaster

Seems to be a little more expensive than the Mochamaster. Eek

Yeah … {looking down, kicking rocks} … I just spent my new espresso maker $$$ on a new custom ‘68 paisley telecaster build with a luthier in Maine. Started talking yesterday…

Jeez …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've only ever heard positive things about the Mochamaster machines, and have seriously considered getting one many times. But it's hard for me to justify a several hundred dollar coffee machine when I only drink 2-3 cups a day, so I'll just stick with my French press & Aeropress.

I'm sure the machine is much more convenient, but I seriously doubt it can make a better cup of coffee than the presses.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
I've only ever heard positive things about the Mochamaster machines, and have seriously considered getting one many times. But it's hard for me to justify a several hundred dollar coffee machine when I only drink 2-3 cups a day, so I'll just stick with my French press & Aeropress.

I'm sure the machine is much more convenient, but I seriously doubt it can make a better cup of coffee than the presses.

Ditto that^. I'm a 1 liter french-press every morning guy myself.

I've looked at their site many times... Now if one of those "Refurb" models were every actually in stock... I would probably drop 2 bills on that mini 1 cup model.

Posts: 508 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post