SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Coffee Maker recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Coffee Maker recommendation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yikes. A 6000 dollar coffee maker? Makes me glad that the Navy turned me into a very non discriminating coffee whore.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10944 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
ETA: I just realized I had already posted that I bought the Moccamaster, although I hadn't received it yet. Been using it for 5 days now and it makes a great cup of coffee!

SIG Forum has cost me money yet again. Our Hamilton Beach coffee maker was on its last leg and I've been looking for a new one. Based on this thread I bought a Moccamaster CDT grand. It's in their Cafe/Office brewer line.

It's a 15 cup machine. My wife and I both drink coffee and the 12 cup was just slightly too small sometimes. I would usually have to make 1 K-Cup for my last cup of the day. With the 15 cup Moccamaster capacity I haven't used the Keurig since I got the Moccamaster.

$325 was a little more than I wanted to spend, cry once, buy once. I think we were getting 2 years out of the Hamilton Beach coffee makers.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’ve had my technivorm mochamaster for 10 years now. Runs as good now as it did then. Money well spent.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yikes. A 6000 dollar coffee maker? Makes me glad that the Navy turned me into a very non discriminating coffee whore.

Same thing the Army did with me, except for my preference for 100% Kona whole bean coffee.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Question for the Moccamaster folks:

I’ve been using the same machine for years and love LOVE it. I flip the switch back/forth for full or half pot…but I’ve never really thought about what the difference the switch offers?

I tested it the other day with a full carafe of water and on half-pot, the machine still used all of the water, so it does not affect quantity of water.

What’s the switch for?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12352 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Question for the Moccamaster folks:

I’ve been using the same machine for years and love LOVE it. I flip the switch back/forth for full or half pot…but I’ve never really thought about what the difference the switch offers?

What’s the switch for?

The switch is for the hotpad under the pot high 185F / low 175F if I recall

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
The switch is for the hotpad under the pot high 185F / low 175F if I recall

That actually makes a lot of sense, what a great machine!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12352 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
After having the Café Americano in the Czech Republic and Poland my Keurig just wasn't cutting it anymore. We bought this Breville after a recommendation from a friend who has had theirs for 10 years. The Smokin' Hot Wife has been wanting an Espresso machine anyway

It's actually a lot quicker and easier to use than the Keurig using your own coffee and not the pods, which is what we did. DID, the Keurig is packed away now

I'm still experimenting with different coffees but it makes amazing Espressos that I use to make the Americano coffee

https://www.breville.com/us/en...40.html?sku=BES840XL

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably a bit off topic but applicable. The price of a good coffee machine is easy to justify if you often pick one up at the drive through on the way to work. To wit, I am an espresso junkie and would pull into the local Charbucks and grab a shot or a cappuccino to go. $4-$6 most every day. I had a seven day a week job so minimum of $20 each week but usually more. In that context at least $1000 per year. When I retired I wanted to be able to have an espresso without going out in the morning so I ordered a Bosco Sorrento espresso machine. And a very good grinder. so I invested about $5000. I have been making much better espresso than I could purchase from any shop in town and can do so at my convenience. Of course there is the cost of coffee beans which I have not figured in but when I consider the quality improvement and convenience it makes no matter. So my feeling is that a quality machine whether espresso or brew type will pay for itself in time. In may case about 5 years but I have been brewing this ambrosia for 8 years now so am well ahead of the curve.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2897 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I also have a Breville. Mine is the Barista Touch. On sale at the moment
Very happy and it makes great coffee, including Latte , Cappucino etc.

https://www.breville.com/us/en...l?sku=BES880BSS1BUS1

quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
After having the Café Americano in the Czech Republic and Poland my Keurig just wasn't cutting it anymore. We bought this Breville after a recommendation from a friend who has had theirs for 10 years. The Smokin' Hot Wife has been wanting an Espresso machine anyway

It's actually a lot quicker and easier to use than the Keurig using your own coffee and not the pods, which is what we did. DID, the Keurig is packed away now

I'm still experimenting with different coffees but it makes amazing Espressos that I use to make the Americano

Posts: 833 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That was a great video. Thanks for posting.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38729 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I just don’t drink enough coffee to go with a Technivorm as much as I would love to.

I drink at most, 2 cups a day, maybe 5 days a week so I lean towards the Keurig but with better coffee, ground as needed in a reusable k-cup.

I recently replaced a Keurig that crapped out for a Ninja Dualbrew XL ($160 at Costco). It lets you do K-cups at 6/8/10/12 oz settings, travel mug with grounds and filter at 15/18 oz settings, or carafe settings at 28/40/52/60 oz.

My Thermoworks Thermapen Mk4 says the brewed coffee drains into the cup at 195 degrees, so I am guessing it is right around 200 when it comes out of the nozzle and hits the grounds.

Has a built in frother too, if you are into that sort of thing.

https://www.costco.com/ninja-x...oduct.100970544.html

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10963 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post