SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The silver lining of a flat tire on vacation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The silver lining of a flat tire on vacation. Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted
So, I'm on a mini vacation with my wife, in Niagara Falls, on the Canadian side. Got up yesterday and started to head out for the traditional Tim Horton's breakfast, when I hear that unmistakeable fluckata-fluckata sound of a flat tire.
Sure enough, passenger rear is down on the sidewall. So, I get to unload all of her junk from the back cargo area into the back seat, figure out the scissor jack un-stowing process, and swap the relatively new Michelin for the doughnut spare. It is, of course, about 85 degrees and 95% humidity at this point, so I'm sweating like a pig. Fortunately, it starts to rain as I'm mounting the spare, so that helps cool me off a bit. NOT.
While I'm outside the car cursing the guy who lost the roofing nail now embedded in the tread of the tire, my wife is sitting in the car, cool and dry, working her iPad. I get in the car after repairs are complete, and she informs me that we can go to Costco to have it repaired. Only 12 miles from where we are.
Off we go, in the rain, on the QEW, trying to keep the speed under 50 like the doughnut says to. I finally get there, get the car in the queue for repair, and mosey into the store. Since I never got brunch, first stop is the food court, where to my surprise and delight, I see that they have not only the polish sausage/soda deal for a buck fifty... they also have poutine!
I had forgotten how much better the polish sausage is vs the all beef dog. Had two to celebrate.
Sometimes, its the little things in life that make it bearable. That el cheapo lunch completely changed my attitude for the rest of the day.

My wife is a stickler for following the rules, so its possible we may go back tomorrow to have the lug nuts retorqued. If that happens, I might have to buy a few packs of the sausages and hold a karma.
Stay tuned...

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Glad your misfortune turned out to have a good side benefit.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tight lug nuts are as important as good nutrition. Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Is the polish not standard at your local Costco? I just thought every location offered both.

Posts: 5074 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm happy for you that you have a great attitude. I should try that sometime. I try but not my normal way.

What do you mean stickler for the rules and you'd have to return to get the lugs retorqued?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19682 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Take two polish sausages and call me in the morning. Works every time. ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Is the polish not standard at your local Costco? I just thought every location offered both.

Haven't seen the Polish at any of the Costcos I have gone to in several years.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's Poutine?

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
What's Poutine?

Ohh man...

French fries with cheese curds on them smothered in gravy. A Canuck staple. Quick, go out and find some. You might die tomorrow and miss out.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Beat me to it.

Never mind the sausage, load up on the poutine!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There ya go Motor, making lemonade outta lemons>

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I like ur positivity. The flat tire saved you from an awful wreck. Thats the way i look at it.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
What do you mean stickler for the rules and you'd have to return to get the lugs retorqued?

Basic auto maintenance/repair rule is that once a wheel is mounted, after X miles, you check or re-torque the lug nuts/bolts. It’s a safeguard to make sure the threads grabbed properly and everything is still seated correctly after the wheel has been operating under full load.

Hardly anyone actually does this.

I do.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned the lug nut lesson the hard way when I first got my dl. My drivers side rear wheel passed me after driving over a slight dip in an intersection. This was a day after getting new tires mounted. Scary and costly, but thankfully the only damage was to my vehicle and my ego.

Gives a new meaning to the term “walk of shame” as you roll your wheel a few hundred yards down the side of the road to your car sitting on the hub.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
my wife is sitting in the car, cool and dry, working her iPad.

Should have been outside watching for traffic. Eek

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
great story

Polish has been in every Costco I've been in Ore/Wa/Idaho;

gonna look for some 'poutine'

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
quote:

Haven't seen the Polish at any of the Costcos I have gone to in several years.

Interesting. They offer both at Costco’s up here in the PNW.

Posts: 5074 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Totally agree. No extra weight on the jack while the vehicle is suspended...
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
my wife is sitting in the car, cool and dry, working her iPad.

Should have been outside watching for traffic. Eek

Posts: 13815 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not any more at the Costco location near my house in Altamonte Springs FL. The sausage sandwich offerings here are the $1.50 quarter pound all beef hot dog with refillable soft drink, or the $2.69 Italian sausage with peppers and onions. Both are good. But no more Polish sausage. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
What's Poutine?

Ohh man...

French fries with cheese curds on them smothered in gravy. A Canuck staple. Quick, go out and find some. You might die tomorrow and miss out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mmmmmmmmmm.......... Not too hard to make at home. Just make sure you get proper cheese curds. Regular cheese won't cut it.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post