SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thank you Mr IRS man
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank you Mr IRS man Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I was finished checking the 1040SR return to see 1) it was math correct 2) how did it agree with the online tax program. Wrapped it up and was ready to do the state return when we get another IRS notice.

"Because our refund to you was so late last year, we're paying interest on it and now you get to do your taxes over again." We did not receive that before Jan 31st, for which there is a law (frequently flouted.)

Roll Eyes

Oh well it's just refiguring the interest earned form which probably won't trigger anything, but jeez.

At least we didn't send ours in yet. I'm betting somebody here did - and it could trigger a delay. That's the kind of thing we had last year, a difference of opinion over "clear language" where Uncle Sam says "you're never right, embrace the suck."

Grrr.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"Just log into www.irs.gov" - lot's of information there - NOT!!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Or call, they're very helpful

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
We did not receive that before Jan 31st, for which there is a law (frequently flouted.)

The IRS requires most tax documents to be mailed out by 1/31. (They don't have to be received by 1/31.)

And some tax documents have an even later required mailing date, such as 2/15.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hardly much with interest rates the way they are.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I remember a few years back the .Gov was still looking for experienced Cobol programmers as some of their legacy systems were over 25 years old.

Yet humans still have to physically handle returns.

You'd think there would be a way to clean that up and reduce fraud at the same time. I can think of one.

No income tax.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Or call, they're very helpful

I received a letter claiming I received the second stimulus payment (last year). After spending the weekend looking through mine and my wife's account for with a direct deposit or a cashed check for the amount, I called the number provided - twice.

Both times I called (58 minutes on hold the first time 1h 10m the second, i was transferred to another line. It went like this:

Ring, Ring. [automated recording] All agents are busy. Please call back later.[/automated recording] Click

No option to wait or provide a call back number. Just the disconnection

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We received our federal refund for last year, just a month ago - direct deposited on 1/3/22. It included a little bit of interest. We have already filed our 2021 taxes last week, but didn't adjust anything, since the last refund posted THIS year. Does this mean that we're ok, and will just need to include the interest income next year when we file?

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just let them catch it in audit. They will spend much more looking than they will get and you will know your audit was professionally checked.

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As above. Filing an amended return invites scrutiny with small amounts of money.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they know how much we owe, why can't they just tell us how much we need to pay and do away with the need for preparing our own documents only to be told we missed something or a new document becomes unearthed?

Alas, that's about as likely as cutting wasteful spending and enabling us to keep more of our money.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filed 2020 tax return last March and received my refund today with about 2.5% interest (assuming they made no changes to my math). Checked the IRS website periodically to see if any status on that return showed up and never got any info. Didn’t want to waste my time calling so I never did. It was looking like I would be filing my 2021 return before getting last year’s refund but at least today’s deposit eliminated that possibility.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then you get to pay tax on the interest earned.

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Then you get to pay tax on the interest earned.

True, but I won’t be worrying about that until next year.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Interest is minimal. Penalties are not. For example not taking the full Required Minimum Distribution is a 50% penalty.