SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weber Grill Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weber Grill Advice Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
Hi all.

I'm going to buy a new Weber propane grill in the next day or so.

I understand the Spirit line is not as good as the Genesis line.

There are a number of clearance sales, after Labor Day, around here and I've found a little bit better price for a Genesis.

What I am seeing is Genesis II grills, not Genesis.

I'm not going to get the physically large size grill due to my somewhat limited space on my back patio, so I figured a 2 or 3 burner would be just fine for me.

So anyway, any advice for me? Suggestions, recommendations, etc. Thanks.

Posts: 11855 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have experienced with the spirit line but I received a 20 yo Genesis from a coworker that was getting a new one. All I did was replace the flavor bars and burners. I used it a few years and gave it away to a friend who got divorced and needed a grill. That was probably 10 years ago and it’s still going strong for her. I would not hesitate to buy a Genesis gas grill it was solid.

Posts: 964 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Probably not the advice you’re looking for, but get a Traeger or a Recteq.

You’ll be enlightened to a whole new world of grilling, flavor, amazement.

I have four different grills. Weber kettle, Weber genesis, recteq, and a black stone.

The black stone gets used once in a while. The recteq, constantly.

The webers… never used. Seriously, I need to sell those damn real estate whores.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4028 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

real estate whores.

Lol made me laugh. Thanks.

Posts: 11855 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Agree with Beans. We’ve had 2 pellet grills and love the flavor they infuse into the meat. We cooked a 3 pound Tri Tip today on our Yoder 640. Took 4 hours at 180° to get the roast to 140°. It was wonderful.

We had a Green Mountain Daniel Boone before we bought the Yoder.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I have the Weber Spirit II E-310 and love it! It can get up to roughly 600 degrees and does great for steaks, burgers, etc. Email me if you have any questions.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have two Green Mountain Grills.

The Jim Bowie is used at the city house and the Daniel Boone is at the lake house.

Smoked meat is better than BBQING.

That’s my two cents worth.

If space is an issue check out the Davy Crockett.

Pellet grill will open up a whole new world to you.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3487 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
I think I have the Genesis E-325, a three burner with sear function. It has as side burner on the right and a aluminum side table on the left. It’s 12 years old and still looks new. I’ve been very happy with it.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I think you get a bit more for your money with Napoleon. I love my Prestige. But the Rogue series is nice.

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us...e-xt-525-rxt525pss-1

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
First Weber Grill thread EVER where half of the posts suggest getting something else... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a spirit II. I also have an extra bottle of propane (look at estate sales or moving sales-you can get half full bottles for $10-$15)
Also, buy a stack of the aluminum trays that catch the grease. They’re cheap enough. Don’t wait till it’s at the top before you try and replace it.

Got mine for Father’s Day a few years ago. I do everything except steaks on it. Steaks go on charcoal.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
First Weber Grill thread EVER where half of the posts suggest getting something else... Razz

They went up in price this last year. The 2 burner Spirit my dad paid $350 for two summers ago is now $500. The lowest priced Genesis is now $1,000. Even the kettle grills have gone up. The 22” Master Touch I bought last Thanksgiving is now $275. I don’t remember what I paid for it, but I think it was around $225.

I have 2 Weber gas grills, 4 Weber kettles and 1 smoker. As much as I like them, I’m not sure the value is there at the current prices.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Count me in. I've had a couple of Webers and they worked well, but no better than any other grill I've ever used. Basically a propane grill is a propane grill and I've yet to see one that has any significant advantage over any other other than the amount of burners.

My last was a Char Broil. Bought it for under $200.00, used it for around 12 years. Decided I needed 4 burners and not 3 but had no problems at all with it. The guy who picked it up for free was tickled pink.

Now I'm using a NexGrill, paid just under $200.00 with it being on sale for $40.00 off plus my 10% military discount and it works very well also.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Perfectly happy with my Weber kettle. Smile

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Try to find a good looking Genesis on Craigslist or Marketplace. The weak point with Weber and Napoleons is the cart. It's still just a painted steel cart. It's also probably the most cost prohibitive item to replace. Everything else can be replaced free from Weber or by a small cost. The cart is pretty pricey though.

I have Rec Tec pellet smoker/grill. While I love it and use it often, it's no replacement for the convenience and quick cook of a good propane grill.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
Try to find a good looking Genesis on Craigslist or Marketplace. The weak point with Weber and Napoleons is the cart. It's still just a painted steel cart. It's also probably the most cost prohibitive item to replace. Everything else can be replaced free from Weber or by a small cost. The cart is pretty pricey though.

I have Rec Tec pellet smoker/grill. While I love it and use it often, it's no replacement for the convenience and quick cook of a good propane grill.

True enough, my Genesis was still cooking as the lower cabinet fell apart, rusted out bits, door falling off from hinge rusting, and it was covered, we just get a lot of rain and rebound water hitting the cabinet.

JMO it should hold up better, cheaper to buy a new grill than the replacement parts to keep the cabinet together.

Outside of that it performed well.

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampdog:
I think I have the Genesis E-325, a three burner with sear function. It has as side burner on the right and a aluminum side table on the left. It’s 12 years old and still looks new. I’ve been very happy with it.

That's the model I have, configured for natural gas which really adds to the convenience. 11 years old on mine, and it's use 4 or so days a week. Basically if it can be done on a grill, that's where it goes. I've even got a griddle that works great on top of the grate. I've replaced the grate twice and the flavorizers once, and one ignitor. That's it for replacement parts. I keep it covered with an oem fabric cover and there's no rust, looks and cooks great. With a few parts preplaced down the line I don't see why this grill won't go another 10-15 more years. I'll be gone before the grill is.

That said it is a gas grill and suffers the limitations of that system. Charcoal kettle, Green Egg, pellet grills and the sort will ultimately provide more versatility, but along with that comes more work and clean up. You just don't walk out, turn a burner on and start cooking which is the beauty of the gas grill.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have a really high-end pellet grill, and I like it a lot and use it all the time, but depending on what you want to do with it, a pellet grill might or might not be the best choice.

If you’re mainly cooking steaks, I’d skip the pellet grill.

A “normal” pellet grill doesn’t do direct heat or get hot enough to cook a steak the way I want it cooked.

If you get one with a “direct heat door” in the heat deflector (or just remove the heat deflector completely, which is a bit of a pain but doable), a pellet grill will do a great job cooking a steak with super hot direct heat - over a small fraction of the grill surface that will handle two steaks at a time.

There are some super-expensive units that try to improve on this in different ways (and more that just stick a gas grill on the side), but if high direct heat is the priority, I think a pellet grill is the wrong choice. Gas if you want easy or charcoal if you want a little smoke.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Count me in. I've had a couple of Webers and they worked well, but no better than any other grill I've ever used. Basically a propane grill is a propane grill and I've yet to see one that has any significant advantage over any other other than the amount of burners.

My last was a Char Broil. Bought it for under $200.00, used it for around 12 years. Decided I needed 4 burners and not 3 but had no problems at all with it. The guy who picked it up for free was tickled pink.

Now I'm using a NexGrill, paid just under $200.00 with it being on sale for $40.00 off plus my 10% military discount and it works very well also.

You live somewhere so dry they literally bring airplanes there from all over the country to park them where they won’t rust. Razz

For the rest of us, most of the cheap grills will be a rusty pile of trash in 2-3 years while a Weber will still be fine in 10 years.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a Genesis 2, I have the E-310

About to change the flavorizer bars after five years, in perfect shape other than that. It lives outside under a vinyl cover. I also have a pellet grill for smoking. This is the time of year HD and Lowes will be putting them on sale

Posts: 5334 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have had the same grill (set up for natural gas) for 15 years without a lick of trouble. DO get the stainless steel cooking grate.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 235 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post