SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating a change in vehicles: The Mazda CX-90 PHEV…I pulled the trigger after all
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating a change in vehicles: The Mazda CX-90 PHEV…I pulled the trigger after all Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
OK so I’ve been telling everyone I was going to keep my 2018 Accord 2.0 Touring until it dropped. But in fact my wife prefers a higher vehicle to get in and out and of course see over the lowly sedans; and we now have grandkids and I dream of taking the on a camping trip.
I’ve been looking at the new 3-row SUV’s: Honda Pilot, Toyota Grand Highlander, Kia Telluride and the Mazda CX-90.
I wonder if anyone here is shopping in this market and if you have driven a CX-90, particularly the PHEV version.
Despite being made in Japan, if I lease I get $7500 “cash” toward the lease which brings it down to a very reasonable monthly payment.
Ordinarily wouldn’t lease; but today’s vehicles are probably transitional to something better so wouldn’t plan on keeping it forever.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Not exactly, it’s been a while since I owned the 626 but I’m still a Mazda fan. The son owns a Mazda car currently, no problems.

I think any of the vehicles you listed could be a winner.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Not exactly, it’s been a while since I owned the 626 but I’m still a Mazda fan.

I'll echo this. I had two of them. Smile

And I don't mean this as a slight to American auto workers, but it's my perception that Japan-built vehicles hold up better. (That's based on empirical evidence in my garage.)

Honda and Toyota are definitely worth considering, but I'd buy the Mazda over the Kia any day.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Demuro recently reviewed the CX-90. I have not watched his video but have generally liked his reviews. He refers to the CX-90 as "shockingly luxurious" in the title.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
We went through this in 2020 soon after the start of the pandemic when our old Accord died. We looked at the Pilot, the Highlander, the CX-9 (we tested the mid version but were pursuing the Signature model) and the Volvo XC90. All were gently used (supposedly!) 2017 models.

The Pilot was a Honda, comfortable, reliable, and stodgy. The Highlander felt similar to the Pilot but my wife liked it a bit more because it wasn’t a Honda (5 Hondas in our most recent history between us and one of our daughters).

We really liked the Mazda, though the driver’s cockpit felt a little smaller than the others, and there was a little less room in the back, too. I’m 5’-7 so the driver’s seat and legroom weren’t too bad but it would be noticeable for someone taller or broader. I liked the pep that the Honda and Toyota lacked and it felt like a higher level of fit, finish, and safety features than the other two. I would have purchased it and, I believe, really liked it.

My wife chose the 2017 Volvo though for room, comfort, and safety features despite a lower level of mechanical and electrical reliability and higher repair cost. It’s been a very comfortable and safe vehicle over the 60k miles we’ve driven it but it has been to the shop for a number of issues. Knowing its expected reliability from Consumer Reports, we purchased the Volvo extended warranty and it’s paid for itself almost twice over.

Good luck with your choice.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What is your concern about it being a “Japan built” model? If anything, it’s going to hold up even better and have a better build quality.

I have a daily driver 2012 Mazda5 which was built there as was all of that model and at 165,000 miles it’s holding up really well. Planning on hitting 200,000 miles before I even think about getting rid of it.

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I have yet to drive a Mazda that wasn't fun to drive. I also like that this one is rear biased all wheel drive and the electronics inside just work. If they ever make a 2 row version of it, it's going to be hard to pass it up for a BMW X3 or Mercedes GLC.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have not been too impressed in the past with Mazda's administration of their warranties. They have always struck me as very miserly with their judgments. What kind of rep does the dealer's service dept have? A good one will have some effectiveness at fighting with Mazda warranty administration on your behalf.

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 CX-9 with 130,000 miles or so on it that has been mostly trouble free. I believe outside of normal maintenance, I've replaced the air flow sensor (after having it towed), and the brakes.

While having the brakes done the other day we took one of the new CX-90s out for a test drive. The car was nice, but I'm not sold on everything being hybrid.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honda Pilot...stodgy?!!!

I love mine, but I'm possibly I'm a bit stodgy myself. I want a vehicle I can easily get in and get out of so wide, high doors are a necessity. An SUV, but not too big, like a Chevy Suburban, nor too small, like a Kia Soul.

One that is reliable and starts when I want it to but doesn't stop till I am ready to do just that.

For me, that means Japanese. I've owned a lot of vehicles, Fords, Chevys, VWs, a Chrysler (yuck!), and one Olds and a Jeep. None of them were, IMO, very reliable.

But the Japanese vehicles, Datsuns (now Nissans), Toyotas, Mazdas and Hondas have all proven to be vehicles I could trust.

I need one that I can haul "stuff" in. And one that has the technology I seem to have grown used to. Power mirrors, auto transmission, power seats, power rear hatch, rear seats that fold flat plus heated seats and steering wheel (yeah, I live in Florida, but when it gets down to the 50s, 40s or God forbid, the 30s, I get COLD!). And a radio that includes a CD player 'cause I like books on CD and has Pandora for my music.

For this stodgy old guy, the Pilot fills my needs.

For my wife, her Mazda CX-5 is perfect. But she's not stodgy.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
This popped up in my news feed today

https://www.caranddriver.com/r...der-comparison-test/

C&D put the CX90 1st out of 5
Mazda CX90
Toyota Grand Highlander
Kia Telluride
Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Honda Pilot

Having only a tiny bit of seat time in the GC & none in the others, I'd be inclined to put them in that order as well if I were shopping, just based on what I've read on them.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
While having the brakes done the other day we took one of the new CX-90s out for a test drive. The car was nice, but I'm not sold on everything being hybrid.

It's not. You can get the SUV with just the Inline 6 or Inline 6 w/hybrid. Even if the battery goes bad in 10 years, it won't harm the Inline 6.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Bob,

After having so many Hondas in a row, I think “stodgy” was my wife’s complaint to avoid having another one. Personally, I liked the Pilot and would have expected it to be a good, comfortable, and reliable vehicle, but it was her primary vehicle so neither my thoughts nor Consumer Report’s’ reliability ratings were as important as what she wanted!

ST

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not. You can get the SUV with just the Inline 6 or Inline 6 w/hybrid.

They're all hybrid, just a matter of degree. They call the non-plug in models "mild hybrids" which use a 48v generator/motor. The PHEV the OP is referring to is a plug in, full hybrid.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We, actually my wife has had two CX 9s and enjoyed them both. The only reason we sold the first one was to puchase the second one. My brother was an engineer at Mazda and got us a great deal on executive cars.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm planning to go to a dealer on Wednesday to look at the CX-90.

Looking at YT reviews (anybody can get on YT as a car "expert" these days), people whose opinion seems trustworthy (e.g. engineers) really like the CX-90, and usually report they are pleasantly surprised at the driving characteristics of the PHEV, even in comparison with the inline 6 engine for which the car was designed.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Zoom Zoom Cool

About a year ago I traded an 04 Corvette convertible for a 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring, planning to sell the CX-9. I like driving it so much I kept it.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
We test drive a plug in hybrid CX-90. We really enjoyed it and would have bought it but went with a Lexus instead.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned 3 Mazdas and they have been great cars. One caution, their paint chips very, very easily. If I drive and roads with gravel, I would have the front covered with the 3m plastic film.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4227 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
I got a turbo premium plus a few months back. If you have any specific questions on it feel free to ask.

Both the dealership and Mazdas customer service has been horrible on a recall issue though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tavman,

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post