SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we talk a little about photo ID being required for voting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we talk a little about photo ID being required for voting? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I didn't want to drift the Trump Presidency thread, but HighZonie's post on page 334 brought the question back to my mind.

Here's his link: https://www.theepochtimes.com/...-id-law_3187742.html

I heard last week about NC planning to require photo ID and the feds preparing to block the requirement, and I don't think I know enough about this.

Put very simply, my question is this: "what's the problem with requiring a photo ID?"

I have heard in the past that some claim it's discriminatory. I'd like an explanation on that, because at the moment I don't see how.

Are there other reasons people would fight against having to present photo ID? (Aside from the old saw about going to multiple districts to vote more than once....)

We require a photo ID for driving (driver's license), we require a photo ID for buying beer/wine/smokes, we require photo ID for a ton of activities. So why is voting different? What solid reason is there for not requiring a photo ID?

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
But the disenfranchised poor folk don't know how to get one them there fancy voting IDs.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I am a little puzzled. Why would the feds be blocking an ID requirement for voting.

We have that ID here in Virginia, as least as far as I know. They ask for it every time I go to vote. Our driver's licenses have our photo on them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Voting is a right. The other activities you mentioned are privileges. Sadly, some rights require licenses....

I have no clue beyond some claim the inability to gain a photo ID. Every State I have lived in (at least 10), have offered ID for voting for free by simply going to DMV and requesting it.

That's all I got.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
But the disenfranchised poor folk don't know how to get one them there fancy voting IDs.

I knew something like that would be stated in this discussion... it did when I had this discussion with family last week. Mom's example: "poor old Bessie, grew up on the farm and rarely left it. Has no need for a driver's license; Paw always drives if we go somewhere. Bessie never worked outside the home or off the farm, so never needed any photo ID."

I get that. There are people in my area who {sort of} match Bessie's description. But it's not like they can't ever go get an ID, or that they can't afford one. Non-driver ID's are freebie, I recall. And modern days are... well... modern. It's not like Bessie's got to hitch up a buggy and a team of horses to get to the big city, or risk breaking her arm cranking the old Model T over.

It's not as if elections come up spur-of-the-moment, either. You've got four solid years, typically, before the next one. Plenty of time to hitch a ride to town and get an ID.

My brother's argument was that people like Bessie who never leave the farm probably don't even vote in the first place. But that's taking the discussion down a different path. He went on to point out that even the Amish people he used to work with/around had photo IDs, despite needing very little of what "the city" had to offer.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put very simply, my question is this: "what's the problem with requiring a photo ID?"

Nothing.
Is simply a false notion that allows the Dems to claim victim points.
They know it.
You know it.
Everybody knows it.
[/GEICO]

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Cuz everyone who wants to look at my photo is a bigot. Duh! Wink
Your right, it's stupid.

Posts: 1097 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I travel for work and have to show a photo ID before any hotel lets me check in. I'd argue voting is way more important than a hotel stay. There are many ways to get photo ID's, if someone can't be bothered they shouldn't be able to vote.

Posts: 164 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I value my right and responsibility to vote.
So much so, that I am pleased we have photo ID to vote in my area, and would that it be used everywhere, because I do not want anyone "stealing" another's vote, nor "stealing" the value of another's vote, without regard to the party/person anyone the vote is cast.

I am to go as far as making it (in principle or idealistic) a capital offense for "stealing/devaluing" votes, and vote fraud and such. I am that passionate.

I can see no reason to deny a photo ID requirement, but that does not mean there is not valid argument against it. I just have not thought of it, or heard of it. But am certainly open to being informed.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Not a damned thing is holding anyone back from getting an ID. If they are of the age to get Social Security, they have to have it direct deposited into a bank. If they have a bank account they have ID. Those that are drawing some sort of disability meet the same requirements as the older folks. Have any kind of public utility in your name...you have ID. Try getting a cell phone contract without one!

Democrats just don't want the voting roles checked for accuracy. Every time there is an election, I have a serious doubt about the real outcome because of this. There's just too many opportunities for some bad actors to do things that may sway things one way or another. Just look at how many ballots are "found" in the back of someones car or some other unsecured location.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Voting is a right. The other activities you mentioned are privileges. Sadly, some rights require licenses....

I have no clue beyond some claim the inability to gain a photo ID. Every State I have lived in (at least 10), have offered ID for voting for free by simply going to DMV and requesting it.

That's all I got.

This.
15th Amendment prohibits the federal government and each state from denying a citizen the right to vote based on that citizen's "race, color, or previous condition of servitude', and then there's the 19th, which prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex.

In many states, despite what's spelled out in the 2nd Amendment, a ID/DL is necessary requirement to purchase/own a firearm. It seems like some states require ID for some things but, abhor the idea of requiring an ID for something else.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Most other countries in the world manage to require ID for voting without anyone complaining that is disenfranchises anyone. In fact some very poor and relatively backwards countries like India manage to do it on a huge scale. If there is a problem obtaining ID then that problem should be addressed. The voting process must be seen to be fair, and allowing anyone to vote without their proving that they are eligible and voting only once casts serious doubts on the fairness of the system.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1514 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I have heard in the past that some claim it's discriminatory. I'd like an explanation on that, because at the moment I don't see how.

Because the ones using this excuse are the ones who always pull out the race card. Of course it is not racist. But Democrats use the charge of racism in almost every single voter issue out there, yet their actions on voter ID is racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW2LpFkVfYk

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Here in Florida you need a voters registration card (does not have ID). If the poor can get that, they can get a FL I.D. (with picture). Everything else you do requires a picture ID from flying, to buying beer and cigarettes if you're younger, to entering the courthouse, etc.

The democrats don't want it, because it makes it easier to get fraudulent votes.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is past history however, legislation has addressed this and we're many generations removed from those times. Nevertheless, the Democrats continue to pick at old wounds and refuse to allow those scars to heal. The passage of the 24th Amendment, which prohibited a poll tax was one of the major issues post Civil War/Jim Crow-era, that certain states in the South utilized, to marginalize African-American populations despite passage of the 15th Amendment.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Requiring a picture ID practically eliminates the possibility of people voting more than once and the demoncrats know it. It’s as simple as that. So they say you’re a racist SOB if you support the requirement.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my little corner of VA requires me to present a photo ID when I vote,

I offered up my voter registration card and was told thanks, but we need to see your ID,,

I have no problem with that at all,

did find it odd they had sent me a new voter registration card and did not want to see it,

quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I am a little puzzled. Why would the feds be blocking an ID requirement for voting.

We have that ID here in Virginia, as least as far as I know. They ask for it every time I go to vote. Our driver's licenses have our photo on them.

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

nothing

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
This discussion is going the way I thought it would... because there doesn't seem to be a good reason to NOT require photo ID for voting.

So. On what grounds do the feds want to block NC's effort to require photo ID? Where's the good reason?

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I'm a poll worker, we are not allowed to ask for ID unless if the poll sign in requests it. Regardless, all day, just about everyone hands us their ID.

Many times, it makes it easier with hard to spell names, or names that have one or more hyphens.

Our poll sign in are tablets now that scan the barcode on Driver ID. Great time saver!

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post