SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drilling Holes In Concrete?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drilling Holes In Concrete? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In a facilities operation, we rented Hilti equipment and fasteners frequently. It worker and did the job well.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Why must you drill holes? Can't you just shoot them in with a ramset? No conventional building method I can think of uses drilling as a method of attaching framing. Usually a bottom plate is nailed to floor and underside of floor joists and then 2x4 or 2x3 framing is used between the two.

I am the furthest thing from an expert, but I would have thought this was the proper method.

I'm not an expert either, but nailing bottom plates to concrete doesn't meet hurricane code where as threaded fasteners do. Also, studs are strapped to the bottom and top plates with metal straps and lots of nails; joists, rafters, trusses, etc. are also strapped.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Rent a Hilti and be done with it. The cheap hammer drills will not work well, Hilti and others are made for this and will drill through the concrete like it’s butter.

This was my experience.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why must you drill holes? Can't you just shoot them in with a ramset? No conventional building method I can think of uses drilling as a method of attaching framing.

I am the furthest thing from an expert, but I would have thought this was the proper method.

Technology marches on. I've been reading up on it a bit. Two advantages of these new "spring spikes" are: 1. They're resistant to backing-out from vibration. (Because of the spring action?) 2. They can be removed.

Anyway: As I said: The rotary hammer drill would be more all-around useful.

To that end: I've been reading consumer and professional ratings and reviews. Looks like the Bosch 11255VSR, at $180-$200 would be a good way to go.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
To that end: I've been reading consumer and professional ratings and reviews. Looks like the Bosch 11255VSR, at $180-$200 would be a good way to go.

That's the one I bought about 10 years ago. It makes short work of drilling 1/2" holes in the garage slab, and even shorter work for many other smaller holes. $180 for the tool plus $28 for a drill bit set at Amazon. You can also get a chisel bit for a bigger variety of work.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
quote:
Why must you drill holes? Can't you just shoot them in with a ramset? No conventional building method I can think of uses drilling as a method of attaching framing. Usually a bottom plate is nailed to floor and underside of floor joists and then 2x4 or 2x3 framing is used between the two.

I'm not an expert either, but nailing bottom plates to concrete doesn't meet hurricane code where as threaded fasteners do.

These aren't threaded, so they likewise unlikely meet hurricane code.

It's moot, for this project, anyway. I'm not going to do a sill. If I put a sill in, then I have to isolate it from the floor with a moisture-proof barrier. Instead I'll use Silva's method and simply not let any wood or wallboard come directly in contact with any concrete.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use corded hammer drill (DeWalt) and concrete tungsten carbide bits (Bosch I think) from Home Depot. Drilled 8 5" deep holes for my safe (in 2 locations) and it drilled thru them like butter.

The DeWalt was like $130 or so I think but got it for $80 for an opened box.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
unlikely meet hurricane code.

Imagine if you need hurricane reinforced 1x3 studs in a basement to withstand a Cat 4 Hurricane in SE Michigan then you have bigger problems than how the woods fastened to the concrete.

I got a B&D Hammer/Rotary at Home Depost 10 or 12 years ago, used it to drill in for tapcons to put up plywood for hurricanes. We did probably 5 or 6 homes in one day, lots of holes, it never skipped a beat, still runs well today.

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I've got a corded Makita that Home Depot sells that was under $100. It has always been fine for smaller holes. I've used it to drill into a couple different basement walls and it has powered through them quickly. I also tend to use the Bosch bits, if that matters.

Actually, I have two of these drills, but one has a busted chuck. I lent it out to drill a bunch of 3/4" holes in some concrete blocks, and the chuck locked up solid on it. We managed to get the bit out, but the chuck won't open or close anymore. It's frozen. The motor and hammer are still fine, but the chuck couldn't take the abuse from that rather-large bit and the constant use for a couple of days. Buying a new chuck was looking like it would be about $60, and a whole new drill was about $90, so I just bought a second one!

For smaller holes it has always been fine, but it just didn't have the power to work that big 3/4" bit. For the size holes you are looking at drilling, it should do just fine.

- Bret

Posts: 2476 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
unlikely meet hurricane code.

Imagine if you need hurricane reinforced 1x3 studs in a basement to withstand a Cat 4 Hurricane in SE Michigan then you have bigger problems than how the woods fastened to the concrete.

I got a B&D Hammer/Rotary at Home Depost 10 or 12 years ago, used it to drill in for tapcons to put up plywood for hurricanes. We did probably 5 or 6 homes in one day, lots of holes, it never skipped a beat, still runs well today.

Wink

I didn't think buildings in Michigan were at hurricane risk, but as I said, I'm not an expert.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Tool acquisition mission accomplished! Got the Bosch rotary hammer drill and even got them to match Lowe's and Amazon's price of $179. Their price for 3/16"x6-1/2" Bosch SDS bits was competitive, so I bought three of those.

Just got the 3/16"x4" Powers spring spikes on order via AP.

Can't wait to see how this bad boy performs Smile, but I have a bit more demolition to do, first. And materials (rigid foam insulation, adhesive, 100' of 1x3) to acquire.

I'll update this thread later, on how the drill works out.

quote:
I didn't think buildings in Michigan were at hurricane risk, but as I said, I'm not an expert.

Tornadoes. We're at the extreme NE end of Tornado Alley.

I'm still not screwing a sill to the floor Smile

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
You will be very happy with the Bosch.
I borrow my buddies and it drills concrete like butter.

I have to admit I would like to try Harbor Freights for $100 less.
They seem to have come a long way from the old Chicago Electric Days
https://m.harborfreight.com/1-...ammer-kit-63443.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of using spring spikes. It's much faster then traditional anchors and avoids the issues that come with Tapcons.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will love the Bosch. We use them at work for hanging forms and I have days where I will drill 1,000 or more holes. We also have the Dewalt at work and it seems as though they stay in the box and the Bosch is always in use.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
You will be very happy with the Bosch.
I borrow my buddies and it drills concrete like butter.

Thanks. Lookin' forward to giving it a go.

quote:
I have to admit I would like to try Harbor Freights for $100 less.

I briefly considered it. In fact a Chicago drill was the second one listed in this 11 Hammer Drill Comparison Test.

Where tools are concerned I tend to stick with job site-/commercial-grade stuff. "Buy once, cry once" kind of a thing. So I have not been inclined to try HF tools.

quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I like the idea of using spring spikes. It's much faster then traditional anchors and avoids the issues that come with Tapcons.

Tom Silva sure made them look easy. Remains to be seen if they are for me Wink

quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:
You will love the Bosch. We use them at work for hanging forms and I have days where I will drill 1,000 or more holes. We also have the Dewalt at work and it seems as though they stay in the box and the Bosch is always in use.

Thanks.

I have a couple DeWalt power tools. A quarter-sheet palm sander and a reciprocating saw. They both perform adequately for me. But DeWalt is about as "low" on my Personal Tool Grade Scale as I'm inclined to go.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That article is 6 years old. HF has a new line of power tools branded Bauer that from handling them and their specs blow the old Chicago Electric out of the water.

I think HF is really trying to up their game in the electric tools and generator realm.

I would say in a couple years they will be the KIA of the car world.
Started out as complete and utter crap but worked their way up as a contender to the big boys. Not quite as good as the big boys but the lower price and better warranty makes them just fine for 75% of people.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
That article is 6 years old. HF has a new line of power tools branded Bauer that from handling them and their specs blow the old Chicago Electric out of the water.

I think HF is really trying to up their game in the electric tools and generator realm.

I would say in a couple years they will be the KIA of the car world.
Started out as complete and utter crap but worked their way up as a contender to the big boys. Not quite as good as the big boys but the lower price and better warranty makes them just fine for 75% of people.

An article on comparisons of Bauer to PowerPlus, Master Mechanic, and LuTool.

https://toolcraze.net/bauer-20...powerplus-20v-tools/

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Hilti or a Bosch Bulldog. Makes drilling very easy.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, I have had more luck drilling into concrete using a regular cordless drill with a masonry bit. The hammer drill setting is worthless.

To put a bunch of anchors into our concrete foundation for a project of mine, I used my Milwaukee cordless drill and just drilled, and sucked out the dust every few inches. Worked like a charm. I was seriously impressed.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not our basement walls would you drill that way--trust me. At least not the 50+ holes I'll have to drill. The garage floor? No problem. Did it, myself, soon after buying the place, to secure a "floppy" short section of wall.

The basement walls in this place are the hardest concrete I've ever encountered.

I recall when I added a quad outlet behind the washer and dryer. Hardest part was drilling the holes to mount the box and secure the conduit.