SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DMSO -- The Pain Killer, Anti-Inflammatory and Rapid Healing Agent. Who Else Uses It?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DMSO -- The Pain Killer, Anti-Inflammatory and Rapid Healing Agent. Who Else Uses It? Login/Join 
Picture of EasyFire
posted
This has been my experience.
DMSO – Dimethyl Sulfoxide. Horse Liniment . I have used this as a topical treatment for pain since the middle 1960 - over 5 decades (I am 73) and found it vastly superior to simple pain killers like aspirin and such. Superior to even the opioids like hydrocodone and oxycodone. And yes I do know what pain is with 18 under the gas surgeries including 5 hernia, knee work, 2 rotator cuff repair, carpel tunnel, etc. etc.

No addictive properties, but a couple of minor side effects. Makes your breath smell like garlic or oysters. The more you use, the longer it lasts. In addition, when put on your skin, it feels like a mild sunburn for about 15 minutes.

A couple of cautions. Since it breaks the blood barrier, it can carry anything on your skin into your blood stream. If you have gasoline, paint thinner or even skin cream at the application site, that substance will shortly be in your blood stream. I clean my skin before I apply it. Furthermore, with the rapid pain relief of 15 to 20 minutes, you will think you are all healed up. You are not healed up. Baby your injury just the same. Re-injury is easy.

It is cheap. I pay $4.99 for 4 oz. at farm stores like Big R, Murdock’s that carry it in the horse supply department. Last me about 1 year.

This has been my experience with DMSO. Check it out with your doctor or the numerous books available on the internet.

So who else uses it? And What are your results?

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just curious, is there another ingredient that adds to the analgesic properties? (In pharma, DSMO is usually used as a delivery vehicle for other medications).

I was a drug rep for Pennsaid 2%, which is a topical with 2% diclofenac using DSMO as a delivery vehicle to dull pain.

If it's only DSMO, ask your doc for some PENNSAID. That'll really fix ya good.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Like Ramius just stated, "check the other ingredients of the Horse Liniment." The DMSO just carries other materials across cellular membranes. It is used medically for through the skin injections and to aid delivery of some topical treatments.

I use it in the lab to deliver test peptide sequences to test cells for easy cellular uptake.

Just my experience and knowledge,

Mike (Molecular Biologist/Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I use it in the pure form - no other ingredients. And yes I am aware of its use as a carrier of other materials.

I find it excellent all by itself.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
I've used it, as needed, since the mid sixties. Agree completely with the OP's results, and skin cleansing precautions.

A Vet friend gave me some to try for what the Docs described as tennis elbow. The Doc's meds and shots had no effect, but the DMSO totally cleared up the problem after a few weeks.

I'm sold........ Smile

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
DMSO has an interesting side affect.
My dad heard that DMSO would help ease the pain of his arthritis. He asked me to find some and send it to him.
I located some at a feed store outside of Houston. The sales guy warned me that it had an odd side affect. The instant you applied it to your skin you’d have the taste of raw oysters in your mouth. When I called dad to tell him about the raw oyster taste affect, he replied, “Go ahead and get me two bottles.”
I wasn’t aware that he loved raw oysters. We lost him a little after that, so I have no idea how well it works.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had close experience with it in the 70s & 80s for a chronic issue. It provided relief where nothing else did. As far as I can tell decades later there were no side effects contraindicating anything.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not saying that this is a good idea but a friend of mine who competes in world strongman competition crushes aspirin and mixes it with DMSO and swears it’s the best pain reliever of any kind. I’ve never tried it and probably never will.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I had a masseuse who use to use it. Works like magic.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DMSO has been used by athletes for years. It was a product of the forest industry. Sort of discovered by accident by a chemist (So the story went twenty some years ago) in the forest industry in Oregon.
Vets sold it early on "Horse lenenment" I had a friend with "tennis elbow" really bad. I took him to a vet and he used it and was back to work the next day.
I have a roll on tube. Easiest way I've found to use it. Especially great for treating burns immediately. Usually even prevents blistering.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post