SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a self contained streaming speaker (does it even exist?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a self contained streaming speaker (does it even exist?) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I don't even know if this exists.

Essentially what I want is a speaker that uses data so that I can stream spotify, IHeart...etc off of that one device, and hear from that device.

The trick is that wifi is not an option, it has to get it's service from data.

I cannot 'hot spot' because I need access to the phone and don't want to lose my music everytime the phone rings.

Help?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12341 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any streaming speaker with a cellular radio, but if you use your phone as a hotspot it just creates a wifi network for the speaker to use. You don't lose usage of your phone or your music when the phone rings. It will drain your phone battery faster though.

Posts: 3664 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't lose usage of your phone or your music when the phone rings. It will drain your phone battery faster though.

When I hotspot, the music stops and the phone rings thru the speaker.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12341 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
You don't lose usage of your phone or your music when the phone rings. It will drain your phone battery faster though.

Mine too. But there might be something in the options menu to make that stop the interruption.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hmm, sounds more like a BT connection than WIFI via hotspot

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10946 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Ronin, that seems strange. That sounds like you are using Bluetooth to connect, and the phone is pushing telephone audio.

A HOTSPOT however is just a pure wifi data network, same as any internet connection. No audio should be pushed. For instance, connecting your laptop using your phone's WiFi hotspot wouldn't make your laptop ring like a telephone while surfing sigforum.

Also, even if you ARE connecting to a BLUETOOTH speaker, most phones these days allow you to separate Bluetooth Telephone and Media function, specifically so that your calls don't get played over the loudspeaker. Check your settings, maybe a plain ole Bluetooth speaker would work for you?

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What kind of phone?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ronin, that seems strange. That sounds like you are using Bluetooth to connect, and the phone is pushing telephone audio.

I should have been more clear.

Yes, that is what I am doing. What I want is to use the phone to push the music, but not have the 'speaker' ring if I get a call.

Samsung phone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to pay for an extra phone line just to have my music uninterrupted. The cell service is going to run you at least $30-40 more a month.

When I answer my phone I an option to select device or BT to answer call with, but it does stop the music, which I would do anyways to take the call, especially since a good amount of what I listen to is NSFW.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Go to your Bluetooth Settings (not familiar with Samsung in particular, I use a Pixel). The setting can usually be reached by pressing and holding on the bluetooth icon in your settings tray, or, searching your settings.

There, you'll see a list of all previously connected bluetooth devices. Hit the settings icon for the device you want to use.

There, I have three toggles: Phone Calls, Media Audio, and Contact Sharing. Turn off Phone calls and Contact Sharing.

You should now be able to push audio without the phone calls interrupting.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^ just tried that with my phone, music stopped but resumes as soon as I hang up. Cool, didn't need to select headset, it defaults to that now. Thanks Aeteocles.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
An Echo or Dot? Dont know if itll stream those other services, but probably. I have Amazon Prime and you can stream Prime music...All it needs is wifi connection. You can control with app or voice.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get an echo/dot etc. Set up a Wi-Fi hotspot off your phone. Connect the speaker to the internet through the hotspot.

Dont use Bluetooth.

Or get a tablet that has cell data and hook up a good speaker through the headphone jack.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you're connecting a Bluetooth speaker that will happen. If you're connecting a wifi speaker through a wifi hotspot, it won't. You just need a streaming speaker that connects directly to the internet through wifi, like Bose or Sonos makes.

Posts: 3664 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I should have been more clear.

Yes, that is what I am doing. What I want is to use the phone to push the music, but not have the 'speaker' ring if I get a call.

Samsung phone.

I totally understand. I have wanted the same thing for ages. When off road, I want to capture video without losing the music playing in the truck. Once I start the video camera, the music stops.

Only solution I have found, is to use an ole iPhone as my jukebox and my phone stays my phone.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'd get a second phone, myself, or a tablet. Nearly any damn thing will do.

Share your same minutes and data with both devices. Like a family plan. But just for you.

Drug dealers have Burner phones, you'll have a Streamer phone.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post