SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In Case You Were Wondering Whose Health The U.S. "Health Care" Industry Is Looking Out For...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Case You Were Wondering Whose Health The U.S. "Health Care" Industry Is Looking Out For... Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
quote:

AHA Sues Feds Over Privacy Warning About Web Tracker Use
Hospital Groups Say HHS Exceeded Its Authority by Issuing HIPAA-Related 'Rule'
Marianne Kolbasuk McGee (HealthInfoSec) • November 7, 2023

The American Hospital Association, along with three other organizations, has filed a federal lawsuit seeking to have the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services withdraw guidance issued last year warning that the use of online trackers by hospitals potentially violates HIPAA.

Now, the AHA's lawsuit not only wants to have HHS OCR's web tracker guidance repealed, but the group also seeks a court ruling saying that the "proscribed combination" of a patient's IP address or email address with certain other identifiers does not constitute "individually identifiable health information" that is HIPAA-protected.

Despite the scrutiny of regulators at HHS and FTC, the AHA's complaint "admits plaintiffs want to collect and disclose consumer email and IP addresses to third-party vendors," Hales said.

The complaint claims that the hospitals and members of the other plaintiff associations "wish" to use online technologies on unauthenticated public webpages to collect and disclose the "proscribed combination" of identifiers to third-party technology vendors but are refraining from doing so in various ways based on HHS's threat to enforce the guidance.
Full article: AHA Sues Feds Over Privacy Warning About Web Tracker Use

TL;DR: It ain't your health that most concerns them, it's theirs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Well, I'll be! Somebody post that shock face, please. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26489 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
We may pay the freight but we’re just an annoyance to them - how dare we get sick and actually have to use the service we paid for.

Posts: 53234 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
My parents are of an age where they have complete trust in their doctors. I used to but my wife has worked in health care for the last 30 years. I've seen many changes. Most doctors no longer own their own practice.

I no longer believe that the U.S. "Health Care" Industry Is Looking Out for patients. Doctors are not accountable to patients. Patients, for the most part, aren't (directly) paying them, so they are more accountable to hospitals (employers), insurance companies, and government regulators.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24176 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Well, I'll be! Somebody post that shock face, please. Big Grin
I know, right?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure my old physician was working for her attorney

Posts: 53234 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local hospital was sucked up by a corporation that covered half the state. That corp was merged with one on the other side of the state so our local hospital is now a part of an organization that's hundreds of miles away. The corp appointed a President whose background is in IT. That tells you their priorities.

Half of the desks in the intake area are unoccupied and everyone who works there is seemingly in fear of being the next cut. Lab tests that used to be run in house are now done 100 miles away. The business is all about $$. The one saving grace is that the people are locals who still make the patient their priority...for now.

Posts: 688 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Read “Oryx and Crake”. It is a dystopian novel that pretty much sums up the goal of the pseudo-medical industry. The basic premise is that it keep you just sick enough to keep seeking treatment until your finances are exhausted. Sound familiar?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post