SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help finding the right word describing type of wisdom
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help finding the right word describing type of wisdom Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I’ve hit up thesaurus.com to no avail

The word I’m looking for describes my Dad’s wisdom in buying me a toy lawnmower when I was a kid, getting me to push the toy lawnmower along side him as he mowed the yard, and having me looking forward to becoming old enough to mow.

Brainwashing, seditious, nefarious, etc are the wrong words as they’re too negative

Suggestive as in terms of hypnosis is close

For the smart asses, genius or brilliant aren’t the word I’m looking for either.

What brought this up is my friends got their daughter a toy cleaning kit for Christmas and the last 6 werks she has been going around the house happily pretending to clean.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Tom Sawyer’d Razz

Posts: 23556 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prescient might get you close, not sure it's exactly what you're looking for though.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
What about "instilled?"

edited for definition:
in·stillDictionary result for instill
/inˈstil/Submit
verb
past tense: instilled; past participle: instilled
gradually but firmly establish (an idea or attitude, especially a desirable one) in a person's mind.
"how do we instill a sense of rightness in today's youth?"
synonyms: inculcate, implant, fix, ingrain, infuse, impress, imprint, introduce; More

Bold for reasoning....

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Cunning?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Conditioning
Molding
Leading
Influencing

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patient

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2365 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prescience may be the word you're looking for.

Ken

Posts: 1050 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Intuitive, instinctual

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
As Foghorn Leghorn would say, you been hornswoggled son...bamboozled!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Tom Sawyer’d Razz

Bahahahahahaha this!

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Conditioning
Classical conditioning (e.g. Pavlov's dog) is pretty close except the reward was being like Dad not the physical reward like a treat.

Operant conditioning doesn't fit as there was no negative consequences for not playing with the toy lawnmower

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conditioning
Training
Indoctrination

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Perspicacious.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspirational

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Mentoring

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5059 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Conditioning
Molding
Leading
Influencing

These things.

Children want to do what grown ups are doing, naturally.

My son has a toy lawn mower, and a toy snow blower, and more, because he wants to do what I'm doing. It's not a cunning plot on my part, and in fact these are useful things he'll have to do when he's an adult.

The wisdom, is letting it happen.

The idiots, are the people who don't encourage this behavior, or later have a landscaping company or plow service do the mowing/shoveling.

I'm glad my parents had me do those things, because I don't mind doing them now.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27018 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyAgShooter:
Indoctrination
I like indoctrinated. I'm going with this.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Craftiness, artfulness would both be appropriate, I think.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Grooming

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post