Find
Notify
Tools

NRA feelings Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
I have perceived a disdain of the NRA amongst some members of the forum. Why is that?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
An incessant call for donations

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Life member here. People can ankle bite about things they may not like.

Taking it as the whole, us gun owners are much better off with a stong NRA than none.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

That's the main reason and to a certain existent why I have a shredder. I'm a life member of the NRA but the constant hand out begging for donations is nettlesome.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well we sure love their work and protection of our rights, the lawsuits they file on our behalf, the amount of work done to keep ranges open, guns for sale, permits obtainable, that stuff isn't free to accomplish.

A little money now and then helps keep them flush, for the next D potus with a hard on for guns, and when that fight starts we'll be begging for their help.

Seems to me giving a little during the good times helps prepare for the bad times, you know like buying ammo when it's cheap and stocking up...

Posts: 23458 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no qualms,
ok they need to get gun testers who can write or writers that know how to write a gun test evaluation.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Yes, the fund raising gets to be annoying.

But in addition to that, many are sometimes irked by the NRA accepting half a loaf when we want the whole loaf.

As stated above, we are FAR, FAR better off with the NRA than we would be without it. We need the NRA. And it's fair to say that expectations that the NRA would be "perfect" are just childish, as no institution run by men will ever be perfect.

I think it's OK to be aggravated by some, maybe even many, aspects of the NRA. But God help us if the NRA is ever shut down.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not from me ~ truly thankful for the NRA.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
NRA Life/Patron here

yes, their incessant call for funds is a bit annoying but the problems they face are relentless

where would we all be today without the NRA?

so is the cost of a few boxes of ammo to the NRA every so often really that much of an inconvenience

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53188 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I'm thankful that the NRA exists. They work with the CRPA often, and Lord knows without those two groups, guns would be outlawed in this ridiculous state.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
NJ NY CA IL MD CT MA those members deserve their firepower and yet they stay in the foxhole....

I got this yesterday:

As we count down to a very important election in New Jersey this year, your NRA is continuing to reach out to the Second Amendment supporters all across the state. As your local Campaign Field Representative, I would like to let you know about a few NRA Days I will be hosting. So come out and learn what you can do this election cycle to fight for your gun rights.

When:
Saturday September 30th
11:00 AM-4:00 PM

Where:
Garden State Shooting Center
1955 Swarthmore Ave.
Lakewood, NJ 08701

When:
Sunday October 1st
12:00-4:00 PM

Where:
RTSP Range
961 Route 10 East
Randolph, NJ 07869

When:
Saturday October 7th
9:00 AM-2:00 PM

Where:
Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club
168 S. Stump Tavern Rd.
Jackson, NJ 08527

Feel free to forward this email to your pro-gun friends and family. Come, grab some free bumper sticker and more and find out how you can get involved in this election cycle. Also, you will have an opportunity to win a prize.

Yours in Freedom,

Melissa Gokmogol
New Jersey Campaign Field Representative
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
Melissa@nrailafrontlines.com
702-755-4420

My Reply to her:
IF THE NRA DID IT’S JOB, WE IN NJ WOULDN’T, Have to
"come out and learn what you can do this election cycle to fight for your gun rights."

Seems to us in NJ, The NRA threw up it’s hands and it’s about to get a lot worse when the Jon Corzine clone, Phil Murphy get’s elected. Loretta Weinberg will overturn all of Christie's executive orders.
No One fought against the town of Ramsey, from the NRA.

It’s a dirty corrupt state and if the NRA, won’t fight it with us, who will?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Lifer here. I don't get calls, just the monthly magazine and the occasional mailed solicitation that goes right into the trash. Overall, I'm pleased and thankful for their support for our rights.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38683 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish they could figure out a way to attract more members, instead of the virtually daily badgering for more money from the ones that always renew and contribute, to whatever extent.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I asked them to stop calling and they have. I do still get the mailings but that is not as bothersome.

I was just thinking that it's time to donate again.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5754 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's always fun to visit these threads and learn how ungrateful I am for not wanting to tolerate the fundraising techniques of a lobby.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
instead of the virtual daily badgering for more money

You've heard that work expands to fill the amount of time you have to do it, right? It does the same thing to your budget.

If there's any disdain I've heard around here, it's been a reaction (IIRC) to the NRA not being aggressive enough in court cases or the NRA backing a politician that isn't ideal from gun nuts' perspective. Personally, I tend to get irked from time to time with the way they spend the money they get - as in, I'd like to see more legal challenges and less mailers.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an NRA 'life' member, and do not always agree with their tactics, political strategy, chosen spokes-person's, etc., but on the whole, they have steadfastly stood by to defend the 2A and gun owner's, and without them I believe that we would already be in the same lousy boat as the U.K. and Australia and the like.

You can call and/or e-mail to tell them to place you on the 'do not solicit' list, which will reduce those annoyances to almost 0. They hit me up with only a couple of robo-calls during presidential elections.

Rob

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
It's been posted on this site how to get off their solicitation list. I followed that advice and I don't think I ever get any solicitations by mail. I don't believe they have my phone number, so I don't get any calls from them.

Posts: 5762 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
They endorsed Democrat Chris Koster for Missouri Governor.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I am a Life benefactor member. I get very few mailings and no calls. My interest in NRA is the competition side. Especially traditional marksmanship. Bullseye, hi-power, smallbore, international matches.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post