New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA feelings Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Thank god for the NRA. They make mistakes, conduct a non-stop fundraising effort (like most non-profits) and aren't perfect, but they represent the interests of gun owners very well in DC and in courts all over the country.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I get lots of mail, but zero spam e-mails from them, unlike everybody else I've given money to and the people who bought my contact info from them. Still getting calls and e-mails from the Ted Cruz folks.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
When I joined the NRA as a youth, it was all about learning to shoot and competition. And then they created the ILA and it became more politically oriented. Granted there were some tough years during the Clinton and Obama administrations, but the constant fund raising and crying wolf has become tiresome and I have mostly tuned them out. FYI, I am a Benefactor life member.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have been a member for 45 years or so and most recently a Benefactor. If you tell them not to call you, they won't. If it were not for the NRA, the 2nd Amendment would have been lost years ago. They are the best friend we gun owners have and I can tolerate a lot for the good they do.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
If it were not for the NRA, the 2nd Amendment would have been lost years ago.
I don't believe this, not for a second.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Life member checking in. The NRA is my choice for chief representation.

I don't have too much of a problem with their mailings, I get them very infrequently. Same with email. I wish I can say the same for the Republican Party, who spam me relentlessly with USPS mail and email.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I was a member for 8 years before I realized that even though I was willing to endure all the calls for money, all the friends of nra events, and all the auctions I couldn't stomach the lack of representation in my state.

Yes I know, its my fault I live in CT, but the NRA feeds off the rich in ct but never have I seen them work to change the gun climate here. Lost cause or not, my donations are needed here.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
It feels to me like a self serving entity. I have not renewed in a long time. I support local organization instead.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
NRA sucks on some ballsack for such things as -

Supporting "Big" Luther Strange in Alabama as it's Senate candidate and putting falsehoods in their paid ads for said support.

With that being said, I have to be a member to maintain my membership to my local range.

So, I sign the fucks a check once a year for minimum membership fee and throw about that equal amount of cash worth of paper and postage in the mail a month...

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no longer a member due to the calls, I asked them repeatly not to call me and they continued. Then 3 months before time to renew they started calling even more to let me know it was time to renew. After the 3rd time I told them if they called back I would not renew. They called again a week later...

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
I'm no longer a member due to the calls, I asked them repeatedly not to call me and they continued. Then 3 months before time to renew they started calling even more to let me know it was time to renew. After the 3rd time I told them if they called back I would not renew. They called again a week later...
Y'see, this is the problem. Members tell me that all you have to do is opt out, but that's not necessarily true.

Every single time this subject comes up in the forum, the same contradictory statements appear. I'm not calling anyone a liar. I am saying that the NRA is - apparently- inconsistent and capricious in their fundraising efforts. Some NRA members opt out, and they're left alone. Other NRA members opt out, and they continue to get hounded by the NRA, incessantly. I'm not havin' it, and the NRA is not the Second Amendment.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of billr
posted Hide Post
I'm a life member, but I'm also very happy they never found me when I moved. I couldn't get them to leave me alone no matter what I tried.

--
When you rest your steak and your whiskey upon the table you have made, you feel pretty goddamn tall for keeping those treats off the ground.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
^QED

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I get one maybe two calls a year - oh the horror of it all. Frown
I am a Life Member too.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I get one maybe two calls a year - oh the horror of it all. Frown
You might want to read the thread a bit closer before you try to belittle my point. Members aren't talking about one or two calls a year, or is the frequency all the same to you?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Many have nailed it here. I finally got them toned down on the number of emails I get daily begging for money. Then I put in for information on their Carry Guard instructor program. 6 weeks in since the request and fundraising emails have increased to the point of absurdity. Oh, and no information on their program.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Life member and I receive 0 calls from them per year, a monthly magazine, and maybe one or two mailings a year. I believe you have to login to your account, and uncheck all the promotion stuff.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's always fun to visit these threads and learn how ungrateful I am for not wanting to tolerate the fundraising techniques of a lobby.

Yes it is.

I'm sick of getting pinged all the time too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I haven't been solicited via mail or telephone by the NRA for several years. I talked to member services and asked them to quit and they did. Are those of you who are being pestered after asking them to stop, subscribing to a magazine who could be selling your info?

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have a Very good friend that is a recruiter for members.. He was at a Large international convention last month.. and signed people from UK . Germany , Canada, and also the Netherlands. All of them said they knew that the NRA needed to keep fighting .. the guy from Canada said he wished they had them fighting for them.

The NRA spent a Lot of money campaigning against Hillary.. and I believe some of them got through to people. There are many good organizations that also help, but the NRA seems to get the most press. I ask them to not call and I am an endowment Life member they dont call much.
The NRA also does a lot of training, and helping kids learn to shoot.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9072 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post