SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Here Use Reddit?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Here Use Reddit? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have a love/hate relationship with the platform myself. One one hand it's got some really informative and great subreddits (what they call a page) on various subjects like lawncare, military vets, the Phillies etc that I'm a part of. In many ways it's just like this place where you have like-minded people all contributing and helping each other on various subjects and spreading knowledge.

On the other hand, it can be THE most frustrating nutjob-level FAR Leftwing place I've ever seen. Post anything about Trump or conservatism in general in any subreddit and you will get dogpiled in seconds and these people are brutal.

They are completely obsessed with Trump to the point that you really start to think they are scared he's going to win again. The TDS is the strongest I've seen of any social media platform, they make FB look like a bunch of wannabees.

I'm starting to think that 50% of the platform are either Chinese or Russkie bots or little snot-nosed kids living in Mommy's basement who adore communism and think they are some sort of revolutionary.

I've learned to just stick where politics doesn't come into play much but you would be amazed at how some of them try to inject it into every discussion nevertheless. Para would have a field day dropping the ban hammer on these idiots.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I occasionally peruse it for technical troubleshooting, tutorial guides, image searches, or product reviews.

I avoid it for anything else, like casual discussions or especially politics.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t have an account, but web searches often find Reddit posts.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I do and mainly just read not get into debates with people.. usually topics/pages such as flashlights/pistols/rifles..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2707 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I used it quite often for knowledge and info regarding hobbies.

Then one day, they told me I had to change my password, and I just said 'the hell with it,' and never went back.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2872 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s great for what I use it for. A ton of info. Some laughs. I stay away from political stuff. Ain’t changing no minds on the interwebs.

Posts: 4320 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yep, those fucks can make anything political. I have to fight to not post replies often.

Posts: 5509 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Reddit is a great big time-suck. But truly, I only cruise it for entertainment value to begin with. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When searching for products or info about things, searching reddit frequently works better than Google. Excect sometimes it's worthless, like Google.

Posts: 2376 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Reddit for gaining information about products and subjects I’m interested in. It’s usually a great place to ask question to get people’s input on a subject that I can’t find the answer for anywhere else. I haven’t seen any political discussion so far but then again I’m not on Reddit all the time.

Posts: 720 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Depends entirely on the group and how it is managed. Some are great and keep the group very focused on the specific subject. Others get overrun with “influencers” or people trying to make money from the platform.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the main subs, don't engage with obvious trolls aside from a quick hit and run bit of snark. The place is overrun with CCP bots, both digital and meat, but it's still a great place to find info and interact with other like minded folks.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17079 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I do but not on any political topics.
Mainly on technical or product areas.
Sometimes for new ideas or sometimes for general information or trouble shooting a tech area.
Seems fine if you don't overdo it or take it too seriously.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

The place is overrun with CCP bots

I think you are right there, they are way too quick in any sort of response in a discussion. It's really crazy, I joined a sub about the state of Pennsylvania, just to discuss various things about our state and all of a sudden in the past 2-3 weeks it has become ALL Orange Man Bad and nothing but that. Then when you object, they descend on you like zombies in World War Z.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've got enuff ways to waste time without adding Reddit.

Posts: 9872 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
There's never been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

It's a great resource for a whole lot of stuff. You've got to have a thick skin though, and you have to be able to ignore/ sort out the bullshit or you're going to have a bad time.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3567 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good for specific topics and fields you're looking for more information on. The flip-side like all user driven content sites locations, you will get the overly-impassioned, extremist types regardless of the topics. It's very easy to shit-post and simply be a troll.
Stay away from politics, it only goes downward.

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it for my hobby of car repair and the cars I own. I learn some new technique of doing repair, troubleshooting, etc. Learn some new tools that make the job easier. I stay out of the political areas. I do like the HarborFreight and MechanicAdvice communities. Sometimes I'll look for reviews or information on a new purchase I'm doing.

P229R - 9mm
Kahr PM9

Posts: 60 | Location: Pocono Mountains, PA | Registered: April 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I think their platform sucks; very clumsy to navigate. But I've been following their Sonos "subreddit" because Sonos did a major upgrade of their app that has been described as a dumpster fire.

Luckily, I heard about the disaster before I got upgraded and so am still on the old version of the app. I check the Sonos subreddit because Sonos actually has one of their tech people on there keeping folks advised on how Sonos is trying to untangle the mess they made.

Posts: 6557 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

The place is overrun with CCP bots

I think you are right there, they are way too quick in any sort of response in a discussion. It's really crazy, I joined a sub about the state of Pennsylvania, just to discuss various things about our state and all of a sudden in the past 2-3 weeks it has become ALL Orange Man Bad and nothing but that. Then when you object, they descend on you like zombies in World War Z.

That's just about any of the local/state subs. You could go into any sub for the reddest city/county in the country, and come away thinking that it was a Democrat stronghold.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17079 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post